Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just sick! I awoke this morning to find one of our thriving, beautiful, 8-day-old pups dead.

The only indication of something amiss was that last night we were commenting on how he seemed to have the most laid-back disposition of the bunch. He was so calm as we held him.

There were no other symptoms (if the above is a symptom), and he had been eating well.

Any thoughts? Do you autopsy pups when this happens? Ugh. I so dread telling our kids when they wake up today.

Thanks.

--C

·
Registered
128 Posts
So sorry Cindy...

I noticed you don't have any responses to this post - probably because nobody really has any helpful information for you. I don't either but I did want to say that I'm sorry about the little guy. You never know about puppies. When I was little my dog had puppies and one died because it choked on a piece of hay they were laying on. Take the opportunity to teach your kids about the fragility of life and how precious it is. Sorry again about the puppy. :cry:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Cindy, I'm sorry I missed this post yesterday and I'm so sorry that your puppy died :cry: Sometimes mother nature has a way of taking care of the pups that have something wrong with them that can't be seen with the naked eye.

Sometimes things happen that are just out of our control, like momma could have laid on him during the night. I know I have gone to bed thinking all the puppies look like they are doing great and then wake up to find one of them fading. These puppies can fade so fast, within a couple of hours and unless you have been breeding for several years, it is really hard to tell when one takes a turn for the worse. It is not uncommon to loose a puppy from time to time from a litter for one reason or another. It is always hard when this happens.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If puppy wriggled away from Momma her temp could have dropped. Once below 96 degress there is NO recovery. Breeding is not for the meek as death is an eminent part of the cycle. I am sorry for your loss. Hopefully this will be the only one that fades. Autopsy is a normal course of action if more than ones dies to insure there is nothing contagious and/or preventable.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi Cindy, I don't think we've met, and I missed this post. I'm so sorry about losing your baby! It's very hard to lose one, especially this "late" after whelping. We almost lost one last year, cuz I guess he just wasn't getting enough chances at the "spigots" :wink:

I'm so sorry...how many were/are in the litter now?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thriving Pup

As an update: I did take Sparky in to our university vet diagnostic lab for a necropsy. They determined that from the bacteria in his system, his mother had not stimulated him enough to "go." (I'm sure there are technical terms for this.) My biggest concern was for the other pups, but all 7 appear to be doing fine.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hello Cindy,
First, I want to apologize for not responding to this very important and heart-wrenching post. I have not been checking the forum regularly, only responding to the posts that are sent to me...
I am so very sorry for your loss. I know that these things happen and that it is out of our hands...but it is something that every breeder dreads and fears.
I lost one of our puppies about 2 hours after he was born. I knew he would not make it, but still, it was so very sad.
I can't imagine the shock and pain of discovering one after 8 days...gosh, I am sorry.
I am glad that you were able to find the answers you needed. I hope that your children didn't hurt too much.
It is such a delicate balance, a mother can lick the puppies too much (causing problems) or not enough...and how are we to know? I guess just through experience.
Again, I am very sorry.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Cindy, sorry to hear about your puppys. The same thing just happened to a friend of mine who breeds shelties. Had a litter of four but went out to find two dead out of the blue. They showed no signs of trouble beforehand. Glad to hear that the vet could at least give you an answer.
Terri Lynn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts