Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, although I have been lurking around for a while. We are due to pick up our puppy at the end of next month. My request was for a chocolate LD and the breeder sent another picture today and she is brindle. The rest of her litter mates are apricot, I believe. The breeder said they had never had a pup with this coloring before. I have gone to a few websites today and although brindle is an exceptable color for a LD it is mostly undesirable. She is brown with a black face and ears and looks to be darker on her paws. I would appreciate your feedback on the brindle for color.
Thanks....soon to me new Doodle Mom

·
Registered
269 Posts
Many people find brindle to be VERY desireable since it is rare... same with parti- technically the show poodles cannot be parti-colored but so many people love the look of party poodles and doodles!

Since we cannot show doodles because they're mixed breeds I say go with what YOU like. Also, I would care more about temperment over coloring... since I am sure they're all very cute!

Take a look around at some other grown up brindles and see if you like the look... Really I dont think you can go wrong with any color!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree with Kelly...if you are looking at what colors are "acceptable" with the Poodle community, you will be surprised to find that they are not only acceptable in the Doodle community, but sought after!
When we got our girls, they were black and turned silver/blue...at first I was very disappointed because I had not seen the coloring before and was really set on a cream colored puppy...well we bought 2 females and they both turned blue and I think that blue is gorgeous!
The coloring looks a bit odd when the puppies begin to turn, but when the adult coat comes in, it is very striking.
So, again, as Kelly says...look for a good temperament, a good breeder, testing, healthy lineage, good socialization and the coloring should be the last thing on your list. I am willing to bet that soon you will be saying that Brindle coloring is your favorite!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

i think my 2 are turning "blue " they were both black when babies but now have brown faces and silver through their coat and have a blue appearance!!

they are nearly a year - will their coat change much more?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your feedback. I guess I had my heart set on a pure chocolate and this was a total surprise. I also do not have experience in purchasing a dog through a breeder that matches and chooses your dog. The breeder I am going through is reputable and I have heard great things about her. It still makes me little nervous. I wish I could post the picture of her as she is very different looking. I am glad I found this board and look forward to learning more from you Doodle experts.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I understand that it is very unconventional...usually people pick their own puppies...generally based on "cute"...but you know, now that I am a breeder I understand that looks are not the best criteria...and it is funny, but the minute you meet and spend time with your puppy, you will fall madly in love!
Breeders are with the puppies day in and day out, and they know their temperaments better than anyone else. If the breeder says the pup's temperament is well suited to your family, generally you can count on that!
I bought all of my dogs via the internet and have not been disappointed at all...we have the best dogs in the world!
Since you trust your breeder, try not to worry. You will be pleasantly surprised.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts