Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remy is 9 weeks old and he has the tiniest toenails.
When do you start trimming and how do you do it?
I've seen the two styles of clippers and the filing/grinding method. But his little nails are so small.

Advice please?

G

·
I'm a baby and I am afraid I'll cut Maya's toenalis and make her bleed. So I take her to Petsmart and pay the $12 to have them do it. She goes about every few months.

I wouldn't think you would have to cut Remy's anytime soon. Plus check with your vet. They might do it for you for free at your visits.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I'm a baby and I am afraid I'll cut Maya's toenalis and make her bleed. So I take her to Petsmart and pay the $12 to have them do it. She goes about every few months.
ditto x 2 doodles

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver goes to Bosleys for the grinding treatment........
He told me long time ago.........No thanks Mom!!! so he goes out
to get them done.
bahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ask your vet and he/she will show you how.............
I do nine cats on a regular basis but like I said Denver said "No thanks"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Same here! I can trim my cat's claws, so I thought I could do Libby's too - I was wrong and she ended up bleeding! I felt awful! So far i've been playing a lot of fetch with her on the cement driveway so she just kind of runs them down! I'll definitely take her in from now on if they get too long.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never liked to do the trimming. I've always used the guillotine style and have never been comfortable with it.

I'll check with the vet too. Our next appointment is May 6th.
Also we have a smaller chain called Especially for Pets and they do it for free.

I just couldn't imagine having to trim them at this point. They are so small. But then I asked myself, "When?".

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Our vet tech has been trimming Sienna's toenails since she was 10 weeks old - our vet visits have been every 2-3 weeks so it works out perfectly and I get to learn by watching. By the time Remy is done with all his vaccinations and vet visits his toenails should be large enough that you can do it yourself I imagine.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I did Denver's nails all the time when he was a baby
They were very soft then and easily done.
As he got older and the nails got harder he just would not
stand for it. He was never cut and never showed any aversion to me doing it until one day he just went a little nutso and would not let me
so now I take him out to be done. No stress for either of us and he
does not mind the grinding at all..well worth the 13 bucks every 3 or 4 months.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i started trimming ursus' nails from the time we got him at 8 weeks. not because the nails really needed to be trimmed, but because i wanted to get him used to it starting from a very young age. for the first month or so, i just used human toenail clippers to cut a couple millimeters off once a week; now that he's bigger i use the "grown up" clippers and do both his and kumo's nails every two weeks. my philosophy is, the more often i do it, the less likely i am to get the quick. so far so good!

-em

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ditto what Em said - We cut Dante's nails once a week starting at the breeders house at 6 weeks (she wanted to make sure we were comfortable doing it) Because we have wood floors I wanted to keep them short so we didn't get a lot of scratches in the floor and it isn't feesable for me to pay someone else to do it twice a month. When you do it frequently it's easy to just take the very tip off and not get the quick. Since we started so early and were consistent, Dante will just lay down and roll on his side and let me trim away. (Of course good treats always follow!)

Heather

·
Registered
189 Posts
So far I've done it myself. I have the plier type cutters and luckily haven't made her bleed. I've only cut her nails 3 times (she's 6.5 months) - and always after she's had a bath so they're softer. I take a long time about it because I'm scared of cutting too much. I only cut a very small amount off (i.e. 2mm) so the nails are still fairly long. She's got black nails with lots of hair in the way - I can see why most of you have it done professionally. I think that's much easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts