Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this Spring is a see saw of temps...up to 70-80's for almost a week and then we had 2 hard frosts this past week so 30 degree temps again :shock:
YET being the optimist...I took some pics of the BLOOMS/PLANTS that start to PERK UP my yard

I LOVE when i start to see COLOR :D

warning: pic overload hahaa but have names for plants :D

REBLOOMING IRIS just getting started with bluebells in background

Japanese Maple I grew from a baby almost dead plant about 10yrs agoin what I call my quiet corner :wink:

Ferns I brought from my prev house 15yrs ago and Alliums
the Ferns are from ONE fern being planted in 1950's at old house
alliums i planted 12 yrs ago and still bloom

these are Cinnamon Ferns I LOVE looking down into them at times :D reminds me of a vase shape

Old Fashioned Poppies
just starting to open and from a friend's grandmother

Ruby Red Horsechestnut Tree took me Years to find one bigger than a houseplant...Blooms when fully open attract Hummingbirds in early morning and evening on daily basis

Rhododendrons which were almost dead and 2ft high in 1993
NOW are 8 ft high and 10ft wide

Doublefile Viburnum from 1956 with one of the Rhododendrons peeking through it

Lastly a small section of Houseplants barracaded off from Miss Princess Peanut
she thinks she's a horticulturist at times :wink:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
To heck with South Carolina...can't you just rent me a room on your estate :p :p

You pictures are just gorgeous :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why funny you should ask ANNIE to-date I do have a room on the
WEST wing available (my previous master bedroom)
which is 14 x 19ft w/master bath, panoramic views of whole yard, privacy, tons of sunshine and room enough for a doodle to jump over, on and around the room including the bed :wink:

last weekend in JUNE is taken , otherwise I am still taking reservations
come on......DARE ya to visit me hahahhahaahha heh heh heh
OR just PM Leslie and Sdrudge ...they visited and survived :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
What's your secret to the "Rhodies"? I'm slowly killing mine. It's planted on the east side of our home, the part that's shaded from the afternoon sun. There is a small tree in the front, but it doesn't afford much shade yet. Is it getting too much sun? I really don't have a spot that doesn't get sun around the house. We have clay for dirt, so that could be the problem. We bought it at 3 feet tall, it hasn't grown an inch and it looks terrible!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Becky...annmarie's homemade Rhodie receipe just for you

1. Give yearly acidfood both on leaves and in soil
small blue box made by same people as Miracle gro

2. add some peat moss under the rhodie to unlock the clay soil a bit as if its hard clay then the water and nutrients are locked up
you can also add a bit of Humus or composted cow manure as well

3. MULCH!! bigtime, as it cools soil, conserves moisture, stops spread of dirt splashing up thus spreading molds, spores , disease

4. can you take a pic and PM it to me? or email me?
that way i can tell you if can see what is wrong

5. I always wait till the blooms are completely dead and remove them to put more energy back into roots

6. BEFORE the winter spray them with WILTPRUF or
cover with burlap for 1st year or two after that they're on their own
i do baby certain plants for the 1st 2 years till they toughen up such as:
jap maples, rhodies

7. LASTLY does that side of the house get tons of wind in winter
and/or what is color of your siding on house ? some colors reflect more light than others and during winter it can be harsher

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I love your yard you know that. But the flowers are looking great. I wish I was as good with plants as you. But I did get my night blooming sirus in a pot and I can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
VERY pretty yard! I wish mine was as finished looking!
I've started, but having only been here 3 yrs next month, nothing's big enough to have any real impact yet and we started with a bare canvas.

You're an inspiration!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TINK i'll let you in on a little secret........Only take pics you can
A) crop
B) blow up
C) or take close up of
D) dont take full views as i didn't .......thus i am not showing the tons of weeds growing hhhaaaaaaa or the grasses I have yet to cut down, and more :wink:

shhhhhh don't tell anyone :wink:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Gorgeous annmarie!!
Your property looks like such a tranquil, peaceful and LOVELY place!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everyone...as and Sam along with Leslie found out,
the only way my place is enjoyable and peaceful is to share it with others!
thus, which I love having company stay a bit especially with doodles :D

and TINK you have to live at a place for a year or two to get a FEEL for it
so for now just plant some annuals and few perennials till you know what you really like and want to do with your place.

Lastly, we mow 5 acres down as it creates openess with no restraints, thus yes peaceful but more fun when others are here to enjoy it with us.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
annieG said:
To heck with South Carolina...can't you just rent me a room on your estate :p :p

You pictures are just gorgeous :wink:
Me too! It's too hot here already! I tried to grow rhododendrons here once, but the heat just burned the poor things up!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Beautiful..Annmarie....everything is so lush! The allium and ferns are my favorite!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Great photos Annemarie. Wow your expertise in the horticulture area is phenomenal!!! Nice work. Thanks for showing it to us. Last year, Marley as a puppy took, up way too much of my free time, and it showed in the condition of my yard this year. I have been working on it, each weekend, but got a ways to go. Hopefully I can finish by the beging of July for our annual 4th of July bash. I find as I get older, I do not do quite as much and not as fast as I used to.

Keep up the good work!! I will remember the "close up" shots when I am ready to reap the rewards of my work. 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts