Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy has been up for adoption in our area. This is what I found out thanks to a friend of mine. So sad, hopefully he has a forever home with his foster family.

Hello K and S,
Thank you for your interest in Obie. I apologise for the delay in response. Obie is now in a permanent foster home and hopefully will be formally adopted by this family. I say hopefully, as Obie has been diagnosed with P.R.A.- an inherited, incurable eye disease. He will be blind within a year. This is what happens when back yard breeders don't run genetic tests before they breed. One hundred labradoodles were confiscated from this breeder and I can only imagine how many pups are affected like Obie. So senseless!!!
My thanks to both of you for your interest in his well-being. Sincerely, D K

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Lisa ty for posting that and YES this is ONE of the Many reasons BREEDERS should test their dogs.
a simple DNA test can avoid much heartache and problems down the line

ps how is Lani doing??????????

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
How fortunate for these dogs to be rescued......but so sad for the new owners & the dogs for what might lay ahead of them :(
Thank goodness this breeder has been stopped before introducing anymore bad genes into the breed.
I hope more breeders, whatever kind they are, read this and realize their impact on the labradoodle breed!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Mind boggling how many of those possibly affected pups are out there. GOOD argument for DNA testing for sure. As inexpensive as it is, there's really no excuse not to have it done. If you can't afford $50 per breeder you can't afford to be breeding either.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Lisa, thanks for putting a heart to this argument for testing.
It is so important that breeders care enough to test...if we can spare one of our babies this type of sorrow, we must do so...or we are not very good breeders...in fact, I think that it also means that we are not very good people either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts