Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating a change of careers and have come across an idea that just might work. I love dogs and am thinking about getting certified as a Dog Massage Therapist. I know it won't be a quick starting business and I know I have to do my homework beforehand. I've already started studying canine anatomy to get me started.

I'm just wondering if any of you have had experience with a dog massage therapist and what do you think about them?

I know this isn't a labradoodle issue but since I am planning on getting a labradoodle some day and have found this great site, I thought you'd be good people to ask :D

thanks,
sadie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Sadie, welcome!
It sounds to me like you will be in a business that you love, and that is the most important factor!
I know that here, in California, we do have massage therapists for dogs and they are very successful.
I suggest that you find a way to do a market survey and see how well this will be accepted in your area...I believe that many dog owners love to pamper their dogs, but I think that your therapy goes beyond that to physical well being...if you can get a market of like-minded people, I'd say go for it!
You might want to look into volunteer work at shelters and vet clinics to get references...imagine if you can advertise that you helped some of these dogs when they were in tough circumstances...people would really take your services seriously!
We acutally have doggie day care "spas" here and they do a good business...they offer therapy.
I think you are on the cutting edge! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Sadie and welcome :) Jac has a good idea about doing a market survey. There was just an article in our Wichita newspaper a few weeks back saying how the "Baby Boomers" are spending tons of money on their pooches :) So, follow your heart :!: :!: Money is no object when it comes to our canine friends :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
One of the vets in town here performs chiropractic adjustments on pets. I've never met a dog massage therapist, but I have met horse massage therapists and apparently it is quite a niche market! With more dogs working and enjoying agility and other sports, they deserve care and pampering as much as any ahtlete! Good Luck to you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

Thank you all so much, your messages are very inspirational to me! I appreciate your input!

Sadie :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts