Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We take Dexter Tuesday morning to get neutered. As of Sunday night, Kevin is getting distraught. He gets tears in his eyes talking about dropping him off and leaving. He is now asking if he can stay with him at the vets. He keeps asking over and over, "how long did you say they'll keep him?" "Why can't I stay with him, he's my dog?" I told him, you can probably hang out in the waiting room all day annoying the office staff. But he will first be in a sterile operating room and you won't be allowed. Then he'll be in a recovery kennel and you won't be allowed. They'll be monitoring him to make sure he gets awake, potties, and has a bit of water before they'll let us take him. He is not liking this whole scenario. Then I made the vast mistake of mentioning that only a tiny miniscule percentage of dogs are sensitive to anesthesia. Oh lord did I open a can of worms!!

I'm going to try to get him to sit down and read the forum and all the neutering success stories, but it ain't gonna fly. Anybody got any horse tranquilizers?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
uh give him benedryl? :wink:

I think letting him read some posts would be great...i know Max breezed through being neutered. Woke up energetic and happy. And was so tired though when he got home and napped alot which was good for him.

Also the vets know what they're doing having years of experience and love dogs as much as we do. So your Dexter will be in good hands. And the vet assistants love hugging, kissing, holding doodles till they're ready to go home later on.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Oohhhhhh Dexter......you go tommorrow and I go Friday!!!! AHHHHHHHH!
I'm wishing you good luck, and you can do the same....! ha-ha.....Mom tells me that everything will be ok....even Jonah Denver and Max said everything will be ok...so I think we should listen...huh? :?
Your Doodle pla,
Rrrr-aleigh!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Let me tell you...my husband and I were VERY worried when we dropped our Dexter off. We called to check how the surgery went when we knew it would be over. I couldn't even believe it, but when we went to get him, Dexter came running out to us just the way he went running in. He seriously did not seem any different and barely even more tired than usual. The only tough part was trying to keep him calm for a few days (he didn't seem to realize anything was different). Tell your husband to try to not worry.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto
It is us humans who go through so much more with worry for our babies.
The Doodles seem to go through quite easy and are back to normal in no time. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, boy, I can relate! When I took Lexie to the vet (once when we thought she may have eaten insulation...another story) the vet told me that I could pick her up the next morning! NO! I was not prepared! I had not broguht her a toy or a blankie! NO!!! I numbly went out the door, started crying in the car and cried for 3 hours when I got home...then I gathered up a blanket and toy and took it down, eyes puffy and red...they smiled, told me she was okay, said she was kissing them all and that she was beautfiul...I cried.
Went home. Dave cried. Bayley saw us all upset and she got depressed and sad...
It was the longest night of my life.
I know that Dexter will be just great...but Kevin? Well, you might want to keep an eye on him!
(Another time we had the dogs in week long training, my husband was planning a "break-out"!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts