Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having to have our beagle of 8yrs put down this past August, I didn't think I wanted another dog. Couldn't go through the heartache of losing them again. :cry: But as time went by, I started looking again. :)

While watching a show on the National Geographic channel, I came across these Labradoodles. How adorable. We also had a chocolate lab years ago and loved her. I've been doing research on these and if we do indeed get another dog, I think this will be it. I'm in Ohio, so found some beautiful pups on the Yesteryear Acres site. Anyone own a doodle from this breeder?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Congratulations, Robin! I think you will be so happy with your selection. We adore our Labradoodles!
I have not personally dealt with the breeder you mentioned, but I would suggest that you clarify with them what "serious" disorder is...that is a term open to various definitions, depending on which side of the fence you are on. This breeder is a member of ILA and I highly respect that organization. (You can learn a lot about what is required or at least suggested, as far as testing goes, by looking at the ILA page: www.ilainc.com)
Also, I don't see on their web page where they have tested their parent dogs. I would suggest that you ask them if they do, what results they have received and if they will provide proof of the testing results. Most breeders are happy to oblige this request.
The health warranty covers 2 major factors, but you might want to do some research to see what testing is recommended for Labradoodles before they are bred...and what results are considered good.
Also find out how this breeder will support you after the purchase. (It is important to know that your breeder will be there for you if you have questions or concerns.)
Otherwise, I agree that these dogs are absolutely gorgeous and it is really fun to see them getting the exposure in the media!
Be sure to let us know when you get your puppy and don't forget to post pictures!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome Robin :) Heed Jac's advise, she is very wise. Once you have found a good breeder and get your puppy, you will never regret it. These dogs are amazing. I'm excited for you :D :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info. I've been scouring doodle sites all weekend. I can't believe how cute they are and that I had no idea they exhisted until that show. Now it's just deciding what color and if we want a male or female. :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning, Robin! What a fun decision you are about to make!

Just to help out a bit...male dogs are really great pets, especially if they are neutered early on. If you will notice on several posts, all of us rave about the males we have kept for our breeding programs and others have said that they prefer males to females...just thought I'd take the "gender issue" off your shoulders so you can enjoy finding the perfect color, temperament and breeder!

Please do keep us posted! Have fun!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'd say look at breeder, then temperment, then color, then gender won't matter by the time you get through all that!
:lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Jac,

just wondering why you say that males are that much "better"? In which way?

I have two female doodles (and no experience with males), so I'm just wondering what kind of differences you've noticed?

thanks,

Michael.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
A lot of people have the misconception that female dogs make a better pet and are smarter but if a male is neutered at a young age (by 6 mos), he makes the most loving dog and doesn't pick up the bad habits of an intact male. Of course, with anything else, people have their preferences and both sexes are wonderful :) But with my experience, I have found the males to be easier to house train and more dependent on you, therefore more apt to be right at your side. Females tend to be more independent and more apt to lay at the back door and come check to see where you are from time to time and then go back and lay at the back door. Of course, this is dogs in general. Believe it or not, I have two intact males that live in the house with us and we have no troubles whatsoever but this is rare. Our dogs do not mark their territory in the house either. If I weren't a breeder, I would never have an intact male simply because it is healthier to have them neutered.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds JUST like my parent's three wire haired dachshounds- they have two girls and one boy. The girls are very loving, but more independent where the boy (Charles) is so dependent and is often referred to as "shadow" because you can't turn the corner without him at your feet!

·
Registered
39 Posts
we just got our doodle from yesteryear acres this weekend! they were *wonderful* to work with. renee emailed me the entire time we were waiting for our puppy and always answered my questions. when we were leaving after picking up maggie, renee told us to email or call her with any questions whether it was 6 seconds after we left or 6 years.

i highly recommend yesteryear acres!

Kristin
http://goldscher.smugmug.com

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Michael, I am sorry, I didn't know you had asked me a question until now. Sometimes I don't get notices of new postings.

I think that Diane answered the question very well though.

I have found that most people prefer females and have the general idea that they are more comfortable at home, more loving.

In my experience, my male (unneutered) is by far the cuddliest and most laid-back dog I have ever seen!

So, whenever I get a chance to give input, I like to tell people that it isn't generally the gender that makes a dog loveable...just one of many personality traits. So, I am not favoring male over female nor visa versa...just trying to let folks see that the males are great pets too.
:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts