Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dexter has always been mouthy, but it had toned down for a while. Over the last few weeks it's been starting up again :evil: :evil: :evil: He's not quite 9 months old.

He's like Jekyll and Hyde! Sometimes he's like this:

And other times he's like this:

(He's NEVER like this) :

But in all seriousness, he does get to a point where he's just repeatedly jumping and bouncing and grabbing at any body part he can get to - my arm, my rear, my ankle...I ought to post a photo of all the bruises I have on my arms and legs! :cry:

I've tried everything I know...I stand still and ignore him, and he thinks it's a free-for-all, he doesn't stop. I've tried yelping, but he thinks it's a game and keeps on keeping on. I've tried putting one of his chew toys in his mouth, but he drops the toy and resumes the madness. If I crate him for a time out, he just barks and barks. Any corrective measures I take seem to be a game to him.

Also, I've found he does this even after long walks or a romp in the field.

...and then he calms down, and he's all sweet again.

IDEAS??????

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Lynn,

I posted an almost identical question when Ebbe hit that age. It was as if we had just gotten her out of the biting your pant leg, under your feet, steal and 500 puppy stage when it all began again!

She's a year now and has seemed to pick up even more annoying habits.
I was assured by more experienced doodle owners that this was another stage and that some day I would miss it! :roll: But it could last another six months! :shock:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
The adolescent time is definitely tough - Dexter is still just coming out of it (at 15 mos). He did not revert back to the jumping/biting, but he just totally stopped listening for much of the 9-12 month time. We just really tried to be more strict w/our training (lots of time outs...he still gets at least 3 per week now for bad behavior). We would make him sit or do something we asked of him before most things (i.e. sit before going outside, sit before getting dinner)...for a few days I made him eat his dinner out of my hands (at my pace) to remind him who was in charge.

I wish I could tell you it has totally passed, but Dex stole my earmuffs I got down from the attic 2x yesterday and did doodle 500s around the house with them...

G

·
How do you give them a time out? Where do you put them. I read that you can't put them in thier crate cause they then associate it with being a bad place. Maya already hates her crate enough.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ebbe is usually at her worst in the evening between about 8 and 10pm.
When she does something (steals a pillow off the sofa or the like)
she is placed in the bathroom -which has been Ebbe proofed- for several minutes in the dark!
She does not like it, but must stay there for a couple of minutes at least!
We learned this trick at her first puppy class and have found it is the most effective way to say NO!
Even though sometime we do have to repeat it several times :roll:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie gets time out in his crate. So far it isn't a problem. We consider it his quiet time for him to settle himself down. It usually only about 15 minutes. We're bother calmer and happier when he comes back out.

This weekend I overheard my DH telling Charlie, "You sit on the step and think about what you've done!" :lol: These are words I heard repeatedly when our kids were young. I don't think they had the same effect on Charlie but he looked pretty sheepish.

Deb

G

·
Yes I have had the conversation with Maya that goes something like: "if you would just be a good girl mommie won't get mad and you won't get in trouble. Now please just be a good girl for mama." She seems like she is listening intently but then goes and gets in trouble and we have the conversation again.

I will try the bathroom thing as I have one downstairs I could put her in.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Tyke gets time out in a crate we keep in the sunroom - not her sleeping crate (although she is sleeping in the bed now most of the time anyway).
Her trainer suggested we "ignore" the behavior, but it is kind of hard to do when a doodle has a piece of your backside in her mouth!!! :roll:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I know that I've seen several techniques on "It's Me or the Dog". She's really good, and not quite as "dog minded" as Caesar Milian. It's on later at night on the Animal Planet. I just can't remember what technique she used. Have you tried a loud noise to break his concentration on jumping on you? and when you cross your arms and turn away, do you let him win, by eventually giving up when he continues to jump? I'm trying to make sure Napa doesn't start that habit, so it won't be too hard to break later when we want to start Therapy Training.

Good luck!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter goes down the basement (by himself) when he has a time out. We clearly differentiate when he's going to the basement because we're going to work and when it's because he was bad. When we go to work we give him hugs and a treat (and several toys) and talk nicely to him "bye Dexter, have a good day"...when he's bad he goes himself (no toys or treats and certainly no hugs) and I tell him "you were bad"...

I'm laughing as I'm writing this...haha...I don't know what he understands, but I hope he gets the idea.

On the few times Kirby has been bad, we put him in his crate for a few minutes...but I don't have the heart to tell him he was bad because it happens so infrequently :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I do a time out, I lead him by the collar and in a nice but firm voice say "Too bad!" (this was as per the obedience trainer). Not mean or angry, just matter-of-fact. I know he gets the idea. We also do that when he's playing fetch and doesn't drop the ball....turn our backs on him, "toooooo bad!"...

I have tried the loud noise with him, it works intermittently at best....like, I'll slam a wooden spoon on the counter as I say OW! He usually stops for a barely perceptible amount of time, and usually lunges again.... :evil:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Lynn...considering my somewhat similar issues with Sandy (mouthiness/chewing... whatever), its gotta be the age. Which is a good thing because (say it with me) ITS JUST A PHASE - and as long as you continue to correct the behavior, he will eventually catch on again and go back to being your sweet Dex. Think of it as your initiation in parenting a teenager!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your post made me laugh out loud with the pictures. Our Rudy was very mouthy from about 2 months to 8 months. He just had to have his mouth on some part of my body. My arms looked like I was drug user! I went through the 'no bite' command over and over but it didn't deter him. He just thought it meant 'bite again'. (And he wasn't trying to hurt, just trying to make some kind of point). I finally figured out that walking away and stopping all contact seemed to help. Then, out of the blue, he just quit. He will still mouth me very occasionally and it usually means he really, really, really wants my attention. So, take heart, this too shall pass! Good luck!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OH Lynn...Peanut just came out of that stage 2 weeks ago....believe me the 8 mo and 10mo stages do PASS.

question is can you keep up a sense of humor during those 2 months hahhahaaaa I earned my stripes and sure my doodles will make me earn a few more.

REMEMBER: kids take 19yrs to mature.....dogs only 2 to 3 :wink:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Ok, so I am only glad about this thread topic,
because then I am not alone in my complaining
about Coco's reversion to old habits.!!
Coco has gone back to jumping up again,
lunging and mouthing me anywhere she can....
it is definitely for attention and yet, she is mean sometimes,
not playful. I walk her twice a day and play frisbee
in the yard with her.
I scold her. I tell her "no jump!", "no bite!", I yell "ouch!!"
I turn and ignore her....Ha! That doesn't even deter her for a minute....
I use a deep voice and firmly loudly tell her NO.
So far, nothing is really working.

Also, she has taken to chewing things up while we are gone....she's OK for awhile...since we were gone 4 hours on last Sunday....
we had a neighbor come by to let her out....
She was just loose in the house with the back closed off.....
but not in her crate. She was fine for 3 1/2 hours,
but then she chewed up three big pine cones from
off the fireplace....a grapevine twisted ball thing,
a pencil...
and Steve's Dad's WWII Korea, Viet Nam ballcap
with the POW pin on it!!!.....

She has tons of chew things and toys.....but I think this behavior is just letting us know enough is enough, time to come home!
I think we will have to crate her in the future for longer stays alone.

She will be 1 year old soon......and we get a new pup end of December.
Will she teach all this bad stuff to the other one?
Somehow I think so.
:cry:
Annmarie, I do find humor in all this.....though there are times, like
lately, it gets a little aggravating....and she hears about it from me!
She knew she was in trouble today and sulked....maybe it got through to her!! Little pill that she is!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
When Nicky was smaller and had sharp baby teeth my arms and hands were covered with bruises and broken skin. It was embarrassing! A woman battered by a puppy! I went through lots of bandaids.

Now he sometimes will hold my arm with his mouth, but he doesn't clamp down. Good thing! He could do major damage if he wanted to!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jane...peanut and coco are the same age only 5 days apart with similar personalities.
I do find giving her the Merrick "THE TANK" bone does help curb her chewing things like shoes, slippers etc

also we take her out more often for longer runs/walks

lastly BEAU seems to have given Peanut a purpose of being a big sister, thus its like she started maturing overnight. FOR THE 1st time ever she now can sleep with us, be trusted for short periods ..and i would NEVER let her alone in the house longer than 15min hahahhahahaa

it'll get better and know what? when others post their funny stories cuase it's THEIR DOODLE that did it, well laughter can ease the stress.
perhaps you want to do a few searches ...Dexter ate $100, Jonah ate half the couch, Raleigh did moderate damage to a cushion, Peanut ate my new slippers only sold once a year hahahaa

and yOu'll love my NEXT article NEXT week!!! :D

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I am so glad to hear someone else has survived this! Tyke is 4 months old, and she does ALL of the things I've seen on this thread! I'm looking forward to just a few months of her coming out of it, but I think the early stage and the "regression" stage are just going to blend together! She has been an absolute MONSTER :twisted: the last couple of days. We had her spayed Tuesday, and thank goodness she has not seemed to have any pain or other problems, but keeping her quiet with her energy level is next to IMPOSSIBLE - all her bad behaviors have just magnified themselves! She pooped on the floor TWICE (she never does that- always comes and gets me when she has to go!) She almost ate my cell phone this morning, and last night, my poor mother tried to stop her, but she was just WILD - doodle 500's through the house, tearing up everything she can get her paws and her mouth on, and yes - biting at pants legs! And WHY, with all the toys she has, does she insist on stealing MY shoes?????? I'm wondering if it's not the Rimadyl the vet gave us. (She is supposed to take on 25mg tablet a day until Saturday) Can that make a doodle even MORE hyper? She has turned back into 'PSYCHO TYKO' !![/img]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts