Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Is it just our Maya or do others find that their doodles get the runs easily? Maya just have to have one too many bits of raw veggie or treat (and believe me she gets next to none of either) and she gets the runs big time! Or if she licks or chews something nasty on the road before I see her doing it (again a glimpse is all she gets really) she gets the runs! It's crazy and makes us nervous taking her places or long distances.

Any suggestions? Maya eats Eukanuba lamb and rice cut with Iam's lamb and rice to keep costs down a bit. Her treats (when she gets them) are liver primarily or raw veggie such as green pepper - her fav- brocolli, the off tiny bit of whole wheat bread crust. Oh and she LOVES peanut butter, but that never seems to bother her if I don't give her all natural PB.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dante has what my mom likes to call a sensitive puppy tummy or poodle tummy - it doesn't take much to get his system off. If he picks up a stick in the yard or eats a leaf it seems to be all it takes. It is getting better as he gets older. My breeder sent us home with a tube of BENE-BAC pet gel, (a source of live naturally occurring micro organisms), it does a great job of clearing him up when his system gets off. I've tried the yogurt route as well and save the bene-bac for when he is really bad - like when we go camping and he is in stick and tree bark heaven. It's ~$6 a tube, you only use a small bit at a time, and it is totally safe for puppies.

Other than Canidae and training treats - Zukes, Canidae snap biscuits, and a bits of cheese. I don't give Dante any other foods right now.

Heather

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting...so 'Poodle' tummy is common among doodles then?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yummmmm. Thanks! Maya gets yogurt daily...she licks my bowl when I'm finished. Seriously though, how much yogurt is OK to give her? And are there any restrictions as to type, like flavoured and fruit? I have tried pumpkin and it seems to work. We scooped raw pumkin into ice cube trays and froze the little cubes, then just popped them into zip top bags. It seems to work, but I don't know why. Have you heard of this?

·
Registered
728 Posts
In addition to good advice, please don't forget to check that the yogurt has live/active cultures! That is what puts the bacteria back into the digestive system.

The frozen pumpkin cubes is a great idea! Does it have to be fresh pumpkin or is canned okay?

Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes...live is best for sure, good point!
The pumpkin can be canned, just not pie pumpkin that has added sugar and spices. Just buy plain canned pumpkin.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max has "poodle tummy" we once went thru 7 weeks of 24/7 non stop diarrhea. I cooked for him for 4mos :shock: till he could digest the RIGHT dog food.

In fact the same day i posted the Phffft OVER Here blog, he got some steak with his Canidae , and he did the (stinky) PHffft alll night long!

Canned pumpkin helps calm down the intestines. Sweet potato in SMALL amounts(1/4in slice) is a digestive aid too. Pineapple also aids with the pancreas. If you see the muscous lining the vet can give metronidizole (spelling is off) to help. Otherwise a bit of canned pumpkin and sometimes pepto bismal does the trick. Rice is a good source of fiber.

If the runs are bad fasting your doodle for 1/2 a day or till they firm up helps too.

Max does NOT get treats!! he may get a rare treat and i have to watch the amount. Or i am running outside with a doodle that has the runs.
He's much better now at 14mos than he was even at 9mos old.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow...that's Maya. She gets the runs WAAAAY too often in my mind. I mean really, she's a d-o-g (don't tell her though) for heaven's sake. They eat nasty stuff and drink out of puddles right? Not Maya...she wouldn't survive in the wild for 5 minutes.
Today, I bought Performatrim Natural. I thought I'd try a food with less corn to reduce ear junk.
I hear you about the treats. If I get carried away with them even a little, I hear pppffft...hahahaha...oh dear...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Our Bailey can get the runs pretty easy.
When it happens we give her some canned pumpkin.

Also, we sometimes give her Pepto Bismol.Forget the liquid form as that may be hard to get your dog to take.

You can get Pepto Bismol in chewable tablets.
We just give those to her that same way you'd give her a pill.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
yes pepto works well! Kirby ate something he wasn't supposed to right before we brought him home and it really helped him clear up. Plus we fed him rice for a few days.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we keep both Pepto Bismal liquid and PePcid tablets in our cupboard. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts