Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here we go again. They have found that the tainted pet foods contain rat poisioning. It is on the FDA web site.
This, I think, proves my assertion all along that this is not limited to "wet" foods, but can (and I suggest that it does) reach into dry foods as well.
I believe that all of these puppies and dogs over the last 3 months that have gotten very sick with the same symptoms and vets never could figure out what was wrong...well, I think that now we know.
If you are feeding any of the brands on the recall list, even if it is dry, I would strongly suggest that you ASSUME that you have a potential problem. Believe me, it hits hard and fast but if you catch it early, it is treatable.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wow - thanks for the info. Does anybody know if Menu Foods is also the maker of any dog treats or bones? We have puppy class tonight and I think just to play it safe I will request that nobody else give Dante treats.

Heather

G

·
Here is a website that seems to have the most up to date information, even more than the Menu Foods website:

http://www.howl911.com/petfoodrecall.htm#foods

Here are companies that use Menu Foods to make their wet food. These companies were not affected by the recall, but their wet product is made by Menu Foods:
WELLNESS, NATURE'S VARIETY, CASTOR & POLLUX ALSO MADE BY MENU FOODS

I have read that Menu Foods only produces wet food, but I am not 100% sure of that.

G

·
Dry Food Concerns:
As Jac has been saying all along:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/l ... 57,00.html

More pet owners report deaths possibly related to food recall
Other animals died after eating items not on list

....The FDA also is looking into a small number of reports that pets have died after consuming food that was not included among the recalled products, said Devin Koontz, the administration's spokesman.

"We're trying to figure it out," Koontz said.

He emphasized that the number of reports concerning dry food consumed by pets that became sick was not alarming...

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
What part of "sick" and "dieing" does he not see as "not alarming?"
EXACTLY
I am outraged that even one death should not be considered alarming!!!
And I am scared as I have 10 animals none of which are on any of the
so called RECALLED food but how do I know that down the road they will not be????
What should we do, I already make homemade food for some because of past problems, (crystals for one cat) Denver gets homemade and Canidae.
I am very worried now!!!!

Sue

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is the Press Release released by the NYS Agency that identified the toxin in the pet food. According to this release, the substance is not permitted for use in the US.

Department of Agriculture & Markets News
Friday, March 23, 2007
518-457-3136
[email protected]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK LABORATORIES IDENTIFY TOXIN IN RECALLED PET FOOD
Aminopterin Confirmed in Recalled Pet Food and Implicated Tissue Samples

New York State Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker and Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine Dean Donald F. Smith announced today that scientists at the New York State Food Laboratory identified Aminopterin as a toxin present in cat food samples from Menu Foods, the manufacturer of the many brands of dog and cat food that are currently the subject of a nationwide recall.

The Food Laboratory received the pet food samples from a toxicologist at the New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University, where testing has been underway to try to identify the cause of kidney failure in dogs and cats that consumed the recalled brands of pet food. At Cornell's request, the Food Laboratory tested the samples for poisons and toxins, and identified Aminopterin in the pet food samples at a level of at least 40 parts per million.

"We are pleased that the expertise of our New York State Food Laboratory was able to contribute to identifying the agent that caused numerous illnesses and deaths in dogs and cats across the nation," the Commissioner said. "New Yorkers can be assured that we have two of the nation's leading laboratory programs in food safety and animal health working on this problem."

The Dean of the Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine Donald F. Smith concurred by saying, "The close partnership between the Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University and the Department of Agriculture and Markets was key to this finding."

Aminopterin, a derivative of folic acid, can cause cancer and birth defects in humans and can cause kidney damage in dogs and cats. Aminopterin is not permitted for use in the United States.

On March 16, 2007, Menu Foods initiated a recall of numerous varieties of dog and cat food that were manufactured at two of its plants in the United States between December 3, 2006 and March 6, 2007. The products are both manufactured and sold under private-label and are contract-manufactured for several national brands. Information on the specific brands of pet food subject to the recall can be found at www.menufoods.com/recall.

Since the recall, Department food inspectors have contacted all of the organizations that represent retail food and pet food stores to ensure that the stores were aware of the recall and that the recalled products had been removed from store shelves in New York State.

New York State is home to two laboratories that are part of federal emergency lab networks, created through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security after 9-11 to keep the nation's animals and food supply safe. The New York State Food Laboratory is part of the Federal Food Emergency Response Network (FERN) and as such, is capable of running a number of unique poison/toxin tests on food, including the test that identified Aminopterin. The New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University is a member of the National Animal Health Laboratory Network and thus, is uniquely qualified to investigate the causes of animal health emergencies, like the sudden deaths of dogs and cats from the recently recalled pet food.

###

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I continue to be amazed and appalled...and so very angry!
We won't know the whole story for a long time, if ever.
But I do know that Menu foods is only confirming....get this...deaths that happen in a controlled environment. Meaning? That they feed the food to healthy cats and dogs (at some lab where they can't get anything else) and if they die, they are counted! They are testing this on live animals!
So, since the only acknowledge the deaths under "controlled" conditions, all of those other deaths, and the hundreds of thousands of very sick animals...don't count.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, it seems to me that all of the animal associations...ALL of them...should forget their differences, band together and put pressure on the FDA and any other agency that works to control healh issues for pets.
Imagine the impact that the AKC, CKC, ILA, and all similar associations could have.
I would love to donate some of the food that I believe made my puppy sick...let them check it out...but why is no one interested in doing this? It seems to me that the only testing going on is through Menu Foods!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi Everyone
I wanted to say that due to this recall that I have thrown out
two bags of Iams Dry Kibble that I was feeding to one cat.
It is not on the recall list but like Jac says down the road if it ends up on the list I do not want to take a chance.

G

·
Jac,
Iowa State University is offering to test food for anyone affected. They are also offering to test pets that died due to the food.
http://cvmweb2.cvm.iastate.edu/departme ... px?id=2784
IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OFFERING TO TEST DECEASED PETS & FOOD SAMPLES FOR TOXINS 03/22/07
If you suspect that an animal has been poisoned, veterinary toxicologists at Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine can confirm the presence of toxins in the food or samples from the pet. The Iowa State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory has the capability to analyze pet food for the suspected toxic agents described above and examine tissues from animals that have died. Samples should be submitted to the Diagnostic Lab through a veterinarian. Results and charges will be sent to the submitting veterinarian.

Submission Protocol

Samples must be submitted by a veterinarian.

Use our Diagnostic Exam form.

Submit at least 2 cups of suspect feed.
Submit the entire cat or selected tissues from a dog. It is preferable to allow us to do the postmortems.
Minimal submission: fresh and fixed kidney.

Full tissue list:
1. brain
2. heart
3. lung
4. liver
5. kidney
6. small intestine
7. ileum
8. colon

So sad!

G

·
As of now, NO, Nancy, the dry food is not being recalled. There have been some reports of illness from people feeding their dog dry food, but it could be coincidental?

G

·
From what I have been reading, I would have to say this could be a case of deliberate sabotage and tampering.
This is what I have read:
The poison would never be sprayed on wheat deliberately.
The poison is typically in solid blocks and would have to be shaved down to get into the food.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
reason i ask

1 of my clients not feeding can or pouched are having a issue
this really scares me silly
looking into other foods now
natural balance was not effected
going to do some research any suggestions appreciated prefer usa based food companies that dont import ingrediants, yea rite i know good luck :lol:

G

·
Annmarie researched Canidae and this is from their website:

Industry Can Recall

In light of the unfortunate current can recall by other respectable pet food manufacturers, our phone lines and emails are tied up with concerned customers. We want you, our valued customer, to feel secure with the continued use of our canned products. CANIDAE® canned foods in no way is affected by the recall, nor are any of our products produced in any of the recalled production facilities.

CANIDAE Pet Foods also does not produce cuts and gravies, pouches, and does not contain corn, wheat or soybeans in any of our products or formulations, and all ingredients are of US origin. Our heartfelt concerns go out to all those affected by the recall.

CANIDAE Pet Foods

G

·
Nancy, there are scattered reports of problems with dry food. It is very scary.
Bella just turned 1 so we were getting ready to switch from her puppy food. I may try Candidae now. Thanks for the info, Annmarie!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
your welcome Linda

And even my father has called me 3 times about this food recall. he is keeping up to-date on it and concerned about max. peanut has been on bland food diet and not affected.

i am sooooooo outraged by this and also scared. I feelfor anyone who has had a problem develop with their pet. so sad.

i wonder if max's problems were started and/or as he keeps testing negative since january for worms and was on nutro dry food though...well just makes one wonder is all. he's doing GREAT on canidae and almost completely on it 100%. by next week he should be and so gald Canidae is safe from this scare.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts