Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abbey is almost 11 weeks old. She has been the perfect pup. She is a darling mini-labradoodle. We keep her in a crate at night and have a couple of "puppy pens" (soft sided large dog crates with open top) we use around the house during the day. And then she is free play in the kitchen and back yard, with supervision. We also take her on long walks, actually carry her because she hasn't had all her shots.

Today the world has changed. She will not stay in her pens, even with us in the room, without crying and making a fuss. Nothing we do will make her stop crying out. This has been going on like this all day. She wants to be held or out free.

Yesterday she had diarrhea and was diagnosed with Giardiasis. So she is taking a little medication. But It is like we have a different dog.

I would love some suggestions to make her comfortable enough to stop this crying and settle down. I don't think she's had a nap today.

Barbara
No. California

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
poor thing, she may not feel well. sounds like she is off routine. Did you add yogurt and perhaps a tablesoom of canned pumpkin to her diet to help replace bacteria and help alleviate the diarrea a little quicker?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I know when Max had severe diarrhea he too cried alot which meant i ran outside with him and yes once inside he really needed much more love than usual..........hope your baby doodle gets better soon.

If the crying continues you may want to call the vet again

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I agree with the others, this much change in behavior suggests something isn't right. I would make a call to the vet if it continues. What medication are you treating the giardia with? When Tanner has diarrhea his is very aggitated and can't relax.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the tips. Abbey had a good night. I heard her about 1am and took her out and then she slept until about 6:30a. The night before she was up four times. She also ate her breakfast (some bland can food from the vet and her medicine). So I hope she is feeling better.

You guys are all right and I'll give her extra love during this time. She is so cute you just want to hold her all the time anyway!! It is a fine line. I don't want to spoil her.

I'll try and post a pic of Abbey!

Thanks so much for your help,

G

·
Ah spoil away. If you keep reading posts you will see none of our doodles are spoiled....BWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, welcome!
We are in northern CA too...not extremely close, but in our neck of the woods, we find anyone in northern CA to be a neighbor!
I agree with the others...I'd make sure that she is getting better, and just love her through it...
She COULD be going through a growth phase too, so be careful that you don't allow her to "train" you.
As much as you want to cuddle her through this, and you should, pick her up when she is being good so that you are not rewarding the crying or demands. If you want to pick her up when she is crying, try to distract her so she stops crying and then pick her up...you don't want her to connect the attention to the crying, if possible.
There is a very good thread on this forum, written by Ann Marie, about how to feed a dog with digestive problems...
I'd start with a very mild diet, boiled chicken, over cooked (mushy) rice and mostly water...and after a day or so, add a little more chicken and rice until you feel that she is able to handle other things. A tiny bit of canned pumpkin, crushed pineapple and mango help to ease the intestinal tract...and you can buy products that contain these things...oh, and of course live culture yogurt.
If it turns out to be a phase, rather than an illness, you will probably benefit from tethering your pup to you...check the internet for lots of good advice on that method of training.
Again, welcome to the forum and good luck!

G

·
Yogart didn't work for me (made the stools worse) and I haven't tried the Pepto yet (probably will be soon due to my dog's love of inedible things). Canned pumpkin worked great though. I gave a teaspoon to Maya at each meal until her poop firmed up and then just watched her and gave her a scoop whenever I saw a loose or semi loose stool. Apparently some dogs won't eat it but Maya went through the trash to get to the can. Make sure you get pure pumpkin though.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Digestive aids for canine tummies:

teaspoon of pumpkin
1/4slice of sweet potato

they aid in digestion whereby they can help to settle the intestinal tract. When a dog's intestines are irratated, they can take longer than humans for their intestinal tract to calm down. Thus, the homemde diet aids in that it's lean meats with digestive enzyme food so a dog can absorb fat, protein and carbohydrates via intestinal walls RATHER than it passing thru and being excreted.

I had to cook for Max for 4mos with him testing negative to everything BUT had severe diarrhea for 7 weeks straight and then intermittently for a long time. Dog food was off limits as we tried 6 kinds at the time with no success.

Homemade diet:

boiled rice , oatmeal, boiled and rinsed in warm water to remove all grease: chicken, venision, lean beef....once in great while poached fish.

2 parts rice or oatmeal to 1 part meat etc

Sweet potatoe, canned pumpkin, little pineapple,--- OMEGA 3 capsule spread over food 1x a day

I also had given papaya chewable tablets as it's a digestive enzyme but i would consult with your VET first as i did mine.

I did give the rare treat of 1 teaspoon of cottage cheese and yogurt , anymore and Max would let loose SBD's.

Pepcid was given 1 hour before meals for a 8 day period to allow proper digestion.

Don't know if this helps, HOPE all goes WELL SOON for you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts