Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyke finished her first step towards becoming a therapy dog - she graduated from "puppy preschool" last night! She will have a couple of weeks "vacation" from school and then start her basic obedience class in December. She did such a great job at following the trainer's instructions!
However, she has "issues" with being the center of attention - when the trainer would start working with another puppy and its owner, Tyke would start barking and jumping up - she wants ALL the attention! I think I have a future drama queen here! Maybe I should sent her to acting class.....

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Yeah...good for you Tyke...Regarding wanting all the attention, she is a Southern belle after all :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should have named her Scarlett instead!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
YAY Tyke! Wat to go big girl!

That's my ultimate goal for Dexter as well. He's currently on hiatus from obedience classes too - we're waiting for the next round to classes to start up, and we'll be there! Dex's problem is that he gets too distracted by all of his fun schoolmates - he wants to say hi to everyone!

Ah yes, puppy classes.......fun times; fun times.

:p

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tyke is already getting a taste of therapy work. We have a veterans home here and my father is there. Of course, he loves for us to bring his "granddoodle" to see him, but it is amazing how the other patients light up when they see her coming down the hall! There is one older man in particular who loves to have her sit in his lap(that won't be possible much longer - Tyke is growing like a weed!). While he pets her, he tells me stories of the dogs he used to have. It really feels good to see Tyke bring a little sunshine into these veterans' days! :lol:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
tykesmom said:
While he pets her, he tells me stories of the dogs he used to have.
And that's what it's all about to me...how they get almost transported to another time, all because of the love of a dog...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yea Tyke!! And with all your funny expressions you would be the perfect actor if you decided to go that route instead! We are also thinking of Bailey for a therapy type dog. We have a program called PALS in which the dogs (or other animals) go to visit the people in old folks homes and hospitals. As a nurse, I used to love to see the children's eyes light up when it was pet night. They have to be a year old before enrolling in the program and must be well trained and able to be relaxed and calm around other animals. There was a night when one of the PALS dogs grabbed and ate a PALS bird right in front of the kids!! Needless to say, that poor doggy didn't get to continue in the program. But there are other labradoodles in the program who do extremely well and don't eat other peoples pets!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congrats Tyke!!!!! I admire all you out there who are willing to put the time and effort into the extensive training service dogs require. You will help make someones quality of life much better than it is now. Thank you for all you do.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Congrats TYKE!!! way to go!!! :D :D :D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts