Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been bringing Milo to obedience class with a really good trainer (and vet actually) and she mentioned I should get him clipped because his hair was getting just a bit too long.

So I called a local groomer. I asked all the right questions, how long has she been grooming (30 years) have you clipped labradoodles before (oh yes lots :roll: ) and told her I just wanted him TRIMMED.

He came back completely clipped right down to the skin on his face so he totally looks like a poodle now, his body is actually nice, about an inch and a half all round, but she left his tail alltogether, so it looks like a retriver tail! He looks totally bizarre! And now this will likely take MONTHS for him to look "normal" again. Even my other dog, Bailey didn't recognise him!

When I went to pick him up, all I could say was "this is not my dog!!!" :cry:

I have never clipped a dog myself, but this experience has made me decide to clip Milo myself from now on. :evil:

Any advice, thoughts, sympathy? :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im so sorry, the same thing happened to Hyde about 4 months ago. I took him in just for a trim and they shaved him completly! I didnt even recognize him. Luckily their hair grows back but it did take Hyde longer then expected to grow his back. I started practicing trimming myself and its pretty easy, so now i groom him myself so i get exactly what I want. Do you have any pictures of his new "do", i'd like to see what he looks like.

·
Registered
163 Posts
No advice! Unless it's really cold where you live, you might invest in a sweater for a while. My shih tzu emily get real mad if we don't put her sweater on her after she gets clipped.

However, that being said...PICS!!!! :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
689 Posts
We had Chester trimmed and the groomer asked if she could do a "teddy bear" clip to his face. It turned out pretty good---he kept a lot of his scruffiness.
Poor Milo, I'm at the same stage with my hair!
I hope the other dogs in the neighborhood don't make fun of him.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Dang!! That must make you so mad!
I do hope that you complained...or that if you didn't, you will!
I don't think that you will get your money back, but at least you could send her a picture of a nicely trimmed Labradoodle, and one of Milo and say, "What's wrong with this picture?" Ugh!
I would simply tell them that you relied on their representation that they groomed Labradoodles "all the time" and that you are very upset with the result.
If nothing else, it will make you feel better.
I hope that Milo will grow his hair back as fast as a chia-pet!

·
Registered
11 Posts
it sounds like they just did a "rush job" on poor milo! they did that on my cute little scottie a few months ago and i was steaming and told them they lost a good customer. he looked more like a little rat than a scottish terrier! gosh, i shudder even thinking of bring my labradoodle to them! i keep giving him baths and hoping that will make his hair grow faster! yup, i'm going to invest in a trimming kit too!

·
Registered
424 Posts
When we had a cocker spaniel we had to get groomed every 4 months or so. He always came back looking so small and skinny it was hard to look at him! And he knew it too. We had to give him lots of love and attention as he always felt a bit insecure with his new look. But if we didn't get it fairly short we would have been getting him groomed every month at $50 a visit.

We tried a few different groomers until we found one that would clip him the way we liked, not too short. And he LOVED going to that groomers. He got to spend the day there and play with the other dogs as she boarded pets as well. It was like doggie play group and spa in one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Groomer over did Nezzie at the last visit ,but was partly my fault ..I decided to take both my dogs into petsmart at the same time for grooming by myself ..Each dog behaves well seperate does.....together they can overtake me..
I gave minimal instruction...leave her face long and her tail feathers alone....Zoey was just getting a puppy bath
To make a long story short she looked like Falkor the flying dragon on the childrens classic The Never Ending Story...
The next week when we took her to petsmart for just a social visit she started whining as we got close to the grooming dept ....
I think it was good advice in an earlier post...take a picture of what your want.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just a tip... thinning shears work great around the face (no sharpe ends either), they help keep the messy look without appearing clipped or scissored.
tm

·
Registered
377 Posts
Toby is at the groomers now. She is supposed to give him a hygiene trim only......I called and she said he was biting the hairdryer :?

·
Registered
689 Posts
So just after I said we had a groomer who did a good job on Chester and gave him a teddy bear face...we took him in and she was GONE! OH NO! He was groomed and I'm not too happy with the results. He looks skinny, which I expected but the way they left his hair longer on his face makes him look sad! I can't wait until the scruffiness comes back.

Don't you just hate having to find a new person to do your hair---same with groomers I guess.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Speaking of all this....I'm going to the groomers tomorrow!
For myself. I'm terrified. I haven't had a haircut in years!
I'm gonna try to get the same cut as Kelly Pickler from American Idol (for those of you who watch)
My hair is down to my butt right now, so I'm real scared that it'll look bad. Plus I haven't had bangs since I was a kid!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I love Kelly Pickler! How long did it take you to grow your hair out? I am trying to grow mine out. I am going to donate it to Locks For Love. I am just now getting started; I am probably too old to have long hair, but oh well, it is for a good cause.

·
Registered
146 Posts
yea, I guess so...like Ann. I actually came inspired by a little girl in my sons playgroup has alopecia. Her body rejects all hair growth, so one day she will need to have a wig made.

Hope your hair cut went well, Tina!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts