Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know yesterday we got married. We don't usually have a lot of company here cause our place is so tiny (not for long though :)) So yesterday we had Kevin's mom and Aunt Julie and cousin Sarah here. They are all big dog lovers too, and hadn't gotten to see Dex for quite some time, so they were excited to see him.

Lately we've been having real issues with him jumping up on people. He is so social, but so large, he can knock a person over or draw blood with his paws. So we've been working, not too successfully, with that. So yesterday was the big test. When we got back from the ceremony and dinner, it was time for cake, and for Dex to come out of his crate. At first he was a little wild, wanting to jump on everyone. He would circle the table, stopping at each chair to have a jump. Each time he went around to mom, she would raise one finger (index, for all you naughty minds) and he would stop in his tracks. After 5 minutes of "the finger" he was circling the table and sitting like a gentleman to get pets and bits of frosting. It was so funny, when anyone gave him "the finger" he would turn and look at mom as if to say "you started this" LOL! We had lots of laughs about it. After they left, "the finger" still seemed to work with him. What a hoot!

It may not last long term, but for now, he'll be getting "the finger" daily!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I can just see you now when people ask why your dood is so well behaved....you can tell them you give him the "finger"!! :lol:

I know there have been times I've wanted to do that to mine! :roll:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
First of all, congratulations on your marriage! (Pictures forthcoming???)

Second...that is funny you should mention this...I posted on another tread about how all of my dogs bark at something. Like they'll be in the garage when a visitor comes down the driveway and the barking begins...now this is a really bad and scary sound coming from the most gentle and loving dogs...but I open the garage door, stand there and whisper "settle" or "quiet" and it stops immediately...but I had not thought about it until now...I ALWAYS have a pointer finger in the air! LOLOLOL

Maybe they have finger envy! 8)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
wow! well i'm willing to try anything new so I'll try "the finger" next time too. Dex goes crazy for about 5 min when someone comes to our house and then is fine. However in that 5 min he'll jump all over everyone :roll: Yesterday our neighbor came over and he jumped up on her at least 3 times...we gave him some carrots and he settled down, but that initial excitement is tough to control. I've tried teaching the settle command, but haven't been overly successful yet.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
We keep his favorite treat by the
door so that when a visitor comes in
he gets rewarded by them if he does not jump
up. If he does jump then the visitor will turn their back on Denver
till he settles and tries again. It is working very well.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
that's another great idea sue. we are always running to get a treat when a visitor arrives - i think we'll have some ready in advance next time.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahaha I Lov it...just give the doodle the finger! :D

max associates the finger with the word HUSH

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
That's tremendous !! I have gotten Coco to respond to very quiet commands, and hand or finger signals....

YES!! They all are sooooo SMART!!!
8)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was thinking as I was reading--just how do they use thier fingers exactly. Thank You Vanessa for the explaination, I love the techniques for all occasions. Can't wait to try some

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love it!! I thought you all would think I'd gone round the bend, but of course not, cause you've all gone round with me!! :lol: :lol:

The nature of mom's finger command is to raise it like a #1, swiftly and with meaning, LOL, and hold it there til he settles. It grabs his attention and is still working today.

How funny!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner has been barking his head off lately at home. He doesn't bark anywhere else. I tried the finger and the shush....It worked... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
annieG said:
Tanner has been barking his head off lately at home. He doesn't bark anywhere else. I tried the finger and the shush....It worked... :lol: :lol:
congrats Annie!!! happy for you :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The finger works here unless Sandy is all hyped up... then he tries to bite it :shock: :roll: :?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Uh Oh!! Miko!! :shock:

Are you in trouble???? :?

I would be grounded for sure!!
My Mom would not be happy with me!!! :x

Better go say sorry to your Dad!! :oops:

He'll forgive you..... :wink:

Coco

·
Registered