Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FDA Quote in USA Today on March 26th:
Despite some complaints by pet owners that animals have been sickened or died after eating dry food, FDA does not believe any dry food was involved in the contamination. Menu does not make dry pet food.
I have absolutely NO FAITH in the FDA now. Their handling of this has been horrible. Once again, the recall for the dry food is released on a Friday afternoon to minimize the impact on stock prices. Words cannot describe how angry I am and I do not even personally know any dogs that died. I can't even imagine how angry these owners must be.
With the Freedom of Information Act, shouldn't the newspapers be able to get the name of the gluten supplier released? Why is the FDA protecting their identity?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument

One U.S. company that makes dry pet foods got a shipment from China of the wheat gluten contaminated with melamine, said Dr. Stephen Sundlof, the FDA's top veterinarian. He did not refer to Hills by name.

WHY are they protecting the companies and not our pets?

Sundlof said he understands how consumers feel at hearing experts talk about what they consider safe and what isn't.

"We understand that it is confusing. It is confusing to everybody. We are trying to make sense of this. But that is the messy nature of these investigations."

He and other government officials are walking a line, he said, trying to "reassure consumers that their pet food is safe but not (give) them any false expectations."
WTF? Reassurance??? False expectations???? What kind of statement is this? Oh, I am so angry!

Although the FDA has confirmed only 16 deaths, it also says it has been swamped with 8,800 calls of sick or dead pets that officials haven't had time to investigate.

The calls are coming from all 50 states. The FDA says it is too early to know whether the contaminated food is concentrated in any particular regions.

Sundlof said "a lot" of the callers are saying they feed their pets only dry food.
OK, but lets keep assuring the consumers that the food is safe, right? :roll:

And this is REALLY REASSURING :roll: :
Wheat gluten also is used in human food; the FDA said it could not say for sure, but it had no reason to believe contaminated gluten got into any human food.
Lossau wrote Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., asking him to make sure the FDA does its job.

She said, "They failed at every turn."
And they continue with their abysmal response to this crisis.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Long post...sorry.

Well, Linda, I think that they are trying to minimize the impact...just as you say. This is all market driven. And I join you in your outrage!

Food for thought: many say that a lawsuit is fruitless (don't get me wrong, I am not advocating suing in THIS post) because pets are only considered "chattel" which means "personal property" the law does not recoginze their emotional value to humans...well, that is changing.

Recently a very wise attorney in CA won a huge wrongful death case against a vet who killed a dog. The vet smugly offered to replace the value of the dog. Nope...the attorney argued that IF that vet sincerely believed that the dog was mere chattle, how could he justify the thousands and thousands of dollars that he charges (and gets) every month from people who are treating their dogs and cats as if they were family? Why would they pay to have teeth cleaned, buy drugs or get operations on them? Chattle can be replaced...when it wears out...our pets can not.

I think it is time for the opinions to change...either these industries have to stop making gigantic incomes from our love of our pets OR they need to officially recognize that they are not just chattle. (If this poison was affecting Cheerios or Kraft foods, the FDA would be acting much differently, I imagine.)

The government won't get around to recalling all of the products.

Why? Bottom line...the government wants to protect this gigantic industry. Think of the ramifications...the FDA, although they have a job to do, will drag their feet until evey bag of the tainted food is sold...THEN when the "new and improved...SAFE" bags come out, and ... ta da! The industry survives and all information will be quietly mentioned and we move on.

What I'd love to see (but won't, I'm sure) is a total consumer boycott of pet foods, whether tainted or not...in my opinion the entire industry is tainted right now.

Personally, I am returning every bag/can we bought (we pre-buy because we feed a lot of dogs) and the stores are really good about taking them back. It always prompts the discussion about dry foods are safe and I get to tell them what I believe...and people standing around listen, and agree...grass roots at its best.

I think that the dog/cat registries ought to put their money where their (collective) mouths are...have you seen any...ANY...statement from the AKC, CKC, ALAA, or any other pet industry come out and officially demand accountability? I haven't. Why??? I don't get it...these groups are the most powerful allies for our pets and we pay them millions of dollars every year...wouldn't you think that they could make an impact here? Shouldn't they try?

I am not talking about PETA, ore even radical behavior. Just an official statement calling for accountability, NOW.

I am talking about the AKC, CKC, ALAA (ALAA named here because they are OUR organization) and others...those who get OUR money and give us all kinds of lovely, fluffy "pretty dog/cat" fun stuff...where are they when the animals are needlessly dying?

Until these things happen, the FDA (government) will continue to pull/recall ONLY the tiniest part of the market...the pouches that are not sold much, the chunks that aren't sold much, the prescription diets that aren't sold much and dry cat kibble that isn't sold much...so, when these are recalled and they say that "everything esle is safe" people are trading the "bad tiny market" for the "good, gigantic market" and all is right with the pet food industry.

You won't see the really big ticket items on the block (major brands of dry dog food kibble and canned pet foods) unless it becomes impossible for them to ignore.

Off my soapbox now...with a note that this is just the tip of the iceburg.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jac. It is exactly what you have been saying from day one. I just wrote to my Congressman asking him to get involved.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really was at a loss as to why the FDA would not name the Chinese supplier of the tainted wheat gluten.
I think I just figured it out. The tainted wheat gluten came from China TO A US SUPPLIER who then sold it to the pet food companies (and possibly even human food companies although the FDA has "no reason to believe that ...yet" :roll: )
So the FDA is protecting the name of the US SUPPLIER.
:evil:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although the FDA has confirmed only 16 deaths, it also says it has been swamped with 8,800 calls of sick or dead pets that officials haven't had time to investigate.

Could the FDA be swamped because they are afraid the gluten contamination might be in OUR food? This would explain the lack of resources. And because they do not want a huge panic, they are trying to concentrate the investigation into whether the gluten went into the human food chain? An announcement like this would send stock prices plummeting. Wheat gluten is in an incredible amount of processed food and it does not even have to be listed on the labeling. Did Del Monte Foods only use this wheat gluten for pet treats? Del Monte is more known for people food. And when a company finds a cheap supplier, would it not make sense to purchase for the whole company in bulk?
Just a thought. There has been no official announcement of this.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
All of this Food contamination makes me wonder if certain food companies will look to US production in the future again? but then again many use overseas companies to keep their costs down and profits up.

The FDA at this moment makes me sick. The answers they give are vague, and like a tibit morsel for many people to hang onto waiting for more.

And yes Linda...stock prices do drop in instances like this. I wonder what else or what next food is going to be reported as being tainted.

The other day my dad called and we both agreed Max's digestive or sensitive tummy problems and failing health back then really could have been due to his food. Luckily i got mad at my previous vet, and took matters into myown hands. OR max would have been on science diet rx., that vets push.

My heart aches for those that lost their dear pets due to this horrific incident.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chinese Supplier of Wheat Gluten named (Finally!) by the FDA.
But the US supplier of the contaminated product has still not been released yet.
China Company:
Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology 3/30/07 Wheat gluten
Development Company Ltd. 02F[][]08
Wangdian Industrial Zone,
Peixian, CN-32, China 221623
FEI# 2000023594
http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia9926.html

·
Registered
483 Posts
You have hit the nail on the head, all of you. This entire thing is market driven, as in anything.... follow the money! I'd imagine that our organizations don't want to risk alienating dog food manufacturers who advertise in their publications???

The FDA has been in the hip pocket of big business for Decades, while we quietly sit by and trust them to be seeing to our well-being, and I Do mean humans as well! One other interesting thing that we don't realize is the extent to which medical schools are influenced by pharmaceutical companies who make massive contributions, then can dictate curriculum. (Rather than slide off topic onto that subject, I'll refer you to www.Mercola.com, where Dr. Joseph Mercola wages an ongoing information campaign.)

The part of the government's advice to us regarding "Not to worry, the rest of your pet food is safe to use, just keep checking the recall list daily.", is less than amusing. Huh? You mean if our feed shows up on the recall list it was safe up to the day it appeared there?

Another thing driving the American trust of foostuff is that we are so highly regulated here that we assume offshore production is equally supervised. Don't count on it! Chemicals and toxins long since banned in the US are still used in other parts of the world. In spite of the bad press here, I don't look to manufacturers to bring production home. It would be just too expensive. Sadly, many business schools over the past decades have emphasized the bottom line over ethics.

You are absolutely correct that this is just the tip of the iceberg, and I have to opine that human food could also be involved. (jmho)

Annmarie, I like the soap box theory. My vet's receptionist offered me some bland canned food recently, and I got my glasses out and "reviewed" the label before saying "thanks anyway" and putting it back on the shelf. I'm sure the man in the waiting room got an earful.

We, as a nation, are So accustomed to trusting processed food that we seldom question the contents. I can't disagree with the boycott suggestion, but think it won't happen, considering the number of busy people to whom it is so convenient to dump some kibble in a bowl. I'm just glad I've been cooking from scratch for Deva and the Puppy Pile, (...who look as though they'll be walking in the next day or so, maybe even some eyes about to open!!! I think I'm about to get a taste of what my breeder mentors have meant by "Busy!")

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Delmonte voluntarily recalls treats

Delmonte has done a voluntary recall of some of its pet treats. I was so mad when I heard this b/c last week I checked their site and they said no worries! Well, just so happens those are the treats I give Boyd!!! :evil:

Now Boyd is getting chicken tenders, beef and cheese.

I was at the grocery store yesterday buying him people food, and a lady was buying her cat some fish and another guy was buying his dog hamburger!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LAM...the 2 places here that sell Canidae life stages is getting bought out! and my friend who works as manager at major grocery chain so many dog owners are buying beef and chicken for their pets now.

I on the other hand am a little tired of cooking rice, chicken and beef for what almost 4mos now. I am not complaining, just that you have to stay on top of cooking OR like yesterday i was down to last bit or rice so was making more thinking well they are 3/4 dry dog food to 1/4 bland diet and decided to give 90% dry with 10% rice. my poor babies today are suffering with mushy poopies that are almost firming up again. i have cleaned enough poop to last me a lifetime but something tellls me that won't happen yet hahhahahhahaaa

Anyway, this food recall is sickening!! and scary! cause now we also have the pigears at Bj's,,,the Beef jerky treats, moist and dry food all on recall lists. Even though Canidae is safe it still instills fear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It really is sickening isn't it? My husband at the moment is quite offended that I cook for Boyd but not for him! :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahaha my fiance Dave said he thinks his tummy is upset and may have a bout of mushy poop :wink: and what will i cook for him? hahahhaa

acutally i am going to make chicken parmesean tonight so i can also cook chicken for mydoodles at same time :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And we are having chicken fajitas so I can cook tenderloins for Boyd.... The things we do for our little doods!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts