Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you seen this tv show called; the end of my leash. I saw 2 episodes last night. Some guy comes to peoples house and helps them fix behaviour problems their dog has, and seams to also resolve issues between other family members haha :shock:

the first show was about walking on a leash withoud the dog pulling and it made sense what he did. It is hard to describe but he used a regular leash and literally ran around with the dog, making sharp turns and turning around quicly. The dog really had to watch him in order to be able to follow him around. After a few minutes, he could walk around with the least just hanging over his shoulder, and the dog walking by his side. I think I will actually try this with Kasper, along with my stopping when he pulls method I am trying to use.

But the other episode left me some questions... It was about treat trainig, and this guy was really against it. He said it can be dangerous because the dog might jump and bite a child if it were holding something of interst (treat), and even if the dog did not mean to bite it could accidently hurt the child. Now I have been treat training Kasper, and doing ok, but he has been mouthy from the beginning, and even if he is getting better, this is an issue that conserns me.

Even if Kasper is great, he sure is a handful, and he really does have a thing for food. He literally never seams to get enough, and maybe thats why it is easy to get him to to things for treats :?: I have noticed him being obsessive about someone entering the garage, where his big bag of food is, and it is impossible to open the fridge or a cabinet in the kitchen with out him comming running hehe. And no, he never has any luck begging from us like this, but still he is not about to ive up. :p

haha sorry this is so long, my question is; do you think I am making this obsession worse by using the treats, maybe it is better that food is only at meal time, then he might relax about it? I am worried because he dosent really respept my son, and I think he might try to steal his food if I were not watching.

thanks for reading,

Frida

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Frida the only time i do treat training is when the puppy is young and i am trying to do very basic commands. Once they've mastered them then i do 50/50 shot if puppy gets treat and then go to NO TREATS untill we're done training.
Lots of HUGS and GOOD BOY/Girl and tons of praise is their treat.
and i find my doodles stay more focused on training without them but what works for me doesn't always work for others.

and i'd say all Puppies are natural born beggars hahahaa with time and training it ceases or greatly alleviates.

YOUR son ...is there any way he can feed the dog sometimes? or even walk him with you at his side? putting your son in the role of dog trainer at times? it can help with respect

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The leash training technique sounds very familiar! That's basically what our trainer does. We take the dog through a series of walks at different paces, turns, sits, etc. and the dog really has to pay attention. It works but its tiring. Charlie would get really sick of it and basically "go on strike" near the end of a one hour class.

As far as treat rewards go, I wouldn't worry too much. Are you rewarding your dog with a treat for jumping up and grabbing something out of your hand? Probably not. I only give treats after the dog has completed the behavior and is sitting politely. I say "OK" to let him know he's released and give him his treat.

If a dog is food oriented and not trained to wait, he will go after what someone has in their hand.

Deb

·
Registered
462 Posts
I use treats to get Napa to learn a new thing. But Napa's so inconsistent with eating the treats, that I quickly need to change to just excitement when he does the thing I want him to do. But I also know that Napa's not normal in the fact that he doesn't like treats....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your answers :D

about the treats, yes I am trying to fade it out, and have been doing ok, but Kasper seams to have grown bananas in his days over the holydays :? So I have been using it more lately. And it is a good point Deb about how he gets the treat, you are right, he never gets anything while exited, even for his meals he has to sit and wait until I say he can eat, or else he would finish before the food was on his dish :shock:

It is really good to hear your thoughts about this all, Kasper is the first big dog both me and my hubby have had, and he is getting stronger everyday, so I just want to be on top of things hehe, even the vet admits he is a handful haha, and it is not because he hates to go there.... it is because he think it is so much FUN! haha and gets really exited, Why... yes you guessed right, he allways gets treats while she does the shots hehe :lol:

we are starting puppy classes in jan and I just cant wait... :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts