Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For months I've been reading posts about Doodles stealing/eating socks, chewing woodwork and furniture, digging up gardens, digestive problems... etc. and I'm thinking Ozzie must be some kind of wunderhund because he hasn't done this destructive stuff (yet).

But I'm now faced with a developmental behavioral milestone-- Ozzie gets into a "defiant" mood where he not only refuses to obey a basic command like "sit", but stares me down, shakes his head, does a mini-500 and barks at me. I think this phase will pass and until it does, I won't back down an inch with him. I usually get him on the extra long training lead and I will run him through his repertoire of commands over and over again until his "defiant will" breaks down and he becomes submissive and fully obedient again. This sometimes takes more than an hour! Once he "submits", I praise him profusely and do some high energy free play with him. After the play, just to reinforce the lesson, I run him through his commands one more time. No yelling, no punishment, and most of all I don't EVER chase him. All I want to do is knock him back down the social ladder a few rungs and reinforce that I am the Alpha in this house, not him.

Any comments or feedback?

·
Registered
15 Posts
When Dewey hit about 9 months, he went through the same phase. We thought it was because we had moved him from California to TN (you'd be mad too :) )...but I think it was because he was testing his limits. I started being a lot more careful about proving to him that I was the boss--like walking through the doors first and then letting him come in, ignoring his fits until he was calm, then rewarding him...I've heard that free feeding can lead to this kind of behavior, so I started scheduling his feedings, that seemed to help reinforce in his head that I was in charge. Dewey got over / grew out of that stage in about a month, hopefully Ozzie will too!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
How old is Ozzie? I'm guessing about 5-6-7months? That's the teen years for a dog. Sometimes it starts later and runs a little later. Cinnamon was 8 months before she out grew this stage. Be firm and don't let them get away with anything. Even when he throws you his "aren't I just the most adorable thing?" look!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa sorry been there done that hahhaaaaaaaa

Ozzie's sounds like a full fledged teenager...usually a stage but daily training helps too. As long as he doesn't borrow your car you'll survive :wink:

and try some 20 to 30min lie downs if you can....they really do help alot in these stages they go thru

1 - 4 of 4 Posts