Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who crate, what type of crate do you think is best, one with a hard top or the open metal wire kind?

I am not sure whether the dog feels more secure in a "den" like atmosphere or one where she can see you and the room better.

Also, did most of you buy just one crate or did you get a smaller one for the first year and then get a larger one once grown?

We are planning to get a pup who should be about 50 pounds full grown. But I have read many articles advising not to get the crate too large or the pup may eliminate in it. What have you all found to be best?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I have two one medium and one extra large.
They are both the black wired crates...
Denver still uses his extra large and the other is
in the garage waiting ....................

·
Registered
260 Posts
we use a wire crate -- i think they have better air circulation and are easier to clean. you can always put a blanket or something over it if your dog likes to feel more enclosed. plus the wire crates fold down for easier transportation. we bought crates based on the adult size. the crates came with a divider that can be moved as the pup grows and eventually removed altogether -- this keeps the pup confined to an area of the crate that is the appropriate size.

-em

·
Registered
100 Posts
emilee said:
we use a wire crate -- i think they have better air circulation and are easier to clean. you can always put a blanket or something over it if your dog likes to feel more enclosed. plus the wire crates fold down for easier transportation. we bought crates based on the adult size. the crates came with a divider that can be moved as the pup grows and eventually removed altogether -- this keeps the pup confined to an area of the crate that is the appropriate size.

-em
Exactly what I would have said!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
great answers...I agree!
I guess for me I like the wire so I can see and so my pup can see! But the cleaning issue is also a plus with the pull-out tray if housebreaking isn't all the way done.

We bought our first crate in 1989 and there was no divider so we used a box. But those dividers would be handy so you can buy one crate, ideally.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Beau was used to the airline kennels. We got him a black wire crate so that he could see Cacao in hers. And if we would crate them they were together with out being in the same cage. So they both have the wire cage. We like it. :)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice....I would not have known to look for one with a movable divider!!! Perfect. Thanks so much

What kind of bedding do most of you put in the crate?

G

·
I put an old blanket in once I knew Maya was potty trained. A lot of puppies chew though so you may want to just go with out.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ditto on all of the good information...one caution, if you will be gone, remove your pup's collar while he is in the crate.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
my only caution..

i heard a yelping and i came running to the crate..Toby had
been trying to chew on the wire cage and got his teeth and muzzle
caught between the bars.. :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
We got Wrigly at 3 mos & although he wan't housebroken, he never had an accident in his crate, & was left for 5 hours from the start. We got one crate for our bedroom,where he slept until he could be trusted not to have accidents at night. That one is a large size crate - 36" and I knew he'd grow into it. In fact, at almost 6 mos old, he's almost too big for it. We also recently got a larger 42" crate for downstairs, where he stays while we are gone during the day. We got a Midwest wire crate. IF you want to spend the extra money, it's nice to have the double or triple doors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We have had 4 crates!! One was plastic/enclosed (the one she was shipped to us in). The other 3 are wire crates. Our puppy didn't have a preference but now that it is summer...I would say the wire crate may be more comfortable....however...the darkness of the enclosed crate helped to soothe her when she was little. We tried draping a towel over the wire crate but she liked to bite at it and pull it off/in the crate.

The reason for 4? I had one at home and one at work - then she outgrew the first set of crates so now we have large crates at home and at work. They grow really fast...so I recommend getting a large crate with a divider. Besides, these are usually collapsable and easier to transport places.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts