Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you keep them out from the other's bowl!!! Our cats who are still adjusting to having Sam around, have always had a bowl of dry out for whenever they want to eat. Well Sam eats it all and the poor guys are meowing and rubbing us because they are starving all the time! and then I catch them digging into the remains of Sam's wet food.

We had their food on the counter, but we stopped because we don't want them to always be up there. We say "NO." to Sam and he listens when we are around, but then I come home and the cats look at me and their bowls are all empty!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I know Sue trained Denver to Not eat the cats food and he doesnt

I have a friend with cats and a dog, Hankiepoo was always eating the cat food (and he gained 25 pounds, not good) so she had to keep the cats food in a bedroom with door closed and let the cats in the room numerous times a day and they ate in private.

If you can't train him to leave it alone, I'd say you will have to put it up high but that's not a good option if you don't want cats jumping on everything or in a room with closed door and let cats in to feed several times a day

Good luck

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tips...

He doesn't eat it when we are home, he'll go towards it, look at us and then stop... It's mainly what he does when we are all away at school (my parents teach)...

the cats have a perch by the window, maybe I'll move it up there where their water is...

Sampson is very itchy lately and we are looking into food allergies so we don't want him in the cat food as we try and take certain foods away to see if that is the cause of the itchy scratchies...

·
Registered
398 Posts
You could try some type of barracade for the food. Maybe set it up against a wall and cover with a table leaving just enough room for the cats to get into the area, but not sammy.

Just a thought. We will have to deal with that also as we have two cats.

·
Registered
286 Posts
we keep the cat's food up high - so far she can't get to it, but we're going to have to rethink it soon as she can get her paws up on the sill of the window we keep it on... (its a greenhouse style window for plants)

the dog's food gets eaten immediately so i can't help you there! the cats will munch on it if there's any left so we took it away when she wasn't eating all of it. it also taught her that when we feed her, she better eat it then or not at all!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver had to be taught "off" as I have nine kitties so I trained him
by putting the cat food on the floor and telling him off.(took a while)
My cats have their own table to eat as they were not comfortable
with a puppy running around their food, but he needed to learn
this as there is times when (due to the number of cats), some
of them do have their plates on the floor. Denver will not touch
anything of the floor until he hears the words"clean it up Denver"

Unless you are ready to go back to basics and teach your dog
off then you should leave the cat food up high. :wink: :wink:
I can put cat food on the floor and tell Denver "off" and he will
not touch it,
but when i go to work I move the cat food up high because as
well as
Denver is trained at this I never say never, meaning i do not
want to give him the chance to prove that he might eat it, and
how would I truly know if he did or a cat did teehee.

As far as the cats not eating Denver's food ...........forget it
I can tell them
"off" til the cows come home and they don't care to listen,
so Denver just waits til they are done or I intervene on his behalf.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That's funny Sue! Denver, being such a big guy...letting the kitties eat first...good boy!
We don't have cats...so no help here.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I used to have 3 cats and a dog but i don't remember how we did it.

SUE that's great how you trained Denver :D

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We feed wet food in the AM and PM....The cat eats most leaving just a tiny piece...Tanner cleans the bowl.

The dry cat food we feed in our basement and we have a gate with a small opening for the cat so that Tanner can't go down the stairs.

Our problems is that our cat likes to munch on Tanner's kibble and he already weighs 20 or so lbs. :twisted:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very gentlemanly Denver! :D

We don't worry too much about the cat eating the dog food except that he likes to be pukey later on but he's always been like that and we are going to start them both on Felidae...

Today, the cat food was up on the window perch and I came home to find plenty of food left in it for my big fat 15 lb boys. :D

I still gotta keep trying to train Sammy to stay out of their bowls though! He might take some obedience classes because he only knows sit, lie down, and shake. He won't drop it or stay, which he need to learn.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sam seems fine, its the cat thats puky...

But yeah, we are keeping the bowls up higher now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts