Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been addressed before. And I know on this forum the “Designer Dog” designation for our doodles produces strong feelings. I encountered it for the first time last evening at the Dog Park and was able to repress an angry/snarky remark :x with Ebbe’s help:
Ebbe had just completed a half hour set of Doodle 500’s and came over to the spot where I was chatting with other dog owners. While she was slurping up a half bucket of water, one individual asked what kind of dog she was, I answered Labradoodle. Another woman (owner of a pure bred boxer) sniffed and said “Oh … a ‘designer dog’… At that moment my Ebbe decided to dig then roll around the ONLY wet and muddy spot in the park. I pointed to her and said, “Would you EVER put the label ‘designer’ on THAT?” Emphasizing the point, Ebbe proceeded to put her two front MUDDY paws on her lap (Silly woman, she had treats in her pocket!). EVERYONE around us laughed, including the boxer owner. In fact, she said she would never say/hear the remark again without thinking of my muddy Ebbe!
A contentious moment avoided by my sweet girl. Of course, I had to put our wet and muddy heroine into the back seat of my car :? .

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I always try to judge the situation before telling whether Tanner is a labradoodle or a poodle mix. Several times I have timidly said poodle mix and the person has replied..."oh you mean labradoodle...he is so cute, I wondered what they were like"...from now on it's HE'S A LABRADOODLE AND THEY ARE WONDERFUL :!: :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I really haven't had much negativity at all. I think there are just so many labra and goldendoodles in this area that people are more used to them.

I did encounter this lady w/a 6 mos old german shepard complain "those doodles always go after my dog" the other day at the dog park. I explained that they are very playful dogs and she must give off a signal she wants to play. The owner didn't seem to buy it, but at least it shut her up :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wonderful! I am so happy that your little Ebbe was right on que! Good work! HAHAHAHA

It won't happen often...but it DOES happen...and usually it catches you by surprise and you are not ready with an answer.

Here is a wonderful site to get info...and if you want, you could print it up on some "flyers" or cards, with the link or add quotes...then say, if you really want to know and not just react, you might want to do some research." And walk away.

http://www.canine-genetics.com/

And this is also good...it is a series of great articles about problems with inbreeding practices (common in pure bred dogs)

http://netpets.com/dogs/reference/genetics/assort2.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think that another issue that people have with "designer dogs" is that due to their popularity they can be associated with puppy mills. I know that my new vet had a non-positive reaction when we told her Ginny was a labradoodle and it was not because of purebred snobbery, but because of the association.

I don't really know the answer to get around this stereotype as puppy mills are prevalent for popular breeds, other than to indicate that your pooch was responsibly bred.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hi everyone-
This has weighed on my mind at times too. I love my doodle so much and I hate it when she is judged under the "designer" label. It makes her sound like a fad or a dispensable pet. Nothing could be further from the truth. She is a big part of my life and have never known loyalty and love from a pet (and alot of humans) as I have gotten from Sofie.
I too have awkwardly said a poodle mix if I feel that the labradoodle title will bring a rude roll of the eyes and a "Hmmff", and it has happened before. I rarely mention I got her from a breeder because that brings a whole different tone to their negative feelings. At the same time people who spend time with her and watch her at play cant help but love her.
Thanks for that link jac. I feel a little more armed and will change my appraoch with these people. :x

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
well here in Rochester Doodles are getting catching on and people are enthusiastic about them :D :D :D When they see Max and peanut playing people instantly warm up. I love the fact that 1/2 mi down road they have another labradoodle playmate now.

whereever i go with them people are now more Curious and Open minded about them.

and hahahhhaha LOVE the MUDDY part :wink: my peanut is a mud magnet :wink: an di swear her happiest when dripping wet with mud :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a dog who will NOT get into water! Who will walk in the street before she'd get near a working sprinkler! But one square foot of mud ... it's a PARTY!!!

In the almost 7 mos. that we've had her this was my first encounter with "breed-udice".

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
for a long time people would cross poodles with ANYTHING (and they still do) but the Labradoodle itself has a beautiful history of service and most are unaware. When I share that with people that give the giggle when I say Labradoodle they become enthralled normally with the breed.

I dont recall anyone trying to establish a peekapoo breed or a cockapoo breed :) I think we just had a lot of rambunctious male toy poodles around for those creations!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes I agree the doodle is catching on and there are great people out there who are facinated and accepting. But in Madison where I live alot of people are about the "rescues". There are so many "dog people" where I live but they think twice about any designer dog.I dont feel guilty by any means. Sofie was a great choice for me personally. If I get another I will most likely go to a reputable breeder again.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
These are all great stories and very good
comebacks for "Those People"
Bahahhahahahhaaaaa!!
Kids are just the best though, and if they have not been taught to be prejudiced yet they will approach Denver first and say
Hey Lady I like yer dog, he is neat looking,can I pet him???

·
Registered
176 Posts
As we are always in public with Pepper as she is in training to be a guide dog and wearing her special GDA jacket as a visual AND she is always on the best behavior in jacket (you should see her be a total silly girl out of it-funny she is so smart she knows the difference- guess that's 'cause she's a doodle!!!!) I always explain that Labradoodles were originally bred in Austrailia for guide work as they are so wonderful!!! People are amazed that she is only 15 months. I'm just amazed we get to share time sith such an awesome, intellegent beautiful loving girl!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you Ebbe for standing up for all of us fellow doodles

We usually get the "That is one cool looking dog, what kind is he?". And I proudly say he is a labradoodle and then I get the "so that is what a labradoodle is---cool" Gotta love our doodles. If only people understood the compasion, loving, silly, mischevious, an one hundred other things we see when we look into their eyes. No one would understand except us.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Lets face it gang
We are the biggest saps when it comes to our Doodles
We are strong and proud and give so much love to our dogs that they can
not help but be strong and loyal and loving themselves and that my friends
is the way it ought to be and I am proud to call all of you my friends and
true animal lovers.

See pretty sappy huh?????

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sappy? nope PROUD< HAPPY> ...YES!!!!

I find doodle parents to all have a sense of humor, deep kind genuine hearts, considerate people and the list continues. I think Doodles are a breed that brings people together with a commonality of wanting our dogs to be a part of our family....my dad loves to brag to people how SMART MAX is hhahahaha and he's not a dog, that's he seems half human hahhahahaaaaaaaaaaaa oh i lov it!!! :D Peanut is known as a little stinker :wink: cute one though :D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Interesting discussion. It has been my experience that when most people hear Marley is a labradoodle "Oh really, I have never seen one"...."He is so cute"(which he is, of course). I cannot recall a single negative comment or feeling. Mad City is right, some of the people here in Mad Town very big on rescues, and that is a good thing. But we have the right to shop where we want. I needed a nonallergenic dog, and the doodle sparked our interest. I would guess it is very rare that anybody would give on up, take it to rescue, so we went and got it.

So last week, my dog day care establishment (Marley goes twice a week and absolutely loves it and they thought of him when approached) gave my name to a newspaper reporter who was doing a story on"Designer Dogs". She interviewed me last week and today a photographer is coming over to the house to take pictures for an the article in the newspaper. When interviewed I told the reporter I was not exactly enamored with the term designer dogs. I am not 100% sure what angle she is gonna take, but I think I made my point that Doodles are dogs, plain and simple. Just like mutts and the like. I say let's not get to worried what others may think. The proof is in the pudding. I defy anybody to spend 10 minutes with Markey and not think he is just a normal, lovable puppy. And if they do..it's ok, we got lots of other friends!!

I will keep you posted on the newspaper article. And post a link if it is put on the papers website.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Maddjaxx........i will be really curious to see what angle the reporter takes on this article and would lovE an update when available.

i am with you...designer dog? if you consider being mostly non-allergenic well maybe. But to me these dooodles are special family loving dogs that are unique in their ability to be so precious, comical, caring/loving,and intelligent.

mutts? cross breed? doodle? etc All i know is a doodle is like having the best of two breeds in one :D
I just care about having Max and Peanut live a very long life with me and my family :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Gene wrote
designer dog?? I've spent the last half hour looking and I still can't find a label on Jonah or Miko!!
Hahahahahaa!
That is probably the best comeback and I am gonna
use it when someone tries to label Denver.
Thank Gene!!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts