Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chloe just seems to be out of control! She bites and barks nonstop and terrorizes poor Chase. He has snapped at her a few times and she will stop for awhile but then start up again. He literally can't walk through the room without her jumping on him and I feel so sorry for him. Not to mention sorry for myself with holes in my arms and legs from her nipping. She is only 11 weeks old so I can't take her to any type of formal training yet. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter went through the very nippy/jumping and biting stage at that age too. It just took a LOT of correction. I would say no and give him something appropriate (toy) to chew on. When it got too excessive I would say "NO" and give him a time-out. Eventually he caught on and the behavior stopped, but it took awhile! I wore only old clothes around him for the first few months because he would try to latch onto my shirt/pants :shock:

I can't help you w/your problem of chloe terrorizing your other dog - hopefully someone else has good suggestions.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Suggests: Old clothes, long sleeves, long pants. Gates - with our first doodle we had to keep cat and Hannah separated. Even with Tanner as gentle as he is, our cat is just starting to come and share his space (Tanner is 11 months)
Time outs.....when my daughter's dog came over, we had to put Hannah and then Tanner in X pen when they played too rough.

I also used the pop can with either rocks or pennies in it. Shake at puppy when he would jump and nip...

I agree also with handing them an appropriate toy to chew...I used to keep them in any room in that house where the puppy might go.

Lastly, patience and time.....it will get better with consistancy.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
We had to let Sandy learn his own lessons with the other dogs - he wouldn't stop even with the other dog snarling and snapping at him. Finally one day he put 2 & 2 together. These ARE smart dogs after all - just very stubborn!

As far as the nipping and biting at you - from what I understand its litter behavior and one day you'll wake up and realize she has barely done it for a week - for Sandy the majority of it stopped around 13 weeks. We did TONS of correction and redirection with other toys. He still nips and bites at toes - but usually only new people, so we are working on that too. He also likes to bite the kids tushes when they run from him - so for us it was also all about training the kids not to put their hands up or run away screaming.

Good luck - and remember, just like with children... its a phase, and this too shall pass!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
This is the perfect time to either 1) thether her to you or another family member when she is out of her crate or 2) crate her.
I know it sounds very mean, but it really is not. Don't crate her unless you have to because by tethering her to you she can learn a lot of valuable lessons.
Believe me, she will HATE it at first and fight the tether. You may want to tether her using a harness so she is not always pulling at a collar and choking...but put a collar on her, with a small or partial leash (we call a pull-tab) and use the pull tab to make necessary corrections.
When she moves toward Chase, do a quick jerk of the tab (but kind one...you are not trying to hurt her, only get her attention) and give her a command that she understands, like "sit".
Not it is not too early for puppy kindergarten, in fact it is a perfect time. You might want to ask ahead of time about your particular situation so that the teacher can keep an eye on you and Chloe and give suggestions. But all puppies in puppy kindergarten must have their first two series of shots and the classes are generally taught in vet offices. I would NOT take a young pup to a Petsmart class...look for one in a vet office. Ask your local vet office personnel, they will know of good puppy classes.
It is very important that bad behavior be stopped right away and the thing is that Chloe is only doing what puppied do...Chase will eventually let her know she has gone over the line, but if you want to stop her pestering...training is the key.
You can also ask a puppy trainer to come to your home and observe, giving you suggestions.(Make them wear paper bootie covers and gowns and have them wash hands before handling your pup.)
But start now...don't wait! You can teach her simple commands without help...read some books or even web articles for suggestions.
Good luck!
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1895

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2510

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the advice. I guess since Chase was a perfect puppy, I expected her to be also! I am going to check with my local vet to see if they offer any type of classes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
going thru same thing

Hi..see above post..puppy terrorizing older dog...my puppy is 14 weeks now..and my Golden is getting less lenient with her..he has actually given a few corrections. that made my puppy back off for a while..so I think the older dog knows what they are doing..I hope..also I just take the puppy away when things get to crazy..my puppy is doing less nipping but more wrestling now with my Golden..I also notice she is less nippy with us becuase she has the older dog to play with..but I think the best cures it to make sure the puppy is getting enough exercise and is tired..I know its hard because you cant really take them place they are too young..but I do take mine for a little walk around the block..and then will wipe her paws down when we get home..
good luck..Right now they are actually just hanging out in the family chewing seperate toys...ITS A MIRACLE>.

Val

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Vall. I have been following your post because I have been in the same situation. Chase is such a docile guy and I could tell last night that he just really isn't himself. I literally got no sleep last night wondering what I should do. He is my main concern and has been my best friend for 8 years and needless to say when his feelings are hurt, mine are too. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess we really dont know how the older ones are feeling..Im nots sure if INDY(my golden) likes the puppy or not..they do wrestle a lot..but when he lays down he wants to be left alone..I think eventually they will be good company for each other..same with your dogs..what breed is the older one..I make sure we spend alone time with our Golden..he especially loves my husband..and I will have him take him for walks and stuff without the puppy..but its hard because the puppy(Brandy) needs a lot of my attentions because they are babies..I didnt like when Brandy would do a lot of nipping..especially Indys tail..so I would use a can full of coins and throw it near Brandy or shake it..she would stop...

keep us posted..I will do the same

good luck

val

·
Registered
28 Posts
one more thing

Oh yea..when everyone needs a break ..get each a kong and fill it with the stuff they sell especially for kongs..put a little food in it and give one to each dog..this will distract them for a good while..

val

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Autumn....i did what Jac said. Peanut got tethered to me and dave quite a bit. Also i found crating her helped as she would NAP like puppies should.

Another thing you can try is what i did to peanut.
Sit in a chair and have your doodle sit in front of you NOT facing you. Keep stroking her head and neck etc ....say Good SETTLE or GOOD SIT
every time your doodle tries to be nippy move your hands away keep stroking. Eventually they do settle.
I did this daily with peanut for 10min at a time and it made a difference. Eventually we worked up to a SIT AND STAY ignoring everyone in the house including Max and just sitting quietly not nipping, moving or anything. and always commend them with tons of praise ....they love it! :D

hang in there!!! you are in a rough puppy stage that will start to fade soon

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took Chloe and Chase for a walk around my apartment complex and it really seemed to calm her down. She was even calm enough when we got back to let me "beautify" her. Here is a pic of my pretty girl :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
that is soooooooooo cute. I'd love to do that to Peanut but i KNOW max would steal any barrett from her head hahahaa

thanks for sharing such a sweet picture :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts