Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murphy has had a green discharge from his eyes for a few days now. I did some research and found that it is likely conjunctivitis, so I ordered Terramycin from petedge.com. It arrived yesterday and says to apply it topically, which I have always assumed was on the skin. Should I be applying it to the exterior of his eyelid or the interior? Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure! Topically can mean a specific area, such as the eye...but it USUALLY means the skin....but that makes no sense for conjunctivitis...and for humans this medicine would be put IN the eye by pulling out the lower lid and applying it. I am sure if you put it around the eys, it would seep into the eye and do it's job...but sorry no definite answer here.
Anyone else know?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
when our dogs had an eye infection we applied the ointment (ophthmaolicic? - you know for eyes!) inside the eye. took a line approx 1/4 inch long inside eye three times a day - i did both eyes even though only one presented with infection. (prior I had done one eye and the infection jumped) be careful not to touch the tube. if it is easier put on sterile cotton tip swab and then use swab to apply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts