Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Dec 26 we took our 3 yr old doodle Ringo in for his vacines. he got 3 shots and his kennel cough nose spray. Later that day he was lethargic. on the 27th my wife called vet with concerns. We took him in on the 28th and he had a fever of 104, got a steroid shot. Still lethargic we went back on the 29th, still fever of 104, got another shot and some meds. He was lethargic but eating OK and going potty. He went to the kennel Saturday evening, she called later and said he ate but was still lethargic. Sunday we had to go out of the country, his caregiver is a true professional. He was alert and eating but lethargic Sunday AM, same at 12. At 3pm he was non responsive. Rushed to ER vet, temp 111, no retina activity no brain function, died at 4:15. When we called to ck we got the bad news, devastated to say the least. Vet has no explanation, possible reaction to vacine but manufacturers have no clue.
Has anyone heard of such an issue. We need closure, we miss Ringo very much. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
OMG, I am so sorry, it is never easy to lose a pet and to not know why has to make it so much harder, sounds like Ringo had a reaction to shots, which I've not heard of - what did your Vet think?

My condolences and prayers that you find peace

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
So sorry for your loss that would be one of the hardest things not knowing if the vaccine caused this or not. to be honest I haven't heard anyone else having this issue but that's not to say it hasn't happend. Did they send him to have an autopsy done? If so let us know I would insist they do one if you still can.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI and my heart and prayers go out to you and your family.
I never heard of this and are you able to have an autopsy done ? as perhaps it would help with clousure and give a reason to what happened.

I am soooooooo sorry to hear of your loss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thank for your kind thoughts.

In my discussions with the ER vet they felt that the damage caused to internal organs by his temperature (COMPARED TO A HEAT STROKE)would make an autopsy pointless
The ver thinks it was an alergic reaction but is inconclusive about his findings. I don't want to suggest that anyone is covering their a.. but we have a hard time understanding how a perfectly healty dog can go in sucha short time unless somebody really screwed up. FYI, teh vacine manufacturers offered to pay for an autopsy but we had Ringo creamated based on the info from the vet.
The good news is that our breeder, Butch Carlton of Raleigh, Nc has offered us a black male doodle, 5 weeks old, at no charge. The money is of no object but he was so kind and generous, he really cares about his doodle families. We have accepted and are excited to be welcoming "Lil Ringo" home at the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, I certainly am no vet....but it isn't typical,
I don't think....
though it does happen...for people to run fever
soley due to an allergic response to something.
To me, the steroid shot, without any agent
to bring the fever under control....
and perhaps an antibiotic, since a bacterial infection
could definitely cause fever....was in order.
(Did they rule out an infection with blood work?)
I don't know...~an autopsy may have proved what they
said about damage to organs, but surely there would be
something to indicate what actually took place....
maybe not, I really don't know.

I think with your new Lil' Ringo,
a search for a new vet may be in order.
Maybe the new one, would objectively be able to
give a clue as to what may have been the problem,
for instance, could the vaccine itself been contaminated
with something??

I am sorry this happened.
How very devastating.
Wonderful though that you will be getting a new puppy
to help fill the void.
I cannot imagine your grief and shock at the news.
When do you receive the new puppy?
I pray that all goes well with this one...
and that the hurt you feel now will diminish
and when you think of Ringo, you will only feel the joy
he brought to your lives while he was with you!
Blessings,

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
wow a sorrowful loss and a congrats at the same time.
Thank you for the update ........will look forward to seeing "lil ringo " later this month

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh my gosh I am so sorry for your loss! I cannot even imagine...I have no idea as to what may have happened, but just wanted to say how sorry I am.

Good luck with your new puppy - please come back and post photos :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. We too lost a doodle (at 7 months) and had to move on not really knowing the cause. I am glad you are getting another doodle. He will help your heart heal...you will never forget Ringo but you can love another doodle too.

G

·
I am so sorry for your loss. My brother's dog can not get shots because he is allergic to them. When he was a pup and got his first series right after they gave the shot he had a seizure and fever etc. The vet said that the next year they could give the shots one at a time to isolate which one he is allergic too however the dog's reaction might be worse and he could die. So my brother's dog does not get yearly shots. He is now 6 years old and in perfect health.

I am so sorry for your loss but hopefully the arrival of the new pup will help you heal.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I too wonder if it had to do with the shot and an allergic reaction

might sound silly, but same thing can happen to babies,
I have one son had really bad reaction to Pertussis shot at 2mos old
I spent 72 hours in worry. HE pulled through but is NOT protected against whooping cough. High Fever, screaming, andmore nonstop and finally in 3rd night turned for the better. I slept in a rocking chair holding my baby taking 1 hour naps with him.
so i wonder with small puppies if same can happen? as i too Ringo'sdad would need some kind of answer to put clousure on it and/or peace of mind.

may god bless you with your new Ringo coming soon.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I have heard of reactions to shots. I've not known any dog reactions, but I have heard of them.

My daughter's two cats, both adults, went to have their shots this last month and they BOTH had severe reactions. The cats went into shock and both had to be hospitalized for a few days. The Vet Christie goes to reported both of her cats also had the same reactions to the same vaccines (this happened simultaneously so the Vet didn't know). The vet has now refused to give cats this vaccine unless the clients know of the possible side effects. She's also reporting it to the manufacturer and to the Vet conference she's going to soon. I don't know if she's switched makers or not. This happened over The holidays while we were there, so we got first hand knowledge.

Are the vaccines being reformulated or something?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about what happened to Ringo. What vaccines did he receive prior to his death? I am asking because our friend who is a vet is strongly opposed to several of the routine vaccinations given to pets. He especially doesn't like the Lyme vaccines. I'll email him and see whether he has any ideas.

Leslie

G

·
My deepest, deepest sympathy on the loss of your Ringo.
It must be so difficult, especially when you are not sure what caused Ringo's death. It does sound like he had a reaction to one or two of the vaccines. Do you know what 3 he received? The live vaccines are made to stimulate an immune response and maybe Ringo had an overreaction to this. If his immune system was compromised in any way (illness or genetically), this could have contributed. I'm sure the vaccine maker is concerned and will probably want to check the lot of that vaccine for any possible problem.
This website might help you get a little closure for your precious Ringo. You can post his name and picture at the candle ceremony page and on Monday evenings the ceremony is held. http://www.rainbowbridge.com/

We all would love to see a picture of him, too. Please don't hesitate to post here when you need some comfort. Many of us have lost our pets recently or not so recently, we understand what you are going thru.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The vet's wife wrote back

Basically what we have been saying all along, some dogs do not tolerate a large challenge to their auto immune system. Part of why I do not like to give combination shots. Is there a genetic component, probably. Lower risks from less vaccine is always safer.
Not much help. I do wonder which vaccines he had. Such a shame to lose a family member so suddenly that way, though!

Leslie

G

·
Leslie's vet said:
Is there a genetic component?, probably
Linda wrote:
If his immune system was compromised in any way (illness or genetically), this could have contributed
Becasue of the slim possibility of a genetic issue (that probably would not have caused any problem without the vaccine challege) I would be extra careful in how the new puppy gets his vaccines. Even though it's unlikely he will have any problems, I would not do combination vaccines, and I would spread them out thru the year. And I would look into the necessity of annual boosters, some vets are saying it is not needed (except for Rabies because towns require it and the kennel cough because kennels require it).

Our children don't get annual boosters, why should our dogs need them once the initial series is done?

G

·
Leslie wrote:
...Not much help...
Leslie, actually your vet response is a BIG help.

I know that when there is a loss like this all professional opinions are welcomed because you are searching for what went wrong. And although you don't want it to be a mistake that someone made, that question or doubt is definitely there. The fact that your vet said the same thing that Ringo's vet did and the ER vet said and my research pointed to, leads me to think this was an unfortunate reaction to the vaccinations and not a medical error on the part of the vet or his staff and also not a poor response in the treatment of Ringo (because steroid treatment is the recommended protocol).

Nothing but time can heal the hurt of this loss, but it is easier to come to terms with it when you know everything was done properly, in my opinion.

Please don't let guilt cloud your grieving, Ringo's Dad. You did everything you could for Ringo, including trying to protect him from some really scary diseases, and he will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge. In the meantime he is up there playing with some really great dog friends.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts