Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want 2 know how u guys dicided 2 get ur Doodles and how its workin out. Me I researched good family dogs and we found a Labradoodle and saw a picture of 1 that looked so cute. so 1 day i was searchin through a news paper and saw Doodles with Shots and Papers already and that night we went 2 get her. She cried for her brother cuz she was the last gurl 2 get picked. Awww How sad :cry: But now wen i go spend the night at peoples houses she cries all night. Wen i get home she Pounces on me and i am short so she is as tall as me wen standing :shock: i luv my doodle and she takes care of my older bro who has autism. And wen my uncle died she helped me feel Happier. :wink: :cry: Luv u zoey We r so happy 2ghether

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hi Zoey Lover...It sounds like you have a wonderful, sweet doodle. Nothing like a doodle to boost your spirit when you have hard times.

It was my turn to choose the next dog that my husband and I would get...we take turns and our then dog was getting on in years. I wanted something similar to a Kerrie Blue Terrier that I had but with better disposition..not so aggressive. I thought about Portugese Water Dog and then I found "labradoodle on the web". That was it, I was hooked. They sounded like everything I wanted in a companion: sweetness, loyalty, kinda goofy, and very cuddly. And that is exactly what I have...a doodle mom here and loving it. :p :p

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Zoeylover...i am sooooo happy for you that you have a doodle and it helps your brother as well.

I always wanted a Labradoodle since hearing about them years ago as we have bad allergies and my son has asthma. BUT the price was too high.
Last OCT 7,2006 my fiance saw an ad for the Last doodle puppy left in a litter at a reasonable price in my own hometown. Needless to say we came hom with MAX later that day.

We got peanut in Feb 2007 to be a playmate for Max and i also was helping socialize my breeders goldendoodle puppies. So Peanut picked me out and the reast is history.

It can be a lot of work with 2 doodles but also twice the love laughter and kisses!! :D

for me Doodles are the best dog ever!!! and my teenagers swear i love Max and Peanut more than them hahahhahaaa my doodles are now my babies :wink: :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Zoey's a lucky little girl. My husband Marc wanted a dog for years and I kept saying "Absolutely Not!" I really wasn't a dog person, and the fact that we had a 13 year old cat was also a factor (I thought she would freak out).

But we went to my sister's house in Philadelphia for Christmas and we had so much fun. She has five teenagers whom I love a lot and everyone got along and it was very Christmas-sy and I was very happy when we drove back to Ohio on December 26th.

When I woke up on December 27th, Marc showed me a picture of a little black labradoodle from a reputable breeder not far from our home. I was still in such a great mood that I agreed to go see her that evening.

12 hours later we had Ebbe. I was a goner the minute I saw her and she licked my face.

And yes ... the cat did freak out and has yet to recover. :wink:

·
Registered
176 Posts
We got our first Doodle, Ike, as our 3rd puppy to raise for Guide Dogs of America. As we decided to be the Breeder Keepers of our black lab, Kohl, when he was selected as a stud for the program, we needed a dog we knew would be altered right away, as we would not be allowed to keep another unaltered dog with him intact (he is a marshmallow, by the way, not an agressive bone in his body). Ike came to live with us at 10 weeks. We had so much fun with him and were so proud when he went in for formal training in November 06. Right before Christmas, he decided guide work was not for him and we loved him for a week at home before sending him to Canine Support Teams, where he excelled in training (Ok, side note, this killed me to do as I knew I had signed a contract to give him back to GDA but sending him to CST was voluntary, but I knew he was SUPER and wanted to work) and is now working with a wonderful gal in San Diego county in a wheelchair, being used for stability, turning lights on/off, opening/closing doors and reteiving objects. Pepper came to us in August 06 as a 4month old. She had been in a few homes prior to us (Jac can fill you in) and we are so thrilled that we have had her in our lives to raise for service as well!!! She is a marvelous dog with a super personality, great obedience, fun-loving happy spirit!! I love her like no other (even though guide dog Cleat gave us a baby-whole nother story!)

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Hi Zoeyluver!
Last Thanksgiving we were at my brother-in-laws house in Virginia Beach, and my husband was scanning the classifieds for puppies...our beloved Charlie, a chocolate lab had to be put down a year previously, and our exsisting chocolate lab, 'Molly' was very lonely....so my husband saw a few ads for Labradoodles in North Carolina, right over the border from Virginia Beach...one ad was in Charlotte, which was a 6 hr. drive, and I didn't want to go, because we had already driven 9 hrs from Connecticut to Virginia the day before!! Anyway, I was shopping with my sister-in-law, when my cell phone rang, and lo-and-behold..there was a picture of the cutest little black doodle I ever saw....my husband had taken a 'ride' to go see this litter....I fell in love with him immdediately, and told my husband 'Bring him home'!!! and the rest is history!!!
Here's a picture of him when he was a baby....

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We first heard the name (silly name, I thought) Labradoodle when my husband's sister, Patti, visited. She said she wanted one, she told us about them being non allergenic. Well, since Dave, my husband, is severely allergic and has asthma, I started research.
I put $500 down on an Austrailian Multigen, knowing that the pup would cost $2500...Dave and I (foolish newbys then) thought we would just ask them to not spay her and we'd breed her to help other people with allergies (and recoup some of the money!) Okay, I hear the groan from all of you breeders! Yes, this is how I started my "lessons" in breeding! LOL
I asked the breeder, who immediately said, "Oh, breeding stock is $10,000!" Yikes!
I started researching alternatives. I learned about F1s, still too expensive for breeding dogs...and I had so much to learn about them.
I called a guide dog organization, said we wanted to donate puppies, did they know of any breeders who would not charge so much? They gave me the name of a breeder with certified breeding stock...we arranged to buy our first F1 Labradoodle for breeding! Then, Dave thought she would be lonely, so we asked the breeder if she would consider a good deal if we bought two! She said, yes, if you will donate one pup from your first litter to the guide dog organization.
So it goes...we started with our two girls, added a darling, sweet male Poodle...and on and on and on...
Now we have a housefull and my husband and I could not be happier. We have donated a total of 10 puppies for service dogs...and have made lots of families happy with the addition of a sweet doodle to their homes!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Years ago, when I was actually NOT looking for a dog, I was playing on the computer and come up with a dog selection quiz on yahoo pets. I answered all the questions and it "spit out" the best dog breeds for me. A silly breed, "Labradoodle," popped up. --Thinking it was a joke, I retook the quiz several times; Labradoodle kept popping up. I did some research and found that there was such a breed. I told my husband about it and we had a good laugh! But I never did forget it. When we lost our beloved Seazr, I began checking out the Labradoodle breed because my husband's one and only complaint about Seazr was his shedding.

We decided to visit some Labradoodle breeders. My husbands criteria was light colored and as "labbie" as possible. My criteria was it had to be a dog, preferably a male, but not necessarily--it just had to be a dog! My husband made me promise that we would not buy the first dog we saw, but rather look and compare. The first litter we saw had several dogs available but only one straight haired, light colored male. My husband held the pup up in the air and laughed because he was such a little fatty and his heart was thumping like crazy. I said, let's get him! My husband reminded me of my promise not to buy the first dog--plus he insisted on negotiating the price which the breeder wouldn't agree to. Next we looked at a lovely little girl. I said, let's get her. My husband said, I like her but let's look some more. We then went and looked at a tiny red female. Breeder's house was dirty and the pup smelled of urine.

We named the fat little heart-thumper Dakota and have never had a single regret!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I had moved back to Ohio from spending 25 years in Florida to take care of my mother after my dad died. I brought my best friend Peche (cocker spaniel) with me that I had gotten when he was 8 weeks old. He had the best personality, loving, knew my moods, never caused me any grief. When he started to really show his 15 years of age last year, I knew that between caring for my mom and all that, I would be devastated at his passing. I'd always wanted a Weimaraner, but decided that was a bit much for my 90yo 4'7" 87# mother. I had a friend who had a golden doodle and I fell in love. I researched on the web and found a picture of Jonah from a ohio breeder who had 4mo pups and 2 new litters and a bit overwhelmed. So I called and when I went to meet him...it was love at first sight!!

When my mother passed, Jonah was as upset as I was. He tore up his kennel, had severe separation anxiety and the good folks of this forum recommended a companion. I went to Petfinders.com , found Miko and once again, after a trip to WV.....love at first sight.

Wow...that was long winded! Guess whop had more than their share of coffee today?? :oops:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had been wanting a dog for several years, but had to wait for life circumstances to be better. As soon as I got a house, I started researching what my next dog would be. I needed something kind of non allergenic and was thinking of a small poodle, but my son wanted a big black dog and my partner thought small dogs were silly. So I lost the small dog vote. We also wanted a dog that was friendly, good natured and good with kids (because my daughter and her baby were living with me). When we learned about labradoodles, it seemed like one would fit everyone's criteria. We looked for about six months before we found one that was near us and affordable. The funny thing about the small dog thing, is that a year after we got Fred, my partner spent some time with his daughter and her small poodle and decided small dogs were not silly after all. When Fred was one, he came home with a tiny six pound puppy. She and Fred are the best of friends and he has always been amazingly gentle and has never hurt her, despite their 50 pound difference.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I have wanted a dog for years.
I grew up with them but hubby did not.
Hubby always had an excuse for why we should not get a dog.
We also have nine cats and he thought that I was nuts.( I am but so are most of you so I am in good company)
Anyway I researched Labradors and Golden Retrievers because
that is what I was first thinking. I had a Border Collie growing up
but they tend to herd and with nine cats well that just would not work.
While researching those dogs up came the name Labradoodle and after
a year of checking out Breeders i finally made up my mind and Denver
came into our lives, and hubby is enjoying his first dog
and the cats have adjusted to their new brother.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My husband and I decided a few months ago that we were ready for a dog. I, like AnnieG, was looking toward a Portuguese Water Dog, as a good friend of mine has had them for 20 years and also breeds them.

My husband's friend mentioned that his squash coach has a "Labradoodle", (I thought "WTH??" :shock: ) and started researching the breed. This was the dog for us.

In the course of my research, I came upon this forum, read through a lot of the threads, and joined. I loved the tone and banter, as well as the amazing helpfulness of everyone here. I found Diane, looked at her site, and fell in love with a photo of "Navy Collar Male". The gods smiled upon me, and now I have Dexter. He brings joy to my life every day. He's a wonderful soul.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had been bugging my husband for a dog for 10 years - ever since the day we got married! We hit a slight bump in our marriage last year and the end result was Boyd! I researched all types of dogs and it kept coming back to the Labradoodle. I selected Nan at Doodlesville as my breeder and the rest is history. Boyd has brought so much love and joy to our lives and our marriage is stronger than ever!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
My husband has allergies so we knew many breeds were out. Our friend had an airedale terrier and we fell in love with him. However none of the airedale/welsh breeders wanted to consider giving us a puppy since we had no experience with dogs.

We went to St Louis on vacation and stopped at Starbucks. We saw the cutest dog walking by and I ran out to ask the owner what kind of dog he was. She told me about her labradoodle and how great he is. We did some research when we got home and found a litter available in Delaware. We fell in love with the little cream one...

·
Registered
101 Posts
My birthday was drawing near and I had been considering getting myself a dog, especially since our first dog was/is getting up there in age. I woke up one morning and heard my mom and sister talking downstairs about getting me a dog- They must have read my mind! :shock: We immedeately started contimplating different breeds and were going to get another vizsla, except that well, as great as Baron is he's not my type of dog. Then we thought about a pound puppy but soon remembered my youth group leader's new puppy- a black labradoodle! :D He was the sweetest thing on four feet soooo..My sister and I started hunting for labradoodle breeders nearby, looking up more about the breed and such.. that night i was driving home with my new labradoodle puppy! We rushed into it which technically is not good.. but luckily we got the best puppy and the best companion. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had been researching goldendoodles for about six months. I was looking for a puppy that would also be a good companion for our golden retreiver, Chloe. She has a great personality and I loved golden retrievers but I did not want all that shedding. When I was researching the goldendoodles I also came across a lot of information about labradoodles too. When I came across a listing for labradoodles about 70 miles from me I looked into it. There were two cream F1 females listed, one with a black nose and one with a brown nose. I called and inquired about the black nose puppy. The breeder was Linda Layman at 4 Paws Puppies. I called back later in the day after considering it to get the black nose puppy and found out that it had been taken, so I thought I would keep looking, but Linda talked about how cute the brown nose one was that I decided to go the next morning and take a look. It was love at first sight. Murphy was a goofy/gorgeous puppy. Linda was great, she answered all questions and gave me lots of good information. We got into my truck for the ride home and Murphy didn't really care for the truck ride, but she settled down in my lap (after peeing on me first) and slept the rest of the way home. I brought her home in March 06 and she was one last December. She has a shaggy/wirey coat and does shed just a little. Her parents were Gracie and Johnson (his picture was just on a recent thread)
We have gone to obedience school and are thinking about agility classes. She has been great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For what ever reason I felt something was missing in my life. I decided maybe I needed a dog. My sister-in-law and I responded to an ad in the paper for F1's. Well it just didn't feel right, I told my sister-in-law, I guess I'm just crazy. But the feeling wouldn't leave me. I found Tucker on the internet and I feel in love. And believe it or not he was only 1 hour away. Me husband finally said you really want this dog don't you? So he went with me and I was bound and determined to hold every pup in the litter. The breeder were first time breeders and just lovely people. Tucker was the only pup who kissed and snuggled both my husband and myself.Of course the $ was still an issue and out of the blue they asked if we would like to make monthly payments. What a blessing. You'll never guess that at this minute I just heard my husband say "Tucker I didn't know how much I'd love you" Ok I am having a moment :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I love the stories keep them coming

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
It's funny how i thought i was wining the war on being a NO MORE DOGS person with 1001 reason why i would NOT have another dog. allergies and asthma the top of the list and thne poop duty, housetraining, stuff chewed, training, nipping and so on. and I AIN'T WALKING NO DOG IN 10below zero weather ever again. YEAH RIGHT.

when we got max i said to DAVE i don't want an older puppy, NO black ones, and NO straight haired doodles either.... Max was 13 weeks old, blacker than night, looked labby with straight hair and a crooked tail that was stumpy as if it had been cropped. hahhahahahaa I love BLACK doodles!! especially my max

Peanut was the ONE puppy i did NOT want to bring home when i was helping socialize her litter. Peanut was TOO active, too exlporatory, i did my best NOT to pick her up and ignore her :roll:and she wasn't red, i wanted red not cream hahahhaa anyway she picked me from day 1 and never let up ....i was taking her home whether i wanted to or not hahhahahahaaa She to this day is a handful at times, my 1st female dog ever and Max's best friend and half sibling.

and Max and Peanut filled a void i didn't know existed. it's great to see my teenage boys sweet talk, hug them, kiss them and just plain ole love them. I feel like i have a parade following me daily dogs, son, and Dave hahahhaaa

1 - 20 of 28 Posts