Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so there is a sweet looking 3 month old Golden Retriever pup at the local shelter.
Boone is going to be 5 months old on the 29th, is house trained and basically turning into a great dog.
Boyfriend wants to adopt Golden pup.
Can we handle this?
Is it insane to even entertain the idea?
Lemme know what you think...I'd love to rescue him, but don't want to go crazy.

I should also ask...how do the labradoodles do with company? will two males be alright together? will they still bond with us and not only each other? They will of couse be neutered.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd like some quick responses if possible (sorry for being pushy) I've got about 2 hours to decide!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Tina, I think they will LOVE each other. They made not need you as much as they would individually, but I think you'll still get more than enough love. It is a little crazy....but Toby is 6 months and I would really like for him to have a playmate- hubby not sold. Go get that baby :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
How could you resist! He's very sad and want's a home. Doodles get along with everyone and everything and Goldens do as well I think. More than likely your doodle will be the alfa but it won't take long and they will be best buds and you'll never seperate them. If it's something you had thought about and as long as you have the time, space and can afford a little more expense then you found him for a reason.

Let everyone know what you do.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Short time frame cuz I finish work at 4 and would go right to the shelter.
Boone plays really nice with other dogs so I think they would be ok.

Anybody else that has had two males pups at the same time with advice, yay or nay?

Yes we will go see him after I'm done work, fill the papers out then go grab Boone for an introduction before finalizing everything to see how they get along.
I will update and let everybody know what happens.

I'd still like some advice from other multiple pup owners!

·
Registered
377 Posts
My experience - two males this young do fine as a rule. I don't think that will be an issue. (because of the ages) I do think Boone will be alpha, but their sizes will be close enough and temperments should be close enough to make it work. Has Boone every had any company at your place? Was he really jealous? Good luck. I think you and boyfriend really already know what you're gonna do. :lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Boone has doggy visitors at our place....they mostly run laps around the house together, Boone doesn't get aggressive or territorial at all.
I don't think he has a nasty bone in his body! I take his snacks, and his food outta his bowl all the time and he just sits down, and looks at me like,
"Ok, but I'm still hungry so would you mind putting that back pretty please?"

Yeah they are both young and will of course be neutered when the time comes. Boone in about 3 weeks, and that little guy in about 2 months, if we get him.

Where the heck is Jac?!?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I take Hank ( 7 months) to a local dogpark and his two best friend are male golden retrievers . They play and play even when there are 10 other dogs in the park. They both have very good demeanors and wrestle without a single yeap , they know how to play nice. So I would say your Labradoole and the cute retriever would get along great . Good Luck with your decision ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2 1/2 year old male, 6 month old male and 5 month old male. You can guess who the "Boss" is but when they play (and they do) it is wonderfull. (as long as you are not in the way :shock: ) They have had their moments but have all settled into their rightfull place in the house and I would not have it any other way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holy Moly DoodleTaxi!! Do you are in the same boat I would be...that's comforting for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did he go to the shelter looking or was it on the news or paper? I have to stay away from the shelter. I'm weak and can not afford a bigger house...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I look online at the shelter almost daily, just looking at dogs and whatnot for friends and things like that. I saw Toby and sent the link to my bf and he went nuts!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have just always believed everyone needs a companion to grow up with and grow old with. True it is twice the trouble but it's also twice the love. Now all you need is a name for Boone's new brother. OH Yea, Toby Right!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the name he has on the site "Toby" but I may go with Shannon. I know it's usually seen as a girls name, but I've heard of it for guys too, and Boone's sister on the show we got the name from is called Shannon. We'll see, if we bring him home.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh Tina! Go for it! If you and boyfriend are on the same page about it and obviously you know what it is like to raise puppies, you can do it! Of course you are crazy, but is a sane life really worth living? I'll go for the havoc, it is much more interesting! Good Luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think we just might give it a go!
We will of course take them to training classes seperately, and walks seperately for the first while, so we get the training down pat.
Oh my!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Tina
Sounds like you are really excited about this pup and I wish you best of luck. Not trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm - but just a reminder - golden's do SHED! We had a golden visiting here for the weekend and I had to vacuum the whole house! Makes me appreciate my little non-shedder all that much more. But of course that is just a minor inconvenience that most dog owners deal with all of the time (cat owners too).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Jannie!

Shhhh, don't tell anybody, but Boones a shedder! BIG TIME. We don't mind tho, just lots of sticky rollers around the house hahah.

I'm so torn about what to do....I don't want Boone to feel neglected at all.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I know a few friends who have 2 dogs and think it's great. For myself, I wouldn't, not right now anyway. Simply because we are still training Sadie and she takes lots of time and energy - not sure if I'd have enough for another dog at this point. But it sounds like you do - and I'm sure Boone would love a full time playmate - I know Sadie would.

Best of luck with your decision!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts