Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yall :D

Wondering what you all do when they decide the coffee table is perfect for chewing on?? What is safe to wipe on the table so they dont chew it again? (I was thinking something like chilli powder, so they get a bit of a shock and not do it - not that I would use chilli powder unless it was ok, KWIM!)

My Yoshi has taken a liking to the corner of our coffee table and he is sooo bloody cheeky! He looks at us when we do it, we correct him by removing him and using our "tskk" noise (Our correction noise) but he thinks its great fun. He has a heap of chewing toys including rope, rubber and Kongs, but you know - hes allowed those so of course hes not going to chew on them :lol:

So what did you do??

Also - does your dogs have an underwear obbession :oops: My mother in law is staying with us and she keeps finding my underwear and giving it back to me! lol

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Also - does your dogs have an underwear obbession My mother in law is staying with us and she keeps finding my underwear and giving it back to me! lol
hahaha...your post gave me such a good laugh. Yes they are quite obsessed with socks and underwear...at least my doodle Dexter is...and he's 1.5 yrs old :shock:

About the chewing...we used bitter apple. Dexter chewed once on the side of our bookcase and one time of getting a taste of bitter apple was enough to get him to stop.

Hmmm...I wonder if bitter apple on the underwear would work?

·
Registered
100 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
Hmmm...I wonder if bitter apple on the underwear would work?
I almost almost willing to try this as this is a major problem at our house - which just gets worse with my kids taking them away from Shadow and then hiding them all over the house.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
to-date the best method to catch them, say no and hand them their chew toy/bone

or recreate the scene , i sometime sat with abook or put tv on and waited to do the NO ...hand them toy and then tell them they're good.

to-date it works 95% of time.
i only have one rug with a 3 by 6in chewing hole in the middle of it :roll: along with one vacuum attachement now in the garbage
and two pairs of basketball slippers

with 3 doodles........i can safely safe we're at minimal damage so far.

remember: a tired doodle is a good doodle
and
a QUIET doodle is UP TO NO GOOD :wink:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
What I did was to wrap bubble wrap around my table legs tapping them with clear duct tape, then I put bitter apple on them several times a week. Worked for me, that and made sure he had lots of alternative appropriate things to chew.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky was not stopped by bitter apple. I also tried Hartz Natural Chew Prevention Aid. That didn't work either! But eventually Nicky got his big teeth and stopped chewing everything in sight.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao will chew only if here toys aren't around. Just keep the doggy toys out and when you see Nicky get ready to chew hand him a toy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bitter yuk had limited success. The best thing I've found is tabasco sauce. I only have to open the bottle and Sam gets a smell of it and goes mad! One lick and he never goes back. Only problem is that he finds another spot to knaw on. Also watch out for the sneaky chewing. One evening, Sam was quietly (I thought) lying at my feet and I thought he was quietly chewing on his chew toy. All of a sudden, I found tuffs of carpet flying up. He did it so subtly that I was actually quite amused by his ingenuity. :twisted: :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Ya'll

I've been really going through the teething "phase". My Puppy "Truman" is 13 weeks old. He is great and we love him but my son is 2 years old and Truman thinks that not only is everything in or attached to the house his chew toy but my son Alexander as well. My son loves him but gets scared when Truman nibbles on him. Truman doesn't "bite" just puppy nibbles. I've read the other post about sour apple etc but I don't think I can coat my house and son in sour apple. Am I relegated to just saying NO, NO, NO, NO, NO :p

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
None of the so called deterrents worked in our house. I just learned how to fix furniture.

Cinnamon would lick the Bitter Apple, Bitter yuck didn't do anything. I didn't try the Tabasco sauce, I was afraid she'd like that too.

Cin didn't have an underwear obsession, but she loved shoes and slippers. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
KevinS said:
Hi Ya'll

I've read the other post about sour apple etc but I don't think I can coat my house and son in sour apple.

WHY NOT...LOL

Am I relegated to just saying NO, NO, NO, NO, NO :p
NO

Get some bully sticks or other attractive chew objects to replace the others (and your son) with! Instead of wearing out the word 'no' try using sounds ie:hissing.shushing,EH!,UH OH, Uh Uh and the like.
Replace any inappropriate chew toy or child with what you allow the dog to chew on. Remember dogs don't have hands! The use their mouths for everything so be patient and do not instigate rough housing till the pup is a little older...Hope this helps

:wink:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think Jofi is beginning to teeth - the last week her behaviour has changed a bit. At times (mostly in the evening) she will become really skittish - running/jumping all over the place, then biting on things that she shouldn't. She seems quite agitated when she's like this and can be very nippy towards us too. Yesterday I froze some banana into her puppy kong (just put it in the freezer for a while) and this worked a treat. It seemed to sooth her gums and she soon settled down. It's not nice to see her uncomfortable.

She's also becoming more nippy when she's playing with other dogs - latching onto ears and loose skin of other dogs - mostly the other dog will do the same back so she learns her lesson but with smaller dogs it's quite embarrassing. She had a rather awkward encounter with a Sher Pei - the owner wasn't too pleased at the way Jofi latched onto the dog's wrinkles (I don't think she bit hard, just mouthed as she does with socks).

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i just had a flashback and remember when my kids were teething
2 were in carseats and one in a booster seat
one day i realized the vinyl along the backseat windows had tiny holes in them..............YUP my kids teethmarks while i drove they teethed :shock:

sooooooooo it too shall pass, i try to make sure i have eyeballs in the back of my head, and keep chew toys handy
as in past one wool rug, 2 sets of basketball slippers, one bluetooth, and a set of headphones is the major damage to-date from 3 doodles

BEAU has a new job: he's my mailman and delivers the mail to me AFTER he checks for junk mail

·
Registered
83 Posts
Libby is 4 months old today! At what age will she start to lose her baby teeth? And also, a little off topic, but what age does she lose her puppy fur?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts