Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you got your doodle to Bark when they need to go out? I have been thinking of getting Cacao to do that. But I am not sure if it is a good idea.

My reasoning is if I have her Bark she needs to go out I can be upstairs doing something and now she needs to be let out. What do you think? And if your doodle does it how did you get them to do it? Help, please.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Your dog will start showing you signals for when she needs to go potty. Dexter whines and Kirby comes and sits next to us staring intently with his tail wagging (if we miss this he starts barking). If you want to train her to do something, I would suggest teaching her how to ring a bell. If you do a search on the forum I think others have done this.

My feeling is that she may start to associate barking with getting to go outside and she'll just start barking to go out to play (and not go potty). We still take Dex out on a leash 90% of the time because he'll try to sneak in a whine just to go play and not to pee :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hmmm, Never heard of having them bark... R
Ringing a bell on the door I have heard of but not barking...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cacao just looks at me with that I HAVE TO PEE NOW look. And that means I have about 3 min. to get her out.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I agree with the bell or buzzer either way it's simple target training. You can do an internet search on you tube for video demo's. There are times I'd like my dog to bark but going out is not one of them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
sdrudge said:
Cacao just looks at me with that I HAVE TO PEE NOW look. And that means I have about 3 min. to get her out.
Lucas does not bark much at all, so we were the same when we started to potty train... we had a couple minutes to see him wait by the door and then it was too late... so we got a poochie bell, just hangs on the door that leads to potty, and when you take her out to go potty, deliberately ring the bell before you open the door... Lucas figured in out in 2 days... we were surprised how easy it was...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will look for one of those bells. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree with Leslie....each dog will come up with her own signal when she needs to go. Uma sits as pretty as she can and does this weird neck-bob. It's adorable and she always gets to go right out when she does it.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver goes and sits by the back door when he needs to pee.
If we do not see him he comes to where we are and puts his head under your arm and flips it, and then we know to let him out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
shaia goes and sits in front of the door if she needs to go out, or if we miss this, she'll make a noise, which is rare - she is very silent!! but lately, shes also been sprawling out in front of the door when she doesn't have to go. it confuses me at times since i don't know when she's napping or needs to pee. i think she did it for a while b/c it meant she got a walk (since we have no yard), but then we'd go out and she wouldn't poop :x
but to make up for it, she does pee on command :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Rumor does a bark and whiny dance when he has to go out. Unfortunately, he does the same bark and whiny dance when he wants what Jonah or Miko have.... I let them out anyway to be on the safe side! :wink:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sampson goes to the back door and just hangs out there. If he isn't being let out after a while, he'll lie down until we notice. If that doesn't work, he paces near us and then goes back to the door.

When you ask if he has to go, he spins in cirles and gets excited. Unfortunately, sometimes he just wants an excuse to go out so he can play!

·
Registered
593 Posts
We now have a Taboo buzzer taped to the floor by the back door.
Everytime we go to take Sam out, we put his paw on the buzzer and then say "Out" or "Pee-Pee" and then open the door and go...

Are we going about this right?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max does a whining and shrill short bark then paws me when he has to go potty

Beau and Peanut nudge me with their noses and/or try to jump on my legs

another sign is lots of panting while sitting and staring at me

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Everytime we go to take Sam out, we put his paw on the buzzer and then say "Out" or "Pee-Pee" and then open the door and go...

that sounds reasonable to me. I would keep saying the same word (maybe out so he doesn't think pee pee means going outside?)...I would also praise him when he goes. Maybe take him out on a leash so he gets right to business and doesn't just go play.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok i went and ordered the bell thing. I like that she sits there. But I am not always right there so maybe the bell will work. I will try anything at this point. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
593 Posts
lmtoth2 said:

that sounds reasonable to me. I would keep saying the same word (maybe out so he doesn't think pee pee means going outside?)...I would also praise him when he goes. Maybe take him out on a leash so he gets right to business and doesn't just go play.
Out to him is sometimes the word for playing outside so we should stick with "Pee-pee" then? Yeah, the leash is a good idea, he likes to play around when he goes out...

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Out to him is sometimes the word for playing outside so we should stick with "Pee-pee" then? Yeah, the leash is a good idea, he likes to play around when he goes out...
yeah why not. As long as you are consistent I bet he'll get the point :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
If hes not too wound up to hear the buzzer.
But we always wait for him to calm down before he can go out.

We really hope this works because he gives us no audible sound when he needs to go. He doesn't give much of a visible sigh other than sitting by the door and he's had a few accidents more recently...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts