Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, what a great forum. I am a long time dog lover who has also trained greyhounds off the track for home living. So I am quite frustrated with my Doodle Tater Tot, 4 months old. He is a love but will not :x jump into my SUV. He sits down as to say "I'm not going". He travels with me to work everyday and everyweekend 3 hours to the cabin. He is good in the truck, even between two busy kids.

I have tried the treat thing, I have tried to teach him, like walking up the stairs. He is going on 45 lbs and I need some help. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome to the forum :) I don't know that I can help with your problem since I have the same problem with my Mikko. I know that I am Mikko's problem, he has me snowballed. He's sooooo spoiled rotten and if he knows he can have me do it instead of him having to do it, he will :!: The reason I know he has me snowballed is because on a trip to the vets one day (he loves going to the vet), we left the house (and he knows when I grab my keys and wallet that we are going for a ride) and he runs straight to the car door and sits there waiting for me, I open the door as always and tell him to "load up", he sits there and looks at me like "you can lift me in" and I say "no, load up" and this goes on for about 5 minutes and, guess what?, Mikko wins, I put his front legs on the seat and lift his rump up and close the door, Mikko smiles. We get to the vets and he is happy to get out and runs to the door to see Dr. Julia. We visit for whatever reason we were there for and we leave and I opened the back door of the car and before I could even say anything or even think, Mikko dives into the car and I'm standing there like "you little devil", he sits and looks at me like "oops, I messed up". So, I know he can do it but he will still sit there with those eyes and wait for me to lift his front legs in and give him a boost. Now, who's training who here? :roll:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahaha...I love the name Tater Tot...and I love the story that Diane gave us about Mikko! :lol: You are right, Di...Mikko has you trained well!

I laugh at this because Chase, my Poodle, was so hard to train to jump into the car...worse yet, he would get half way onto the bed and fall to sleep with his hind legs still on the floor! It took him forever to realize that he could jump...but he finally did learn.

He used to put the upper half of his body in the car, but I had to lift his lower half in...and this guy is tall! And he weighed 65 lbs!

The thing I find amazing is that he is the most beautiful and graceful creature on earth when he actually does jump. He can clear a gate or fence with ease and he almost looks like a dancer...but until he learned how, he was a lump of dead weight.

Don't worry, Tater Tot will learn too...as long as Diane isn't around! :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies, I am guilty of spoiling. I should of tackled it earlier. He was too small when I got him so I simply helped him. They are smart little buggers. He is a great "shop/office dog". Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts