Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is long but it’s hard to leave anything out . . .

We took Dakota to a local elementary school last night to chase balls. There were a group of people with three other dogs and they all had a nice little romp. :) On the way out, we always let him play on the slide for awhile. This slide happens to be two sided and that’s when the trouble began. Two little boys ran up the steps to slide down the other side and you could just see it in Dakota’s expression—“PLAYMATES!!” :D Well, this worked for a couple of minutes until the little boys decided to run back to their group of friends—with Doodle in hot pursuit of course. Suddenly, not only did Dakota forget his name, he completely forgot that he knew us at all! :evil: Kids seemed to come out of the woodwork. :shock: They were from one end of the schoolyard to the other, and so was Dakota! This has never happened before. In the past, if he was headed to parts unknown, all I had to do was call his name, turn my back and walk the other way and he would follow ME. Well, the story gets better. There was a group of boys shooting baskets. Dakota has a basketball and you could almost see his little mind click :idea: “Oh THAT’S what that ball is for!” Well, you probably guessed it—he decided to try out for the team! He put himself front and center—in fact he was all over the court--and did spectacular jumps to try to bounce the ball with his front paws! I hollered for the boys to please help me “capture” the dog. All but one ignored me—they were in the middle of their game and didn’t seem to mind their new team mate. The one boy that stepped-up to the task, choose to try to chase Dakota down. :roll: Sheesh, good luck with that! So then the game became “catch me if you can!” Off Dakota ran to the middle of the schoolyard to visit a Springer pup that was on leash. The pup’s people made and effort to catch Dakota, but the game was in full play. Next came the dangerous part. A group of young boys got on their bikes to head home which meant leaving the schoolyard and going into the residential area. Dakota, of course, became a part of the “bike pack” and ran along side the boys—dangerous for boys and dog alike (he wasn’t “chasing” the bikes; he wanted to be a part of the group.) Thankfully, the Springer’s daddy yelled to the boys NOT to open the gate until we got the dog. And finally, at long, long last, I grabbed Dakota’s collar.

I don’t know how to solve this type of situation. He’s been through advanced training and will begin clicker training tomorrow. He is, as Doodles are, very smart so that’s not the issue. I believe he has taken over as pack leader and my husband and I need to seriously modify our behavior. I also think I’ve been lax on walking him so we will begin regular walks tonight. And maybe it’s also a matter of more growing up to do--time will tell . . . what a night!

Diane (and a very bad Dakota)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Oh wow, what a night, indeed! It sounds pretty comical, but, I know we need to be able to have our dogs come to us in all situations. I know Doc would not come in that situation either. Every time I go to the dog park, I tell myself that I have to bring cheese next time and practice having him come. I hope I remember next time. :?

G

·
I can just picture it - if it's worth anything my Boyd would act the same way. I know that's not acceptable but our doodles just love people and other dogs!! Good thing they are so cute and loveable!!

G

·
I read a great dog article today and the most outstanding line came from a vet who said:
"Dogs should be members of the family. The first year of adjustment can be rough with any dog, but with responsible care and training, the rest is wonderful."
I was never warned about "1st year adjustment" with a dog, but I think every new owner should be. And with Doodles, the puppy phase lasts a little longer I think!
I think Dakota acted the way ALL our Doodle puppies would have acted. Oh my, could you imagine that? All our Doodles there with Dakota last night? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Diane ... i was laughing but then felt the fear you did the end
BUT Dakota wasn't bad :shock: HE was just being himself, a DOODLE!!! :wink: :roll:

Have you tried putting a squeaker in your pocket? I know Max comes running when I put it in my mouth and use it!! hahahaa You can also use your hand to squeak the squeaker. Just a thought as doodles LOVE squeaker

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I use an electric collar. I lost a dog to a street once (hit by a car) I am a freak about my dogs now. I have one electric collar and it rotates depending on who needs a little reinforcement. I can't even remember the last time I used the electric part and probably only needed it once or twice per dog. I call it the beep collar and it has been a lifesaver many times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts