Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Tanner went to daycare for the last half of the day. He had eaten some of his kibble at breakfast but when I came home at lunch to get him he didn't want to eat or drink anything. I didn't think much about it. He comes home from daycare and crashes..again I didn't think much of it, figured he just played extra hard.

We fix dinner and eat and he still is not interested in food, just wants to sleep. This is where I should have known something was wrong.

We go to bed and he still hasn't eaten or drank any water. He wakes up in the middle of the night. Tim takes him out and he pees. Another hour later and he goes out again..this time he poops. Now he won't go back to sleep. He is stressed, kind of going from room to room, winning but with his squeeky football in his mouth. Tim says he just wants to play...I say I don't think so. Anyway, he settles on our bed for a couple more hours then he is up again...goes pee. I get up and I can smell that something is wrong with him...he just smells sick. I am worried that he has bloat. I decide to take him to a new vet, at a vet hospital where they have all the newest equipment and tests can be done there. They agree to work me in for $15...much less than the emergency vet. Vet checks him over....he has a slight fever, is listless, lethargic and he kept stretching out his back legs. Vet says that stretching indicates an intestinal problem. They take him back and xray him.....he is full of gas.....some of it he gave to the vet techs when they xrayed him. Vet said he must have either eaten something that didn't agree with him or else he picked up a bug. They put him on Flagyl.Vet said to expect some explosive diarrhea later...and sure enough it happened. An hour later he did drink some water and ate a bit of chicken. Tim came home from work to stay the afternoon with him.

What I learned is that when our dogs do something unusual for them...in this case, not eating, not drinking and not staying asleep the whole night there is something wrong. I also learned what that continual stretching of the back legs is for..he is in intestinal distress.

So, $200 later, I am relieved and glad I went with my gut instinct.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awwwwh!! poor Tanner! I'm glad it's nothing too serious. When you were describing his symptoms I was afraid the ending was going to be he ate something he shouldn't have (Dex had very similar symptoms w/the tennis ball incident). Get better soon!!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really thought it was bloat...he had all the symptoms and was vomiting clear stuff...

These dogs are worse than kids...the vet did say he loves doodles though :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
OMG I'm so glad it wasnt anything more serious - how scary. I hope Tanner is feeling better real soon
How are you doing - I'd be a wreck

Annabelle sends smoochies

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Glad he's okay sounds like a rough night!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Oh, Annie, how scary for you and Tim! Thank goodness he is alright, and that you did trust your instincts with Tanner! I was afraid he had pulled a Dexter too, and had gotten into something you weren't aware of! Hope the poor boy is ok now, and that you ALL have a better night tonight!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhhhh (((((((annie and tanner and tim too)))))))))))))))

i am so glad you listened to you gut!!! as most times it's right and also glad to hear Tanner will be okay (no surgery etc).

Give tanner a big hug and kiss from all of us!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He is still in distress...won't eat anything at all but will drink water. I guess I will see how he is in the AM...if he still won't eat we will be going back to vet for blood work :cry:

G

·
Hi Annie:

Maya had the same thing a couple of weeks ago when I picked her up from daycare. She was extra tired...my BF fed her her dinner (I wasn't home yet) he said she ate it all but I could just tell something was off. She woke me up a few times to go potty during the night and then that morning had explosive diarreha. Maya has liquid butt a lot so I wan't too worried until I gave her her breakfast...she wouldn't eat it even when I put pumpkin on it. Right there and then I knew somethign was wrong. We called the vet and went in. My vet said the same thing...she was full of gas and gave her some anti-diarreha meds and Flagyl. I didn't end up giving her the Flagyl cause she bounced back the next day. I don't like giving meds unless its necessary.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Poor Tanner! I opened this thread this morning, hoping to hear that he was all better! :cry: Tyke and I are sending love and hugs from South Carolina - and for you and Tim too!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Is Tanner any better? Trust me, I know the worry waiting through the night with these things! Hope he is better today!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all your concern and good wishes...it means so much.

Tanner is rallying...slowly. I can't believe how sick he was. He has eaten a few bites of chicken and is drinking water. He still is runny but at least the stretching and trying to release the gas has stopped.

I found the xrays to be very interesting The vet showed me all the gas bubbles that he had from in his stomach, intestines and colon. You could see why he was so miserable.

again...thanks..you are the best

:wink: :wink:

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm glad to hear Tanner is slowly recovering. Do you think he got gassy from daycare? Maybe all the running around?

Hugs from Lora and Boyd.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts