Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken their doodle to the beach? We're planning to take 5 month old Bigsby to the beach with us this summer for a week. Is there anything I should be aware of? He's a good "crate" dog and car rider so that will make the trip down there easier.

I'm sure he'll be wet a lot - and sandy. Is matting of his fur likely to be a problem? He's never been trimmed before (other than paws, rear, and around his eyes) but his groomer thinks we should trim his fur all over to avoid it getting matted.

Is there anything harmful about playing in salt water? What if he drinks it?

Also, we will have 2 other relative's dogs staying in the same house (along with 17 people) so it's likely to be chaos (another good reason for the crate). Any advice on how to make sure the dogs get along?

We're excited about taking him and think it will be fun - we want him to be part of the family, after all - but, I admit, I'm a little anxious.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We took Dexter to the beach for a week over memorial day. We did have his hair cut down short so I don't know what his coat would have been like - when we got back from the beach we just hosed him off and that worked fine. If I were you I would consider a shorter hair cut - Dexter dried so quickly w/his short cut and then we didn't have a wet dog for so long.

Now he was 10 months old when we took him, but it all worked out very well. We went with 3 others (but no other dogs). Dexter had a lot of fun in the ocean. He tried to drink it a few times, but not excessively. I would just bring fresh water down to the beach with you (we had a portable dog bowl/water bottle). We would bring Dex to the beach more in the morning and evening. He got tired so quickly playing in the water.

Has Bigsby had a lot of experience playing with other dogs? If not I would try to bring him to a dog park prior to the trip so he gets some experience.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
We are lucky that we live near a few beaches
so Denver goes all the time.
He used to try and drink from the ocean but not as much
now. We too always have fresh drinking water for him.
He mostly meets other dogs that are there or we bring a dog that
he knows. I would have a playdate with the dogs that are also going
on the trip beforehand so they all get to know each other first.
As the post before sais he will be so tired from water play that I
do not think you will have any trouble putting him to bed. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice! I think having fresh water available is a good idea. I don't think that dogs are allowed on the beach between 10am and 4pm anyway so we definitely will only be out early and late! I don't want his paws to get burned on the hot sand so avoiding the middle of the day is probably wise.

He is familiar with one of the dogs coming - a gentle, large Bernese mountain dog who will put up with anything. The other dog is an older poodle - I'm not sure she will be quite so tolerant. But we'll be in a duplex so there will be a way to separate anyone who's not "happy."

And I do think we'll get him trimmed before going. I LOVE his shaggy look - but it'll grow back. And it certainly sounds like it would be easier.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Have never taken Coco to any body of water....definitely take the fresh water....and maybe a damp towel in a trash bag to rub down with....you could get lots of sand off feet and belly before getting back in the car....or are you in a place literally on the beach? Also, I would get the hair cut, but be sure not too short....to protect from sunburn.....and inch or an inch and a half should be ok....from what I have heard.

Have fun! and take pictures and then post some!!

8)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
hmmmm. Maybe just a dry towel would be better to rub the dry sand off....a wet one may not be as efficient. Not sure....

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
wish i could help but I only have a large creek and a pool here. I do know i hose down Max and Peanut afterwards, then towel dry them and always have fresh water for them.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Dry towels work best for us especially if you can let the sandy critter dry a little first. We take Chouette to the lake, where the sand is a lot coarser than on our NJ beaches, and it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Beach sand would be more of a hassle if it's fine. That seems to stick to everything!

·
Registered
66 Posts
We also live right by the beach, so we go often, and we make frequent trips up to the lake, too. Hector likes the lake better because he has free reign there. At our local beaches the dogs have to stay on a leash. I haven't clipped him yet, and I really don't want to, and so far, his coat has been easy to manage, but he has the sort of wookie, medium wavy look, not long luscious curls like some of your guys have. They would be more diffucult, I'm sure! At either place, plenty of fresh water to drink, a good hose down, and once dry, a good brushing out of the left over sand has worked for us! You especially want to hose well after the beach, because salt water will dry the skin out and make them itchy if you leave it on!
Jenny

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I THINK I have figured out how to give a link to a couple of pictures of Bigsby so you can see his coat. (I don't know how to put the picture itself in the message - can someone help me do that?) So far it's not ultra curly (except on his legs) but it is quite wavy. I don't know if it's prone to matting or not - so far, no problems. If I get him trimmed for the beach, I'll post another pic.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... G_0752.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... G_0577.jpg

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sue,

I have been sitting on here trying to do just what you did.....thinking I knew how. But I couldn't get it to work....Any Instructions??
Thanks,

what a doll baby Bigsby is!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
THIS IS JUST A TEST!!!!

Thanks, Sue!! I think I did it!! Here is Bigsby again!!

Leslie, I don't know what I am saying!!!
Wet/Dry??/Get the sand off before getting back in the car is all I'm saying.....I think that's what I am saying!!!
:roll: :shock: :roll: :p

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I can't tell if Jonah's dirty til I pet him, then if I brush him....dirt is gone! Miko is another story, her beard gets dirty and the poor girl won't clean by brushing alone.....bath time!! :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, so what is the secret for posting the pic directly in the message? At least I figured out the photobucket link - I was pretty proud of that.

Thanks for the comments about Bigsby. I knew very little about labradoodles when we got him. Our last dog was a precious yellow lab who I loved with all my heart but I knew we couldn't handle another dog as big as he was. So, the thought of getting a "part lab" was very appealing to me when I learned they could be bred to a smaller poodle (less shedding- hooray). So, Bigsby is an F1B with a minature red poodle as the father (blond F1 as the mother). He was about 20 lbs. at 18 wks. so hopefully he won't get to be over about 40 lbs. which I think would be perfect.

So far, he seems the typical Doodle, based on the comments I have read on this forum - high energy, loves water, very inquisitive, extremely smart, easily finds trouble, has at least one "psycho puppy" episode a day and is absolutely adorable!

LOVE the pic of Dakota!! How funny.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Ok, in your photo bucket, under the pictures, there are three links. Left click on the bottom one, go to your post, right click and paste and TADA....picture!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts