Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the board. I have a 1 year old labradoodle. How do I stop Ginger from stealing food out of my five year old daughter's hand.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Can you daughter sit at the table and eat? That's the only solution I know of. A dog would have to be very well trained not to want food waving in front of his/her face.

Deb

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We adopted Gus at 4 months and he was used to eating from peoples plate, something we are very against. Its our personal peeve when a dog begs for food through the entire meal, but thats just us. We needed to break Gus of this habit, so when he tried to "steal" some of my dinner I cought him, growled like a big bad alpha dog, grabben him by his scruff and lead him into the other room. a few of these acts and he will now lay on the floor and barely lift his head as i eat steak righ above him. I am not sure how alpha your young daughter can be, but she should certainly be higher up in the pack and should put the dogs in tis place and let it know it can never steal food from her. if she isnt consistent, ie she feeds him sometimes, the doodle will be after her food forever.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Our dogs have Never been allowed in the room while we are eating, nor do we allow dogs we sit for to be in the room while we are eating even if they do at their homes, it's just not allowed here

If your daughter is wandering around with a cookie or sandwich, it's gonna pretty tempting to Ginger to have food in her face and not take it, I agree, sitting your daugther at the table , or kitchen bar if you have one and making Ginger stay in the other room - make it a rule - eating only at the table whether it be a meal or a snack and NO dog in the room while you are eating.

Dogs are smart, they will learn that they aren't allowed at table, but you have to be Consistant, which when you have kids around, means being consistant with the kids too, they also have to learn to not feed Ginger and not let her at the table

if your dog just wont' stay out of the room, put up a gate or put Ginger in her crate while you eat

Good luck !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I will try to do as everyone suggested. I do put her in her cage when we are eating dinner. Ginger doesn't give us a hard time at dinner. It is when my daughter has a little snack.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
debbie with a 5yr old child it's hard.....i agree this time as to having your daughter sit at the table and eat her snacks and either make your doodle lie down or crate your doodle as you would during dinner.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Good idea to put he dog in the crate and your daughter at the table!
Yet, sometimes kids will wander around with a cookie or something and the dog is not crated.
Usually, you'd be supervising both, right? I'd start by letting your daughter walk around with a cookie and putting the dog in a STAY command. If she wanders near her, tug her away and say NO. I'd do this several times.....and repeat daily until she "gets it". This is not an unusual problem. Ginger just needs to learn it's not okay and I'm sure this can happen! :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I agree this tough - especially with a 5 yr old. Ours still give us that look (can I have some) when we start eating and we often have to tell them to go away or push them away a bit if they come near our plate, but they are learning to sit/lay down and leave us alone when we eat. We don't always eat at a table (we often eat in the den) and the food is much closer to them. They are definitely more tempted, but still leave everything alone.

I agree that for now either crate Ginger, keep Ginger on a leash when your daughter has food, or have your daughter eat everything at the table. Eventually I think Ginger will learn. Plus when your daughter gets just a little bit older she will be more capable of giving commands to Ginger "sit", "stay", "no this is my food" :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I would work on the command 'leave it' with the dog alone. Then teach the child. Don't be upset if the dog is quicker to learn then the kid :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts