Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you breeders who maintain a waiting list for your litters prior to them being born and who also procure deposits for these litters (often this is how I determine whether I will breed a heat or not, depending on how many deposits I have for a particular breeding) how do you determine the number of female deposits and the number of male deposits. In the past I've held it to 3 and 3 and then after the litter is born contact those on the "waiting list" and inform them of the additional pups and the ratios. The only problem with this is it's on a first come first serve basis and people end up sending deposits and I need to return them. Not a big deal, but disappointing for the families who hesitated. :( It's just a headache, and I am not a business person by any means ... so thanks in advance for your help!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome Susie, in the past I have not taken deposits until the pups are born but have found by doing that, I am losing a lot of sales. So, what I plan to do with my fall litters is take deposits as they are put on the wait list. I will only take deposits from people that do not have a preference in sex of the puppy, unless they are a breeder. Since the pups will be spay/neutered at a young age, the sex shouldn't matter anyways. I will probably take 4 maybe 5 deposits per litter. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Susie,
I am not in a position to have waiting lists yet...I have only had 2 litters, my most recent one born less than a week ago!
But I take deposits when they ask to reserve a puppy. This locks them in to their selection...and helps me know which pup is actually sold. Otherwise people can be turned away from a puppy they want and then the other buyer might change his/her mind...and you start all over again!
Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts