Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've learned so much on this forum about being careful with our puppies as they grow, as hip problems can result not only from genetics, but also from excessive stress on the joints.

Wrigley has learned how to go up & down the stairs now, but some breeders have cautioned me against allowing this. He'll soon be too big for me to carry up & down. What other types of activities should new puppy owners take care to prevent our growing puppies from doing so that their hips & other joints can grow without unneeded strains?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I put folding chair up on our staircase and leaned it slightly
otherwise all 3 doodles would chase each other up and down all day.

I also didn't allow frisbee throwing/playing till 10mos old and minimally

when taking doodles out back I let them play naturally
Large dog breed food is lower in protein than other puppy foods thus avoiding rapid growth spurts

We also put Beau 8.5mos old in a crate every afternoon for a good nap
just as i did with my kids when they were toddlers.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
MaxandMe said:
You put the kids in a crate!!!! :shock: Shame on you..... :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
401 Posts
gene said:
MaxandMe said:
You put the kids in a crate!!!! :shock: Shame on you..... :wink: :lol:
:lol: nice gene! haha... too funny :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
stairs?

Is there any hard evidence that stairs are bad for them? My dog loves to be downstairs with us and will often chase the cat up or down the stairs. Is it only bad if they RUN? what about slowly walking... i can't see how it would be different than running down a hill outside as long as the stairs are carpeted.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know the feeling windex. Jofi wants to be around us. We live in an open-plan split-level house with four half-flights of stairs so she does go up and down stairs more than I'd like. I've gated the kitchen which works to some extent but she figured out a while ago how to open the gates - so if she's keen, she'll get out. The worst thing is that when going down the stairs she tends to jump from the 3rd stair to the floor.

I know people who use ramps on their stairs and teach the dog to use the ramp instead. I'm not sure if the same damage is done if the dog walks carefully up/down the stairs.

And of course there are the doodle 500s - which for Jofi involves running top speed around the living room, jumping on and off the sofas - or doing a running jump from one sofa to the other (impressive as they are about metre apart).

I always make sure the hair on her pads are kept short to minimise sliding on the floors - apparently that's also a bit strain on the ligaments.

Libby

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Libby - you have described our house too...we have a split with 3 partial flights of stairs. We mainly hang out in our den so when Dex was a puppy, he wanted to stay with us so he was mostly in the den. We kept him on a leash a lot until he was potty trained so he didn't have much chance to be on the stairs. We just always tried to tire him out outside so he didn't feel the need to go running around the house as much. I think you just need to try to keep them from jumping up and down the stairs...I don't think using the stairs calmly is that bad for them.

If you have 2 young doodle puppies I don't know how you do it...ours are up and down all stairs all the time.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi Amy, I would err on the side of caution and limit running the stairs, jumping, and long walks and runs, especially on hard surfaces. Why do I recommend this? Because I happen to be a doodle owner who has gone thru the questioning of "did I do/allow something that may have attributed to Jett's severe HD?" Dealing with HD is hard enough without all the self-blame that can go along with it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Casey, Jett had reconstructive surgery to repair her HD. She underwent bilateral TPOs when she was 10 mo. She is doing great now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts