Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my husband and I are new to the boards and so happy to have found them! Has anyone experienced really picky eaters for puppies. I thought with the lab side that our little pup would be heartily chowing down her food, but not so. She has been on chicken soup for the puppies soul but a week ago just refused to eat it anymore. We were nevous and called the vet and breeder and they said that puppies sometimes get tired of a certain brand so change her. We brought home sampleas and she loved Wellness so we bought a bag and now she won't eat that. She still is drinking and will have treats or biscuits but won't touch her food. We were thinking of trying a low sodium, low fat chicken broth to put on top to make it a little softer. The wellness has some pretty big size chunks. Any advise for helping our pup eat, I'm getting really nervous? Much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you want to soften it up, I would just use warm water.
We need a bit more info tho, how often do you try to feed her in a day?
Do you leave the food out all the time for her, or do you have scheduled feedings?
I would try something like canidae, which I'm now switching my 4 month old pup too (and he LOVES it) or some other premium food<---which your vet probably won't have the best advice about btw. Don't just buy something at the grocery store that looks yummy, or has some gravy on it. Take the time to go to a pet store, read ingredients, and find something good for the dog. If a by-product, or a vegetable is listed as the first ingredients, keep looking.

If you aren't trying scheduled feedings, this would be my first step. Put down the amount of food that is reasonable, draw her attention to it for 10-15 mins. Whatever isn't eaten, take away.
Then when lunch comes, do the same thing, but don't offer whatever was left from breakfast. Just give the same reasonable amount each time.
Then for dinner, reasonable amount, 10-15 mins, then take it away. This method not only gets her to eat when it's put down, but it helps her learn that you control the food, therefore you ultimately are the boss around there and she can relax and let you make the decisions for her, and she better listen to what you say since you hold all the resources!

The pup will soon learn to eat when food is available, whether or not it's exactly the recipe she were hoping for.
Dogs aren't like cats, they won't let themselves starve to death, when she gets hungry enough she will eat what you put down. Also if you are giving cookies and treats as a reward, I would try giving her a piece of her kibble for the reward instead. Then when meal time comes she thinks she's hit the motherload of treats, for doing nothing more than sitting and waiting while you're putting the dish down.

However, all this advice is givin with the understanding that she's been cleared of any physical problem that would stop her from eating. You did say you've asked the vet about it so I assume she's been checked out throughougly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
switching food please help

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it we are new puppy parents and I get nervous when she's not eating. We have been leaving her food down in hopes she would eat it so I will try your suggestion of picking it up after 10 or 15 minutes. We brought a Canide sample home she wouldn't touch it maybe we could try again. I know we shouldn't switch back and forth though. wellness seemed to have lots of good ingredients and no fillers so I'll pick up the bowl and keep trying. I thought we'd have the other problem.....wanting to eat all the time. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.