Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just wondered what you all thought about switching dog food every couple of months. I read on the dog food analysis website to switch it up? Do you guys do this or stick with one thing?

I was looking at getting Canidae but they don't have a lot of variety so I was leaning towards Fromm's.

let the advice roll in..................
Jason
c/o Winnie Cooper

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
IMHO, you really need to get on one dog food and keep your dog on it
switching foods tend to upset the system , and normally it is recommended when changing dog food to do so over a 1 to 2 week period
you can however add variety, like boiled chicken or boiled hamburger every once in awhile
after 30 yrs dealing with dogs this is what i personally have learned

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I agree with Nancy - when you find a food that works well for your dog (no allergy issues, doodle digests it well and will eat it), I would stick with it.

We'll vary treats a bit (sometimes feeding yogurt, pumpkin, pineapple). Ours scarf down anything we give them so I don't feel they ever get bored with what they are fed :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i was leaning with sticking with Canidae and just adding a little all natural foods once in a while like fruits or veggies..only approved ones of course. Thanks again guys.....

do any of you stuff Kongs with Peanut butter? any advice?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
OMG peanut butter is one of their favorite things :) You can smear some pb in the kong and freeze it overnight - it will take longer for your doodle to get it out :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet that is what we were going to use....do you use just regular old skippy? or something organic....it's my first "own" dog and don't wanna screw it up.

we got a couple puppy kong toys and hopefully winnie cooper loves em..

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I had heard recently that some dogs were having excessive gas on CCanidae
I just started recommending INNOVA foods if my clients annot find Verus (which is what i feed)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we have a HUGE pet supply company nearby that my friends parents own called the Hungry Puppy here is NJ I think they have those brands....

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I just found this info a few days ago...
I found it interesting that "Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables " rated so high....we use Canidae, no gas problems.

Here is the grading scheme:

Dog Food - Scoring Guide and Scores
Prepared by HausMommy

Here is a list of ingredients and definitions you'll find in your dog's food: http://www.redbandannapetfood.com/ingredient.htm

How to grade your dog's food:
Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer's rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
<70 = F

Here are some foods that have already been scored. If you don't see your dog's food here, ask and someone will score it for you.
Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F

Canidae / Score 112 A+

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+

Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+

Foundations / Score 106 A+

Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 D

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D

Innova Dog / Score 114 A+

Innova Evo / Score 114 A+

Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+

Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F

ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+

Purina Benful / Score 17 F

Purina Dog / Score 62 F

Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F

Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+

Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A

Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F

Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Judit thats a good scale, i used to use it myself, however since the Dog food recall things have change considerably
some of the companies on this list were part of the recall, in fact Nutro
they gave me such a run around when i called them to check on some things i quit using them thankfully because ended up their food was recalled a week later on one of my pups (sold to a client ,died from the tainted food)
i did my own research and now use VERUS or Innova

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max and Peanut have been on Canidae All Life stages since April 2007 but a few months ago they started having bad gas.

what can happen is
1. you have to adjust amount fed or check actual amount ( i always measure their food out)
2. they do get pineapple, avocado, sweet potato, cheese, etc in tiny amounts but not daily

3. we tried mixing in other canidae formulas as requested by Canidae representative and they also admitted sometimes say after a year
a dog may need more variety

Result: I now have been adding 1/2 cup of Taste of Wild (pacific stream formula) for almost a month
NO more GAS!!! and they're doing great .... 2/3 canidae to 1/3 Taste of wild
firm poops, smaller sized too, less odor, and also NO MORE Room Clearing SBD's

(anyone need some Fabreeze? I'm not using mine anymore) :wink: :D

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
OMG peanut butter is one of their favorite things :) You can smear some pb in the kong and freeze it overnight - it will take longer for your doodle to get it out :)
Jonah is the only dog I've ever met who does not like peanut butter.......don't know why...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i can imagine dog toots aren't much fun.....i had a dog growing up and he only did that like 3 times but I REMEMBER each time VIVIDLY.....

Ill keep the Taste of the Wild idea in mind if own little dog starts smelling up the place....

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sofia......ONLY 3 times? :shock:

hahhaaaaaaaaaaa you need to read my Phffft Over here blog article then! hahhaaaaa

when mine get SBD;s 3 times in 10mins is more like it ...or rather 3 sbd's every 10 to 15min for about a few hours hahhaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
sweet that is what we were going to use....do you use just regular old skippy? or something organic....it's my first "own" dog and don't wanna screw it up.
haha...yeah we buy whatever is on sale (usually the generic brand for the doodles)...we use only creamy :)

Where in NJ are you? We are in Monmouth County...

·
Registered
3 Posts
We use the Kirklands (Costco) brand for our 6 month old GD and have had great success. No gas and his coat looks great. Also, its way cheaper than the other brands. I think 20lbs. is about $12.00!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea we are in Freehold/Beachwood. Where in Monmouth are you? We could meet up for Doodle Dates once my little girl is a little older.
Jason and Kelly
winnie cooper

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
yea we are in Freehold/Beachwood. Where in Monmouth are you? We could meet up for Doodle Dates once my little girl is a little older.
Jason and Kelly
winnie cooper
we're in Matawan so very close. Have you been to Thompson Park in Holmdel? We go there often...there is a dog park. The dog beach at Manasquan is awesome too...we'd totally be up for a doodle play date :) How old is she?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I have been to that park. I went to school at Brookdale actually. I work in Manasquan. She is only 3 months old at this point so a doodle date is probably off in the distance a bit since she still hasn't even had a rabies shot. But as soon as she is a little older for sure since we really want to socialize her with other dogs...that would be awesome....what is the deal with the dog beach? is it nuts?
jason

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
She is only 3 months old at this point so a doodle date is probably off in the distance a bit since she still hasn't even had a rabies shot. But as soon as she is a little older for sure since we really want to socialize her with other dogs...that would be awesome....what is the deal with the dog beach? is it nuts?
yeah we started taking Dex to Thompson Park when he was 5-6 months old...he really was never afraid at all :) I think it helped him learn some socialization...we were there tonight :)

We haven't been to the dog beach since before Memorial Day so I don't know how crowded it is in the summer...hopefully we can get there sometime in early July...our weekends are just so busy :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts