Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my labradoodle pretty recently, and after having had a lab that hated water (sadly we had to give the lab away), I was excited to hear that I might have a dog who would love to go swimming. I live near a lake, and when I take my puppy out to the edge, she starts pulling on the leash and jumping in the water. However, when I take her near the pool, she shys away from the water. Is this normal?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I had a Cocker who loved the ocean, the bay, lakes, streams, etc......but was terrified of pools. A few times when he did go in, he would act petrified and scramble to get out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would just take her in and hold her

Let her get used to it and keep showing her how and where to get out. I have an IG pool so it was easy for my puppy because of the big wide steps. If its an AG pool it may be more difficult. At first my pup seemed a little nervous. I held her and spoke to her and also had a harness on her that I could easily grab and hold when I needed to. I literally can not keep my labradoodle from jumping in the pool now. When I bring her to the steps she turns around and jumps right back in LOL Its quite funny!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. For now I'll just let her get used to the lake.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Swimming??

I can only say, that our hopes of Mojo were the same when we moved here, and have a pool. Mojo loves baths, but refuses to go swimming...but I was told, that in time he might change his mind...good luck.....and what a cutie!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you,

thats good news. I hope Coco ends up liking the water. I've been told that a good way to introduce her to a pool is by teaching her to play fetch, and then edging the toy closer to the water, then throwing it in the water. Is this a good strategy?

·
Registered
50 Posts
It took Dexter a while to like the pool. I started by carrying him in and letting him rest on my legs. We found that he really liked our turtle thermometer when he took off in the water after it. We bought him a kong water wubba and are teaching him to dive in off of our steps. He won't jump in with out being coaxed.

He seems to love swimming and it takes A LOT out of him. He was still asleep at 7 am this morning after a short swim yesterday.

Just be patient and don't force her.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
The jacket is a great idea and I have
one for Denver. It builds confidence and
Denver is an excellent swimmer without the jacket
as well now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts