Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, ya'll. I've been traveling for a couple of weeks and have just caught up with this forum. George and Gracie grew so much while I was gone. They are now 51 and 49 pounds. Lots of gorgeous wavy chocolate scruffies. It's amazing what a sight for sore eyes these little wild things are!

So, my question: They both are 6 mos. now and are scheduled for neutering/spaying tomorrow am. They have been sharing a very large crate. I know that Grace will have a more significant response to the surgery. Should I get her into her own crate? I have a smaller crate that she can barely stand up in - with her head down a bit but she can turn around in it. What I'm wondering is: 1. Should she be separated from George during reocvery? 2. Is the small crate a positive or negative? 3. How long will she need to be kept inactive?

I can't imagine Gracie slowing down for anything, so I just need to know how much I need to intervene, or will her pain and recovery slow her down without "mommy" imposing restrictions on her?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Gunner is schedule tomorrow also! I am not sure what to expect it has been 15 years since I have done this. Good Luck George and Gracie!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Best wishes and good luck to George, Gracie and Gunner! My puppies are going in this week too...the girls on Friday, boys on Monday! Tis the season!

I think that the main issue is to avoid rough playing for fear of pulling stitches. From what I hear, it is tough to keep them quiet...so a separate crate might be good for a few days.

Just keep them from licking/scratching/biting/pulling at stitches and from too much rough and tumble play. They should recover very quickly!

(I am sure that your vets will tell you all of this too. :) )

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck to Gunner. Thanks, Jac for the advice. You're right - keeping George and Gracie quiet seems impossible when they're together. It's one of those plus/minus things....they love each other and enjoy being together, but the result is usually mischief! They are settling down some, though and today we actually had some sweet untethered moments in the house! Yay!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would definitely do the separate crate for a day or two. The problem is going to be if she needs a clown collar. Will it fit in the smaller crate? Oh, how'd the surgery go?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Surgery was yesterday and went just fine. The doods seem not to even notice, which is distressing because they still want to jump and run as if there aren't any stitches to tear out. I've separated them by dividing their big crate. But there's lots of barking and whining. They want OUT! The vet says we have to keep them quiet for 10 -14 days. At this rate, I can't imagine that. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm so happy to hear everything went well! Summer was the same way- she had no idea anything happened! She came home and acted like her normal crazy self! I can't imagine what it's like with two! We just did lots of leashed walks to wear her out and lots of chewies and bones to keep her busy. Good luck!

Bridget and Summer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts