Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone! I am new here and have some questions for all you doodle experts. My family is going to bring home our new doodle next weekend. Her name is Lizzie and we are so excited! We went to buy some supplies- toys, food bowls, etc.- and I was somewhat overwhelmed by all the choices. I wondered if you all have a certain dog shampoo that you love? Is there a certain age the puppy should be before bathing her? Also, any toys that you like? We got several toys including a little Kong disc and a fleecey stuffed toy. Also, what type of brush do you use? Lizzie is described as having a very wavy coat. We have a metal cage for a medium sized dog. Is this too big to use for crate training? Should we get a "crate"?

Thanks so much for all your help! I have been reading bunches of these threads, and they really have been informative!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi there new dood. I'm also a new doodle owner. Sam has been with me for about 2 weeks. Can I just say that the people on here are fantastic and I've found their advice really helpful. Anyway, here's my experience getting ready for Sam. As far as bathing Sam, I got him when he was 8 weeks and he had already been bathed by the breeder. I use a shampoo that is oatmeal based. Ask you local vet for a recommendation. As for toys, Sam's favourites are a brightly coloured red and green bone shaped soft toy, a squeeky rubber ball, a wooly toy and a ball on rope. I think he likes the different textures to chew on. He also likes chewing on rawhide. I just use a wire brush for his coat. He is a soft fleece coat. As for crate training, I think the wire cage should be ok as long as it's not too big. I use a crate and it's working very well. Sam willingly goes in there when there are new noises that he's not sure of. It's his safe haven. In the 2 weeks I've had him, he's grown pretty quickly. I reckon in another week or 2, I need to get a bigger crate for him. Your wire crate should be ok as long as you can partition it off. Puppy really only needs enough space to be able to stand up and turn around in. I suspect that it should work just as well as a crate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome new dood! You'll be able to get your questions answered on this forum. Everyone is a big help. :)

Try doing a search for "getting ready" or "what toys" or "shampoo". You'll see that a lot of your answers are already on the forum.

I'm a new doodle owner as you will be soon. I did the searches to find out the best toys and list of other items I would need. I did not know about puppy piddle pads until this forum! Great invention. They work. Sometimes you just can't tell when the pup wants to go out and he finds the pad when you are oblivious to his need. Of course....I know you will pay better attention than me. :oops: :oops:

You're gonna have a good time with your dood. Remember....TAKE pictures!! :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi and welcome. The search function is great as there is a ton of info already out there (although sometimes it takes awhile getting through it all).

We had a wire cage at the beginning but after a few days we bought a crate. They learn to climb pretty fast and we were nervous about him hurting himself. There's a great picture of Annemarie's doodle Peanut escaping from one of those at eight weeks somewhere on the forum. We bought a large crate with a divider.

Stainless steel bowls are better than plastic. Henry's favourite toys when he was little were a tennis ball with a rope, and that fleecy weiner dog toy they have everywhere. We tried to find ones with a lower pitched squeaky since they squeak a lot.

We use a slicker brush which is the flat kind of wire brush. I asked a groomer and they suggested that one.

Congratulations and of course we want pictures as soon as you get her!!

G

·
I use Best Shot shampoo and conditioner on Maya. They also have a revitilizing spray that you can use in between baths. I only give Maya a bath once a month if I can help it. As for toys Maya has tons. I shop online at dog.com. Their prices are lower than Petsmart and you get free shipping if you spend $50 or more so.......

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Tennis balls are great except don't let them chew on them. Some where on the forum it is mentioned by dixiedi that the material on the tennis balls will hurt their teeth if they continually chew on them. They are great for fetching and play but not chewing.

I like the stainless steel bowl easy to clean and they can't tear them up, I like kongs, bully sticks, I buy stuff animals at garage sales cheap and just watch what I buy mine seem to destroy them quickly so I don't buy them from the toy aisle.

If you buy a large crate make sure you divide it off at one end until the pup gets older otherwise they will sleep at one end potty at the other. The metal crates have dividers if you prefer the plactic just stick a box at one end.

I wouldn't invest a lot of money in a bed until you see how much chewing your pup does. :oops:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just use our shampoo on Pixie. We got her at 8 weeks, and I shampooed her right away, because she had vomited on herself during the trip, and she also had a very strong doggy smell. Regular people shampoo seems fine to me, and I don't bathe her very often. I use a wire brush on her coat, it's fleecy.

There are a LOT of choices for dog toys. I would get a variety, as you get to know Lizzie you'll figure out what she likes. Pixie likes small, hard rubber toys and stuffed toys (and our socks!). I would get the small Kong too, you can fill it with treats or peanut butter to help her while away her time in the crate.

We have a medium sized metal crate. Pixie is 3/4 miniature poodle and 1/4 lab, so she's not going to get as big as most of the dogs here, but I think we'll have to get a large eventually. You want it to be big enough for them to stand/turn around in. If your cage is big, you can get one or two cardboard boxes to place in there temporarily, until Lizzie's grown bigger and/or is housebroken. Is it an x-pen? We have one, and Pixie was able to climb out of it by about 18 weeks.

I got a stainless steel water dish, but splurged on a food dish from georgesf.com. It's ceramic, which isn't as sanitary as stainless...but so cute. :)

Enjoy your new pup and don't forget to post some pictures for us!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I will take your advice and do some searches for more info. We don't have the x-pen. It is a fully enclosed cage, and I think I will put a box in the one side so that it doesn't seem too large. You all seem like such a friendly bunch and I really appreciate all the help you've offered- both on this thread and others! And by the way, all your babies are adorable! I love looking at the different photos.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Welcome to you and Lizzie, look forward to pictures

we use stainless steel bowls for food and water. you can always use an inexpensive blanket or towels for a bed until you find one you like

Annabelle has lots of toys - fuzzy squeakys, hard plastic balls and toys (not the latex kind, they tear to easy) I dont give her tennis balls as she tears them apart in no time. With the fuzzy squeaky toys, if she starts to destuff them, pull all the stuffing out and throw out, give her the "carcass"

I dont give AB rawhides as she either swallows big pieces or gets sick from them.

I use crazy dog baby powder scent shampoo, have used it for years with our labs

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodleland and congrats
i use an oatmeal based shampoo and like the others
have said, if you search there are lots of answers here.............
cannot wait for pictures of your new baby..........

·
Registered
659 Posts
I definitely recommend a good quality crate. We have a single story home with a contemporary "open floor plan". We let Ozzie roam the main central living/kitchen area (with doors to all other rooms shut) but we never take our eyes off him for a second. He sleeps in the crate and also goes in when he needs a "time out".

I also recommend getting some dog ear cleaning solution and some Resolve For Pets carpet spot remover.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gene said:
What part of Ohio? We seem to be getting a lot of Ohio doods lately.
We are in Akron- about 45 minutes from you, Gene. I will try to post some pictures when I get some (and if I can figure out how to do it!)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Cool....maybe a mini-romp this spring or summer!!

on posting pictures......
Go to www.photobucket.com

Create a username and password;
then upload your pictures

Next highlight and copy the IMG code beneath the picture (hit control and c at same time)

Then come to forum and hit reply button - or open a new topic.
Now hit control and V to paste the IMG code into your message.
Type what you want before or after doing above step.

You can preview your message to be sure it looks the way you want it to.

Last, hit submit and your photo shows up.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
welcome newdood!!!!

we're a friendly happy helpful bunch here with a few hooligans lurking every so often hahahhahhaaa
can't wait to see pics!!!

toys: hardplastic jolly ball they use at zoos for bears, wildcats
merrick THE TANK bones only , defuzzed and desquakes toys are their favorite, kong teether and kong balls too.

you'll have a blast playing and lovign your new doodle

OH nature's miracle is handy for those few accidents that might happen

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
MaxandMe said:
toys: hardplastic jolly ball they use at zoos for bears, wildcats
appen
Where do you get them and are they called Jolly balls I had some of the kids large outdoor balls she loved them but they didnt last too long - popped them, got a soccer ball but she doesnt play with it like she did the othe rones

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Where do you get them and are they called Jolly balls I had some of the kids large outdoor balls she loved them but they didnt last too long - popped them, got a soccer ball but she doesnt play with it like she did the othe rones
I'm pretty sure we got our Jolly Ball at dog.com...it's our favorite website for ordering toys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congratulations New Dood! I noticed you said you lived in Akron. So do we. There are a couple of great dog parks in our area. When your puppy is old enough to socialize let me know and I'll take my Licorice and meet you there for some Doodle play. We also take her to a puppy day care once a week that I highly recommend. They board too. Licorice loves it there. They are located in Talmadge. It helps with the excess energy. They also offer classes there too. The guy that teaches them is very knowledgeable on dogs. Good luck with your new Doodle. We just love ours, she is unlike any other dog we have owned.

Theresa

1 - 20 of 26 Posts