Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chouette doesn't like the heat, and I figured maybe this was just the way black doodles were. She's been kind of droopy recently even though we have the air on in the house (it's hitting 100 outside.) This morning I took her for her walk to get the paper and then she didn't want to eat her breakfast, but just went and lay down. She was pokey all morning and I wondered whether it was just the weather or something more.

This afternoon we went to the lake for my granddaughter's sail camp (one week of sailing lessons at our club.) A friend whose husband is a retired vet was there and I mentioned it to her. Cindy asked if she'd had any vaccinations recently and I said, no, just the Lyme vaccine. She reminded me that they don't like that vaccine and especially not for a puppy under a year, and she thought that perhaps it had given Chouette Lyme disease, which can happen. So I took her to the vet's ASAP. It was a young guy this time who had little experience and wanted to let me know everything it could be, so he was talking about meningitis and all sorts of horrible possibilities. Chouette was a little sensitive when he pressed along her spine, but he said that could just be her individual personality. Her neck was supple and she walked well. Stool sample was clear. He said he could run blood work but probably I should just watch her for a couple of days and see whether she perked up and was eating. Then he checked with the older vet, who apparently thought it was probably nothing. She did have a slightly elevated temperature - 103 - and was breathing a little quickly, but it was very hot outside and that seems to affect her. So they said to keep an eye on her and if she didn't look better by Wednesday, to call them.

When I got her back to the lake she ate all her dinner, even outside in the heat, and drank a lot of water. Then she started playing in the water with Rosalena, with her usual energy. When my friend, Cindy, came back to pick up her grandson she said her husband suggested giving Chou Gatorade - he says that sometimes puppies don't regulate their temperature or other vital aspects perfectly because they're immature neurologically and endocrinologically and whatever, and Gatorade helps to replenish electrolytes and give them a boost. When I got her home she had sort of a loose bowel movement, which the vet had been asking about but up til then they'd been firm. However, she's eating and was playing, so I'm not as worried. Anybody else have any insight into how doodles handle heat and whether this is something people have seen before?

Leslie (with a now-zonked Chouette)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie...i have two doodles who right now will eat a bit less, drink more water and lay in front of the fan on the floor or by my feet under a ceiling fan on high. It is in the 90's today and they had to almost be dragged out to go potty today hahahhaaa NOW today they were a bit lethargic as it was really hot and humid.

If it cools down later then they will spring back to life doing doodle runs.

KNOW what? listen to you gut instinct. Doodle parents know when something isn't right....just like amom is with her kids.

Keep an eye on your baby and keep us informed

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I can tell you Dexter is definitely a lot more lethargic in the heat. He will still play, but for much less time. Since she is so young it may hit her harder. Since her lethargic behavior happened just as we are getting this terrible heat I would think it's due to the heat. However it's better safe than sorry.

Dex got the lymes disease vaccine several months ago (maybe around 4-5 months). I never heard it was bad for them...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Annmarie and Leslie! That's reassuring.

My friend and her husband feel that the Lyme vaccine isn't proven and could be dangerous. Lyme disease is caused by a spirochete, the same sort of organism that causes syphillis, and they're notoriously difficult to treat and to prevent. Also both disease entities are great imitators, and can mimic other diseases and manifest in lots of different ways so they're hard to diagnose. Even the young vet said that he'd heard both opinions, pro and con Lyme vaccine, vehemently presented by different profs at his vet school.

By the way, here's a photo of Chouette playing in the lake AFTER the return from the vet's!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
whew!! i hear you on the heat. My A/C has a leak and can't be used.

Max and Peanut are panting heavily on my legs hahahhahaaa
and I work outside 95% of the day ....today i had to prune trees for 8 hours i finally wet my hair in the sink and put itup in a bun to keep cool.

we hosed our doodles down tonight and they're already dry :shock:

by the way WHAT a nice photo!!!! i lov thos action shots

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Annmarie, what DO you do outside 95% of the day? What kind of trees are you pruning and are they yours? I get mad at my husband when he's out in the garden at midday in the sweltering heat! If we move over to the shade by the river it's gotta be about twenty degrees cooler, I swear!

Yeah, I love action shots, too. My camera is fast under those lighting conditions and I can capture those flying droplets. Didn't use it this time, but I can also take consecutive shots at something like one second intervals, which is good for action.

Here's hoping it cools off soon. My desktop weather application shows 95 tomorrow, 91 Wednesday, 87 on Thursday, and 85 on Friday, but by Thursday night the evening temps are going down to 60.

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie i work as a Landscape designer and also take care of the 4 acres of trees for the landscape store. So most of my work is outside unless i have some "computer paperwork" to do then i can sit in the office for a few minutes in a/c :D :D I am also a wholesale manager too.

I am learning how to use my new digital camera and wow we can capture actual droplets of water too. The clarity is awesome.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After two very loose bowel movements last night, this morning's was as firm as usual, which was a relief, but I saw that she had upchucked last night's dinner at some point during the evening and she didn't want anything first thing this morning. She doesn't like the Gatorade but she drank some when I put more water in it.

She's eating now, and I hope she keeps it down. I'm thinking I should leave her at home today instead of carting her around as I usually do, and see how she is after a day in the a/c. It's supposed to be another scorcher.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hmmm, weird stuff. Dexter upchucked in two spots in the kitchen overnight last night. He's actually been a little slow over the last few days. It's got to be the heat, the air is like steamy soup out there. Yuk.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
YIKES! I was panting a bit, myself, reading your adventure with ChouChou! I'm glad she seems ok. I don't have experience with the Lyme vaccine, but it seems like it might have combined with the heat, maybe, for the lethargy? I really get irritated at vets blowing off concern, as much as I do those who seem to imagine stuff to worry about! sigh.

I think Annmarie is exactly right, that you and your caring instincts will know best when there's a judgement call. It's the best way to live with ourselves, ya know?

We have one puppy still here...he just kind of lays around or looks for shade in our yard when he's outside.

I hope the heat breaks for all of us soon....we're supposed to have a cold front blow thru from Canada for a day or so. We need the rain, too. But oy, 5 dogs in the house is no picnic either! :roll:

Thank you for keeping us posted Leslie. And I LOVE that picture of Rosalena and Chouette in the lake!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got home from taking Rosalena to riding lessons and then to sail camp. Tony had Chouette out and she had a small but firm bowel movement, and he says she started acting perkier around midday. She's wandering around looking for toys to chew, coming up to me and wagging her tail, and when I offered her a midday snack she seemed ticked when I didn't let her finish all of today's spurned breakfast. Didn't want to overload that tummy, though. She's been drinking the Gatorade, although not as much as I'd like, and her nose is moister now. I think she's okay and maybe just needed a quiet day at home. I'd been taking her to the lake because that's the way WE cool off, but I think it was just too much too often for a young puppy who doesn't like heat to begin with.

She bumped into something as I was typing just now, and when I went to check on her she came prancing over to me with a saucy growl and wanted to play tug of war. Definitely seems to be on the mend. But it was scary!

Leslie

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It has been my experience that black dogs are not really sun friendly especially when they are younger. They normally outgrow it, but take all the regular precautions - bring water with you when travelling and try to shade them :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Our Dane was black, too, but of course had shorter hair. Chouette seemed to go into a tailspin even though at home she was in the a/c, and at the lake we had plenty of water, took her in to cool her, and kept her in the shade. Don't know if it was heat plus some aftereffect of the Lyme vaccine, as Maureen suggested. Our friends who don't believe in it feel that it can compromise a puppy's immune system. Hopefully Chou will outgrow this; I did want to keep her with me when possible because it's more fun for her than staying home in a crate and she's been getting good socialization experiences. Plus of course it's fun for me to have her along.

Thanks for all the good tips and encouragement! She had a good dinner and seems to be pretty much back to normal. Whew!

Leslie

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
our dane was blue! I love the black danes :) I do not love the porcupine hair though :) I am fairly anti vaccine so I would be the first to hop on the yeah I bet it was the vaccine wagon :) Glad its past!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I probably wouldn't have gone for the vaccine if my friends had reminded me, and if we hadn't met a woman in the waiting room who had a dog who was suffering from the after-effects of Lyme.

Porcupine hairs, right! Once in awhile one would pierce the skin of my foot and behave like a splinter. That could make you fairly sore!

Chouette is playing happily now, and is even getting ornery. Hooray!

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie i am happy to hear Chouette is doing much better :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Annmarie! It was sure nice to have somewhere to go to express my worries, and to have people be reassuring.

I think the Gatorade idea is a good one; I'll keep some in the house. That way if she starts getting lethargic and losing her appetite again I'll have it handy. Not sure if that or just the rest in the a/c all day did the trick, but it's great to have my puppy back again!

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie...sometimes i treat my dogs like i would myself. I know when it gets in the 90's my appetite tapers off. I noticed so does max and peanut's. Last night they didn't eat their dinner until 9:15pm. later on i gave them pineapple and watermelon as a treat along with ice cubes in their water.
And tonight I have a fan on the floor for them on high, which they Love and Peanut hogs hahahahaaaa

1 - 20 of 53 Posts