Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about all of you who recently Shaved their doodles down for the summer... do they seem like they are staying cooler??? Can you tell?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cody does seem a bit cooler, but then he's a black doodle so he's still a solar dog. We keep him supplied with cold water and ice cubes.

I'm sure he's somewhat more comfortable then he would be with his full, thick coat in the current temps.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We cut Dex down back in late March...we had just started to have some slightly warm weather and I noticed he was much cooler after the cut. The reason I think he was cooler is that he was running around much more and was a lot faster. We want to keep his longer hair a bit longer, but come July 4 I think he'll get another very short cut. His hair is thicker - Kirby seems to do a bit better because his hair is just not so thick.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have seen some posts on here about keeping them longer as their hair helps to cool them....which is best, long, short or in between? Any of your vets weigh in on this???

In Raleigh today we reached 101 with a heat index of 110!! Obviously we are all staying in doors and we will not get our pup until September, but I am very interested in what will be best for next year.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I think so. Cacao has really curly hair. She was panting so much. And now I just hose her off and she seems so happy. Beau may get a hair cut soon. He is panting really bad. Friday was really hot like 89 or so. I am sure a hair cut would help him out.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I suppose it might depend on the doodle's coat. Charlie has a very thick poodle-type coat and it definitely helps to cut it short.

Deb

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I have heard both sides of the story as well... to cut or not to cut... With the HEAT coming on pretty strong these days, just trying to figure out what the best options would be... :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Peanut was cut down to a 1/2 in and wow she's really cooler now
her Coat is lighter in color looking more like whitish/cream but once it grows to 3/4in the apricot comes back in

Max we just got the undercoat taken out and a smidge of a trim,
he's still jet black

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Toby was cut down to 1" but, he s growing it back
pretty fast..2 summer cuts a yr?

i also had them cut his belly down to 1/2"..and he spends
alot of time laying on the tile floor rather than the
carpet..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts