Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

We currently have a 2 year old beagle, and we just put our deposit on an F1 labradoodle litter that was just born January 26th.. yaaa....

I just wanted to hear some opinions on getting our second dog the same sex... another male.

Does anybody have any advice, or concerns, suggestions for success on this.

We are moving into our new house around the same time we get the pup (could be just before or just after... we are building so they can not give us a forsure timeline).

Any suggestions are appreciated... thanks!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We have 2 males...we don't have any real problems...they have gone through the "sorting out of dominance" thing a few times, but nothing too bad. Dexter was neutered very young (5-6 months) and he is totally a pushover. Kirby is definitely dominant, and Dex doesn't seem to have any trouble with that. I think if you had 2 dominant males you may have a problem...what is the personality of your current dog?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I have several friends that have 2 male dogs. As far as I know there hasn't been a major problem with it. All dogs are fine and yes, there is a dominate one, but then a wild pack will have that. I'm thinking it would be fine. and don't worry that the older one is putting the younger one in "his place". That's how they sort our their social order.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have 2 male doodles and in beginning there were a few dominance issues but for most part they get along well
i also have a female doodle in the house too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
consider ages

Had a dear 10 year old male yellow lab who was arthritic, tired, and just about through.

Best thing we ever did for him was get 10 week old male lab pup. Youngster thought the old dog was greatest thing in the world and old guy really seemed to enjoy his new "little brother". Had a way of giving a quick growl and snap to keep puppy in line, but otherwise they got along fine. Older guy lived another three years and I'm convinced having puppy around made him more youthful and gave him a lot more to enjoy those last years.

I always thought age difference was a reason for their good relationship, as they had similar personalities and might not have gotten along so well if nearer the same age.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My in-laws have two male dogs and they get along great. There was a period where they were sorting out their dominance issues, but it didn't take long and now they can't live without each other. In this situation the younger male is the dominant dog, but I don't think it's like that in every case.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Right now I have 3 males in the house 2 intact with no problems it really depends on the breed and the dogs, Labradoodles don't tend to be over dominant so there usually isn't a problem.

My new guy is Jasper I need to post a picture of him.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
My two boys get along great....there are some dominance issues in the house sometimes, but never bad. Just sibling rivalry kinda stuff. Miko just looks on and shakes her head! :wink:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
my vet prefers to own 2 males herself but I think that the issue is more one of personality and not gender. Dogs are pack animals and see themselves as having a position in the pack. If you are going to spay/neuter your dogs, then the issue of gender is really 'neutralized' - so to speak.

So my advice would be to decide if you are ok with a dog that is more playful, or more dominant than your 1st dog, and go from there, either way. When we have a litter there is always one that I hope will go to a home where he or she can be with another dog, and it's ok if they are a bit of an instigator. Other people want a docile dog that will submit to their first dog. There are usually both in every litter, and in either gender. :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have 2 male poodles, 19 months and 7 months old; 2 female labs 5 yrs and 1.5 yrs old; and one labradoodle female 5 months old. All are intact and for the most part they get along very well. There is always going to be a pecking order... so you have to expect that to be established early on regardless of the gender of the dogs. My oldest Lab female is absolute boss here and everyone else obeys her. The youngest Poodle male is low boy on the totem pole and accepts that position without question.

I can have them all in the house together without worrying about fights because that pecking order has been established. I'm not so sure it's the gender as much as the temperament and personality of the individual dogs that determines how well this will work out. I choose my dogs very carefully for these 2 traits, since I don't want to be breeding aggressive dogs at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you!!

Thank you for all your comments!! We have first pick at a male in the litter so I should be able to pick a pup with the right personality and temperment.... I made sure I was very detailed on my adoption form too so that our breeder can also help pick out our new addition to our family....

We can't wait.... thanks again!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We've Picked Our Male Puppy!!

hopefully this works... so this is a picture of our new lil guy at 4 weeks... we pick him up on March 22nd and can not wait!

[/img]/Users/Jax/Desktop/darma-taz-4.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Lets try again... here is hopefully a pic of our new lil labradoodle!![/img][/list]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't wait.. I think I have checked the breeders site 5 times a day since the puppies were born for any new pictures...funny how while waiting for a puppy 8 weeks feels like forever...here are some pics of our lil guys siblings...I wanted to take them all home when I went to see them all last weekend (and I can't believe they are still available as they are all such cuties - they are all boys but the last pic is the only girl!)

Obviously it was a hard decision!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhhhhhhh i lovvvvvvvvvvvv chocolate!!! JAX i'd be going nuts waiting 8 weeks hhahhahahaaaaaaaaaaa they are so cute!!!

I have 2 males and 1 female doodle here
one male is intact.....all goes well little BEAU is learning his pecking order

IF MAX has a certain KONG TOY he's boss,,, IF and When BEAU manages to somehow get this TOY from Max then he's boss of it hahhaaaaaaaaaaaa
Finally, WHEN Princess Peanut comes nonchalantly walking by and Steals the this TOY from either one of them, Then SHE"S BOSS with no questions asked for the rest of the day with Max and Beau sitting and whining for it hahaha

it's like having toddlers again :D all goes well, they play MY Favorite toy, and when BEAU the puppy is tired, he buys a naptime ticket that i happily oblige to his request :wink:

·
Registered
398 Posts
My puppy was born 2 weeks ago today. I cannot believe how slowly two weeks has passed and the remaining 6 look like they will be even more torture. Thank the heavens for this website and all the cute puppy pictures.

Your little guy is so precious, I just want to reach into the picture and cuddle him :)

We will be going to the breeders to pick out our puppy on March 29th. We can't wait. 8)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh I just love the pecking order and how this super KONG reigns all superior!! Just great...I guess we will see what toy is the trophy in our household.

and dgeggis... I have been reading a book recommended by my breeder called "The Art of Raising A Puppy" by New MOnks Skete and it is great! I

t takes you right through from mama delivering to all the different stages the pups go through until that magical week 8 when we get to fianlly bring them into our homes.... and then of course there is even more info from there....I have found this book to be a great during this waiting period as I get a better idea on my what my pups been busy doing and learning during these long 8 weeks of waiting and agony!!

I agree though that this forum with all these cute pups and adults sure helps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts