Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird thing... we have taken Lucas to as many places and car rides as possible, he loads and unloads in the cars great. But about 3 weeks ago, he suddenly decided, he didn't want to load or unload into the back of the SUV (we have a SUV and a sedan). As far as we know, nothing weird has happened to him in the back of the SUV, but he will not jump in or out??? We have even left him in the back of the SUV with the door open and gone in the house assuming he would jump out but 15mins later, he is still in there??? Then when Della joined us, we thought surely Lucas would now jump in and out of the truck, if he see's that Della is doing it... but no?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm assuming that the height of the back of the SUV is taller than going in the doors.
Maybe he is sore only when jumping up or down from that higher level?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were wondering that, but he is pretty big, and it is no harder to jump on and off our bed that it is the back of the truck? It's so weird? Not to mention, he used to have no issues with jumping in and out of the truck?

G

·
Maya does this sometimes but not consistantly. I just put her in the truck when she won't go in on her own if I have to take her where I am going. If not she goes back in the house and doesn't get the ride. It's not easy lifting a 65lb doodle into the back of an SUV. I have never had a problem with her jumping out though.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
well I hope nothing is wrong

our princess Peanut has yet to EVER jump in our truck, car or SUV
but boy oh boy can she easily jump over a work horse, chair on the stairs, or up on my bed :wink:

Max is the only one who will jump in .......Beau likes a hoist up
Peanut we need a hydraulic lift hahhaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
im finding these doodles to be so weird in a funny way..Toby will put his 2 paws on the door opening and wait for me to finish loading his fat butt into the car..

yet he jump s up and down the bed with no problems..

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao won't jump into the van. She will set and wait for you to pick her up and put her in.

G

·
Just a word on the steps. My friend bought them for her dog that had ACL surgery and he refused to use them. She took them back to Petsmart and the clerk there said everyone that buys them returns them because the dogs do not use them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
yeah, my golden - elsa - jumps right in my truck. prince charles demands to be pickrd up and deposited in his seat.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He does jump on and off our bed without a problem, and on and off various other equally high or higher places without a problem, so doesn't seem to be a physical thing.

So the only thing we can guess it that perhaps he scared himself jumping in or out one time, and we weren't aware of it? So now what? What can we do to get him to do this again?

We have tried treats, we have tried him watching Della do it, nothing seems to work? I guess, we could try leaving him behind if he won't get in? I just don't know? I just don't want to do the wrong thing and have him develop some weird thing with the truck??? Like those stories you see on the dog training shows?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter just decided to stop jumping into the back of our (small) SUV one day. We got into this bad pattern of giving him a boost to get in (I know we are enablers...). This past weekend we started luring him with a treat and he has been jumping in himself. We knew there was nothing wrong (he jumps up on the bed w/no problem).

Could you try making time in the car super fun for him? Maybe give him a special treat when he's in and settled?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lmtoth2 said:
Dexter just decided to stop jumping into the back of our (small) SUV one day. We got into this bad pattern of giving him a boost to get in (I know we are enablers...). This past weekend we started luring him with a treat and he has been jumping in himself. We knew there was nothing wrong (he jumps up on the bed w/no problem).

Could you try making time in the car super fun for him? Maybe give him a special treat when he's in and settled?
The special treat is what we have been trying... and yes, I know, we are enablers as well... I guess we can try some kind of SUPER DOOPER special treat? Hmmmm... we'll try that...

·
Registered
398 Posts
The thing that gets me is that he seems fine being in or out of the car. It's the actual process of jumping inor out that he doesn't want to do. Right?

What if the car wasn't on the driveway. Maybe if the car was on the lawn?
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dgeggis said:
The thing that gets me is that he seems fine being in or out of the car. It's the actual process of jumping inor out that he doesn't want to do. Right?

What if the car wasn't on the driveway. Maybe if the car was on the lawn?
Any thoughts?
Keep in mind, he will jump on to the driveway out of the sedan, just not the SUV.

Maybe he just finds it amusing?

G

·
I am not letting Maya read this post as she will try to start this too! hahahaha. I tosses apple slices in the back to get Maya to go in sometimes.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Maybe it's us he is finding amusing. :twisted:

He's heard the rumor that some doodles get picked up and he wants his piece. Who knows what they are thinking?

Just today Remy decided that he wants to chew on the sliding door frame. So I put his short leash on and when he went to chew I told him to leave it and gave a tug on the leash. After the second time, he looked up at me went over and took the end of the leash to the door jamb and laid on it while he went back to chewing.

I know I'm not supposed to laugh, But Bwaaaaahaaaa.....
He is sooo cute!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dgeggis said:
Maybe it's us he is finding amusing. :twisted:

He's heard the rumor that some doodles get picked up and he wants his piece. Who knows what they are thinking?

Just today Remy decided that he wants to chew on the sliding door frame. So I put his short leash on and when he went to chew I told him to leave it and gave a tug on the leash. After the second time, he looked up at me went over and took the end of the leash to the door jamb and laid on it while he went back to chewing.

I know I'm not supposed to laugh, But Bwaaaaahaaaa.....
He is sooo cute!
That is hilarious! Aren't they so smart? That reminds me of when Lucas was younger, he would sneak a sock to chew on, and place it under one of his toys, when we glanced at him, all looked okay... but when you really stopped to look??? He hadn't touched his toy, but was chewing on a sock instead!

Back to Lucas and the truck? What if he teaches Della, that it's much cooler to be lifted in and out of the truck???

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Back to Lucas and the truck? What if he teaches Della, that it's much cooler to be lifted in and out of the truck???
I'm cracking up laughing at this post. Let's hope he doesn't teach her that. Give her lots of praise for being a good girl and jumping in ;) Maybe he'll get jealous.

These dogs are so funny. One story (not to hijack or anything :wink: )for awhile, Dexter would refuse to get in the car at all if we put Kirby in first (he has gotten over that). When we forced him into the car he would shun us. He would hang his head over the back seat and refuse to look at us...totally cracked us up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts