Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i've been home from China (got back at 5 am yesterday) I've notice Sampson is super growly. We were laying on the couch watching CSI today and he started growling for no reason. He was laying down a few seconds ago and growling on his blanket.

He also didn't want to go close to our neighbor whom he usually loves to play with but I tyhink thatw as because her husband (he's afraid of men) was there.

Mainly, He has been growling more than usual and I have no idea why...

G

·
Maybe because you were gone? Maya is always more protective of me when I come home from a longer trip. One time she laid on top of me and would not let me up til she was ready! Doodles....

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I agree - I bet it's a response to you being away. I would try to ignore the growling for a day or 2 to see if it stops. Sometimes if you give attention (good or bad) for a behavior the dog will continue to do it. When he's not growling tell him he's a good boy :)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
it s really nice to share such common experiences with other doodle owners..sometimes we are too shy to share a problem cuz we may think it too trivial or worst, embarassing.. :oops:

well, today Tobi growled for the very first time..not much..more like a low hummm..

the posse and i were napping upstairs when all of sudden he bolted down the stairs..half way down the stairs he was stareing out the patio door and growling at something..there were a couple of birds on the fence...
*making of a watch dog*? :p

·
Registered
260 Posts
My Sammy has been doing that too! Tonight she jumped off the couch, ran to the door and started growling and barking - she almost never barks, so it so shocking! I wonder if she can smell some sort of animal outside? Squirrels sometimes like to sit on my front stoop and eat whatever it is they crack open. There is also a groundhog next door and sadly, a pair of stinky skunks. So maybe she smells them!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Louie has been growling at phantoms outside the window, too...Could be birds, squirrels, workers next door, acorns falling, ghosts...????

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sampson has always reacted strongly to small noises (we think because of his bad experience with his former home as a puppy)...

So jumping up and growling at the door is not uncommon but he made a huge fuss over my friend who comes every day before school walked in the door. And then he didn't want to come downstairs this morning even when I called for him...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rocky is more of a barker for no reason. If he even imagines a noise or anything he will bark. Max has started almost hostile barking at other dogs walking in front of our house. He also will do it if the kids ride electric scooters or even scream and yell in front of our house. This behavior is really bothering me. I have contacted a trainer to help me stop this, but no response yet. They both also bark if the dogs across the street bark. This is really getting to my husband and me. I don't want people to think that we have a dangerous dog. Max is 80 pounds and very large (tall). He sounds like he will eat you when he barks, but really just wants you to come pet him. He is very protective of our family. I have noticed that intensify lately. He is 3 this month and rocky is 1. Help!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
our doodles sit and bark at dogs walking past our house too. Dex actually will not do this if it's just him, but once Kirb starts he has to get in on the fun too. We try to work on this with him...when they start barking we call them to "come" to the kitchen and make them sit quietly. We then give them a treat for "good quiet". It kinda works...but Kirby is so focused on those dogs out front sometimes it's hard to get him to listen.

The other thing I'll do is to clap my hands and say "ok enough". This actually worked a bit this morning. They were both still fixated on the dog but they did stop barking. I know both of them just want to meet the dog (and probably wrestle/play with it), but the loud barking annoys the heck out of me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts