Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Since i confirmed the purchase of my labradoodle (i pick her up just after christmas!!!) i have been doing a whole lot of reading on how to look after and train (particularly crate train) a puppy. I haven't had a puppy since i was a kid so i'm pretty new to all this, but very keen to get off to a good start. However, as with most things, there is a lot of contradictory information out there.

I was hoping to get a few further opinions on crate training, and maybe confirm some practices. She will be 8 weeks when i pick her up.

1) Should i put padding (towels, pilliows, foam) in her crate or should i leave it bare? Some say that they need it to be comfortable (and obviously i would like her to be comfortable) but others say that it can encourage peeing in the crate and also encourage attacking washing hanging on the line when she grows up, as she gets used to chewing on towels etc. Is a hesion bag a compromise?

2) At night, when she is in her crate, should i get up half way through the night to take her to pee, or should i try to get her to go through to the morning? Some say that if she wakes up in the middle of the night crying, take her out to pee, but others say that this is only rewarding her for crying. What to do, what to do? :)

3) In the first few weeks (or maybe days) after she comes home, should the crate be in my bedroom so i can comfort her when she cries or should i put the crate somewhere else in the house so her crying is ignored?

All comments and advice are more than appreciated. I am so excited about my new little family member and i want the best for her, but there is so much information out there and most of it is contradictory!

Thanks in advance, from myself and Scout!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
We got Charlie at 8 weeks but every dog is different. We had a large crate with a divider so that he only had a small area. We bought two crate pads as pictured below so that one could be in the laundry as necessary. He did not chew on his pad and only had a rare accident in the crate.

The first two nights, I kept the crate in our room so that I could comfort him. After that he was moved to the kitchen. I would occasionally here a whimper but we left him in the crate from about 10pm to 6am.

I think you will have to see how your puppy handles it. If he chews up his pad or pushes it aside, then maybe he prefers the crate without it. If his padding is wet in the morning, then you may have to do the 4am peepee run for awhile. Have a plan but prepared to play it by ear. :)

Deb

·
Registered
448 Posts
When I first got Nicky I had a large crate for him but didn't use the divider that came with it. I did get a crate pad like DebBrown pictured in her post. The crate stayed in the kitchen/dining area until recently. Now Nicky isn't crated at any time. I removed the crate pad and Nicky sleeps on it in my bedroom now. He may decide to sleep on a cooler floor come summer, like he did before it turned cold.

For the first few nights Nicky cried a while in his crate, but then went to sleep. If I heard him wake up during the night I took him out to pee. I still take him outside before I go to bed, in hopes he won't wake me up before dawn! This morning he was up around 5, but after going outside, we both went back to sleep until 7:45.

I was very glad to have the crate! It was his safe place to be at night and also when I had to go out in the daytime.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As Deb rightly said every puppy is different. Below is my experience with Emilty, who has been with me since she was 8 weeks old (she is also my first dog since I was a kid):

1. I did use a crate pad and a blanket from day one. She never chewed on it or peed in her crate. She did take her blanket out of crate during the day and walked around the house with it :D
2. when I first got her, I would put her in crate around 11:30 pm and wake up at 4am to take her out. Several times I had to wake her up :D . and Then again at 7am. I did that for 2 weeks and then she stayed in crate from 11:30/midnight when I go to bed to 7am
3. I always kept crate at kitchen. I do want my bedroom for myself (but most others here in forum have crate in bedroom). She never complained except a few times during the day. The breeder had gotten her used to crate since she was shipped to me.

Hope this helps. They ware wonderful dogs and will become best friend real fast. Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I never used bedding in Sandy's crate because he preferred to sleep on hard surfaces at that age. I think it took him until 4-5 months before he changed his preference to soft :) I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but he has never had an accident in his crate that wasn't directly my fault.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver has the same mat in his crate that Deb showed.
He had a medium size for a while but now has the largest I could buy.......
He goes there when he wants to now as he has free roam of the house
and sleeps in our bed................

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've had Sam for about 3 weeks and I got him at 8 weeks of age. He loves his crate as I started that as soon as I got him. His create is lined with an old towel but when it's warm, he moves his towel to the side and lies on the bare floor of the crate. Initially, I was taking him out about twice a night. Now, he's starting to sleep through the night and if I wake up part way through the night, I take him outside once. I generally stop his water around 7.00 pm and he generally goes to sleep around 9.00 or 9.30. Even if he's already asleep, I take him out just before I got to bed, generally about 10.30.

Sam's crate is in my bedroom but he's really very good about it. He loves his crate as it's his little safe place that he uses to relax in. There was a bit of crying in the first night but I put a toy with a ticking clock and I tapped the outside of his crate. This seemed to settle him and I only did it for a couple of nights.

Yes definitely ignore the crying. It can get a bit distressing but it's definitely worth the perseverence. Now, he's nearly 11 weeks, he plays little whimpering games to see if he can get anyone's attention. He'll sit in his crate and whimper and a couple of times, I caught him out and he gave me the "what????" look, which is oh so cute and definitely cheeky.

Welcome to the world of doodles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
1) We never used bedding. Cody seemed to prefer a hard surface (and for the most part still does, though he will nap on the couch or 'his' chair from time to time.

2) We keep a crate in our room and a crate downstairs. When we first brought him home, he'd sleep exclusively in the crate in our room. As a young pup, we would occassionally have to get up with him in the middle of the night to take him to pee if he fussed, but that didn't last long. Of course I'm an early riser for work, so he got accustomed to going out when I get up at 4:30/5 - worked well M-F, stunk on Sat/Sun. :D I looked at our new pup (7 weeks old) as a baby. You wouldn't deny a newborn a diaper change in the middle of the night to try to teach them to sleep through the night so why do that to a new pup?

3) We found that our Cody likes to be with us so we have continued to keep him in our room in a crate. From time to time he's too tired to come upstairs so he sleeps in his crate downstairs.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
debbildog said:
I never used bedding in Sandy's crate because he preferred to sleep on hard surfaces at that age. I think it took him until 4-5 months before he changed his preference to soft :) I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but he has never had an accident in his crate that wasn't directly my fault.
ditto here!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
We got Murphy at 8 weeks and at first put the crate in the laundry room, he didn't like that AT ALL! He cried for 2 nights straight, on the 3rd it went in our room and he slept great. It took him about a week to be able to sleep through the night without having to go pee, but they are all different. Our German Shorthaired Pointer is 2 months younger, we've had him about 1 1/2 months or so and still sometimes gets us up to go out and pee. Trooper, the GSP, likes to sleep on a pad in his crate and there is a bed in the kitchen he likes, where Murphy pushes his pad to the side in the crate and prefers the kitchen floor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts