Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chouette has twice urinated when excited because one of our kids came in and made a fuss over her. Earlier today our daughter showed up and when she walked onto the porch, saying "Hi!" to Chou in an excited voice, Chouette got up and began wagging her tail madly and then started leaking - all over me. We just scooped her up quietly and deposited her outside, where she finished up to praise. I have to tell them to cool it when they come, so we can get past that hurdle. Normally I don't even talk to the puppy when I first come home, but I guess I've never passed that knowledge on to my kids. Any of you have any other ideas for dealing with this?

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
yes, till she gets older don't have the kids do the "sweet high pitched baby talk"....max did that when he was 4mos old and would dribble all over with me running outside quickly with him. I stopped it till he got older hahahhahahaa I find once their 6 or 7 mos old usually they can handle the baby talk.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Hmmmm. Coco had certain people she would dribble over!! Now, it still happens with certain ones and some strangers....doesn't seem to be in response to the high pitched, excited voice....but who it is. Happened a lot until a couple of months ago....She is 7 months old now....Used to happen everytime we went to the vet....but not now. Guess they grow out of it, thankfully.

Not fussing over her helped, and telling folks to give us warning when coming in.....so I could leash Coco and take her out to greet them, and sub. pee outside!!

Hopefully, not on the visitor's feet. :oops:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have a friend i've known for 20yrs and her border collie Angel is now 9yr old and when i visit we go outside for 10-15min. She gets a bit too excited when i come over, crying and such and let's just say i always have a change of clothes in my SUV just in case :wink:
hahhahaha Angel has let loose on my lap about 2 times and got me good. I can't get upset and just take a quick shower and change. I guess i am the only one she does this with. hahhahahhaaa

·
Registered
273 Posts
For the most part Dante has outgrown his submissive urination except for with one neighbor who always greets him too enthusiastically no matter what I tell them to do.

However, just this week Dante was not staying in a sit for me to get his leash on and wiggling all over the place. I gave him a rather loud and stern sit and was rewarded with a sit and urine :oops: !

·
Registered
177 Posts
Abby is over 5 months old and still piddles when people come over and I was told never to punish her. I have told friends and family when they come over to ignore her for 5 minutes until she calms down, which seems to help. Also, if I know anyone is coming over I take her outside and tell her to "potty". She still pees on people outside and I always warn them :roll:

·
Registered
176 Posts
We had this issue with Pepper. It was only with a few people that she likes a lot. It is something that most will grow out of, unless they are really submissive. I'd like to think of it as an "excited pee". I would take her out a head of time and let my friends know that they should not greet her in any way when they come over. Plus, as a puppy in training, she needs to not have excited greetings with anyone. All wourked out and she out grew this by 8 months max, I think.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cody is 16 weeks old and does this when he meets new people, but oddly enough only when he meets new people OUTSIDE. He will not sub. pee inside our house for some reason. Unfortunately most new people he meets are outside. :p
Next month we'll see what happens when he meets new people in another house (DH is taking Cody & kids to visit his family).
For now I just make sure I warn people to be careful when they go to pet him and hope he grows out of this (Vet said he should by about a year or so).

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the reassuring anecdotes. So far Chouette has only done it twice, but my daughter's coming over in a bit and we'll see how she handles it. Linnet watched her a few Sundays ago when my husband and I had to go to an all-day art show, so there was a bit of a bond there. I did tell Linnet to ignore her at first when she arrives so I hope she remembers.

Now if I can just get her to realize that all those "Good Chouettes!" when she piddles outside mean she's not supposed to do it inside. She still slips up every few days when I forget to watch her like a hawk! On the other hand we took her by boat to an outdoor festival today, and our friend who came with us was so impressed by the way Chou walks quietly by me and sits when I stop. Her daughter would love to have a labradoodle; she's bringing her over tomorrow to meet Chouette.

Leslie

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
annabelle is 14 months and still does the nervous pee at times, not all the time, but generally its our neighors that she love :( I hope she outgrows it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts