Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month old Sadie sometimes "leaks" when she is greeted by people. Is this what they call submissive urination? She does it with strangers and sometimes with people she knows. My husband takes her to work with him when I am at work so she won't be home alone. She gets to see lots of people in a day and often will pee a little when they are greeting her. Is there anything I can do to stop her? She is peeing on the carpets and on the hardwood floors (just a little) but I'm worried about the lasting scent. We are going through a lot of enzymatic cleaner! Is this something she will outgrow?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hello! Yes, that is submissive urination. You're right, it happens when someone comes in the door, or when they meet someone, or just when they get really excited. Summer did it right around 4 months also. Everything we read about it says they will grow out of it. Summer only did it for a week or two. The important thing is to make sure that you don't get mad or upset at Sadie. If you yell or get upset, then the pup will just be even more scared. They can't control it, and if you make a big deal out of it, so will Sadie. It's not a housetraining issue. Just ignore her and the accident and keep on cleaning it up with an ezymatic cleaner (like Nature's miracle). We went through a lot of it too, but its great stuff so buy more! Summer is housebroken, but we still use it for vomit and other stuff around the house! I found that if you just walk in the house and ignore them for the first minute or two (no hugs and kisses, no eye contact, no high pitched voices, no talking), it helps. It also might help to take her outside to go potty when you know someone is coming over or before a time when you think she might piddle in the house. Hope this helps! Good luck and enjoy puppyhood!!!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Jannine,

Our 4 month old does it too. He squirts a little here and there...even on peoples shoes... whenever he sees anyone and gets excited!!! He does it even when he was just taken out. He somehow finds a little bit more to let out out of excitement. I know how you feel and we cross our fingers that he will grow out of it soon!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi,
Bridget has given you great information.
The submissive peeing does generally stop on its own. Some dogs outgrow it sooner than others.
You might want to put the little diapers on her if it is causing a problem for carpeting and flooring (not to mention shoes!) But the problem with diapers is that if they pee in the diaper, they can get infections...so watch carefully.
It is actually a compliment when they do this...in the dog world, it is like saying, "I acknowledge that you are the top dog and I won't challenge you." That's why it is referred to as "submissive".
Generally older dogs replace the urination with rolling over or play bowing...but there are times when it continues, although that is rare.
I have a favorite site for information and I just checked it, putting in the search for submissive urination. Here are the results:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bridget and Jac for the info

That website looks great Jac, I'm sure I will be visiting it often.

I do hope Sadie will grow out of it soon. I will celebrate the day I can walk into a pet store and not have to walk out with another super sized bottle of Nature's Miracle!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts