Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm about to pull my hair out today I'm home from work with a sick child and a 9 mth puppy who is pulling stubborn stunts lately. Gordo started this about a week ago where if I tell him something he won't mind but if my husband tells him something he immediately does it. I know he is trying me (must be in the teenager years) which is to be expected but does anyone have any suggestions? I'v had to put him in his crate several times today because he won't mind. Is this a good idea or am I teaching him that his crate is a bad place by doing this because he won't even go to it now when I tell him to go home? If I tell him no furniture and take him out of one chair he will head for the other chair and continue in a circle and he looks at me with those eyes like what are you going to do about it mom. I love Gordo to death and I know there will be trying days but does anyone have some words of advice on how to handle a stubborn dog? He is in obediance training and is doing a great job but seems to lose it when we get home.

Thank You!!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Gordo sounds like he needs to be tethered to you! I did this when my 10 month old was younger. I attached a leash to my belt and Summer had to follow me around everywhere I went. I think it helps with the listening because they HAVE to do what you ask them to, and they can't run away from you! Plus it wears them out because they have to walk around the house! Or just keeping a leash on him might help. That way you can grab his leash if he doesn't listen. I wouldn't put him in his crate as a punishment because then they won't want to go in there! It should be a safe place for him to relax, not a jail. Hope this helps a little... good luck!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice I will give that a try. I would have never thought of tethering him to me but it does make sense and great advice. I won't put Gordo in the crate any more as a punishment I don't want him to hate it I want him to feel that it is a safe place for him. I guess I thought of it as sending him to his room for a time out when we both needed a break but your advice has made me think otherwise. Heading for a leash and will give it a try.

Thank you again and greatly appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been trying the tethering with Gordo the last couple of days and he gives me fits with it. He fights the leash because he wants it off since we are in the house. He pulls and fights on it constantly to where he is making my arm sore. Is this what happened to both of you and finally they just give up and settle down or do I just have a very stubbon puppy? :lol: I don't give up easily so am wondering if this is the norm or should I try something different? Thanks for all of your advice this forum is great!!! I love my labradoodle!! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you using a prong collar? Even though they look cruel, I was told they are easier on a dogs neck than a regular collar because they won't jerk. My Ruby behaves when I have her prong collar on, my problem is when it is not on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I wasn't using a prong collar but will check into getting one and seeing if that resolves the issue. Thanks for your advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts