Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We really got nailed today. It was very unexpected too. We were out in the yard playing catch with Bogart and doing some gardening.
This thing hit fast! It was muggy and somewhat sunny and BAM!
I barely got Bogie in the house.........my husband got caught in it running from the garage. I mean I told him to get in the house! :roll:
We hit the basement fast.
Trees are down everywhere and some homes and cars were hit with trees.
I heard one woman say it was a tornado, but it wasn't confirmed.
I HATE that kind of stuff!
How did you do in your litle corner of the world today? Storms? Everyone okay?

·
Registered
448 Posts
No storms, just unbelievable heat! It was 99 degrees F. today. Nicky and I stayed inside most of the day with the air conditioning running overtime!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
It seems like all it knows how to do right now is be windy and/or rain every day!
We've had trees down in town twice in the past week, can't get the lawns mowed because it's so wet; but are fortunate that all we've had down in our yard so far are small branches and leaves.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
We have had storms but have missed the bad stuff. The south chicago suburbs were hit hard Saturday. My parents are in the western burbs of Detroit, they lost power last night, good thing they have a generator. Glad to here you guys weren't hurt.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
It was kinda a tornado. About 30 miles from us they say they saw the clouds form and we had a tree branch fall in the front yard. It didn't it our fence thank goodness. And we stayed in our very small bathroom downstairs with three boys and two doodles. It was funny to see. But we sang camp songs and rain rain go away. Plus we talked about the what everyone wanted to do this summer.

We were fine. My husband was at work with it hit.(the storm)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
That's scary Linda - glad you are ok.

We had our first major thunderstorm of the year last night...poor Kirby is afraid of the loud thunder (I should not be surprised, he is scared of many things). My husband was able to calm him down though...

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Happy to hear you're ok Linda! I hate weather like that! Bad thunderstorm last nite, and heat today and tomorrow of 97+..yuck..plus humidity on top of that!! Think I'll stay inside with Molly and Raleigh where it's cool! :wink:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lisa.......we live in that area too in Oakland County!..........Birmingham.
Just 2 miles North of us in Bloomfield Twp., power was out and trees were down too. Is your parents power restored? We only lost power for about 3 minutes. We don't have a generator.
There's a swim/hunt club about 5 miles from here. The people and kids were simming and the life guard blew the whistle for people to get out and RUN.......there was enough time to evacuate and get into the parking lot when the roof of the clubhouse blew off! :shock:
Looks like we can expect the same kind of thing today. In the 90's.......and expected thunderstorms. With that kind of heat, I'll bet it'll be the same kind of ordeal. maybe we should just live in the basement until this is over.. :roll:
I don't mind a good rain and mild thunder and lightening. That's kind of cool.........but this is frightening stuff!

Samantha..........I had heard that Indiana was getting it pretty bad too. Glad you're okay too...............and everyone else. Rain, rain.....go away!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Folks here in Madison and the surrounding area have pretty much had the same problems as some of you. High straight line winds as well as a few tornadoes where the norm this weekend. We had a rainy week last week and this weekend we got 6.5 inches of rain.

Newspaper Quotes:
This weekend's storms brought heavy rains and some tornadoes that caused wide-ranging damage and some flooding-related evacuations in the southern part of the state.
Gov. Jim Doyle declared a state of emergency late Sunday night for 30 counties due to severe storms and flooding. The declaration allows Wisconsin's Adjutant Gen. Don Dunbar to activate National Guard troops to assist the affected counties as necessary.
There has been widespread flooding and severe storms throughout the weekend, causing damage to homes and businesses, washing out numerous roads and bringing down power lines and trees. There have been no reports of serious injuries or death. The flooding has caused evacuations in at least nine Wisconsin counties and at least 11 emergency shelters have been set up statewide.
Fortunately no injuries or worse, but some of the destruction locally as well as the region has been devastating. I fortunately am not a victim. A couple loose vinyl siding pieces that I attempted to fix but the rain, wind lightning and tornado warning sirens got me back before i could complete the job. I will be helping a friend this evening clean up a large fallen maple tree from his yard that ended up in the street. Standing water is everywhere and the threat of more rain this week means more trouble for already flooded areas.

Scences like this, with frequent warning sirens were frequent this weekend. This was taken by a woman I work with at her home.

Marley was not effected in the least. Saturday night 3 AM I was awaken by a large boom and damn near felt it. I looked out the window to see if my deck was still there!!! :lol: After seeing it was, I went down stairs to see if Marley (he likes his new independence of run of the house and usually heads down stairs aftyer we go to sleep) was frightened. He was lying down in front of the sliding glass doors taking in the show. No Problem.

Storm what storm????I took this on Friday afternoon, before things started getting ugly. Oddly, occassionally the sun would peak out from time to time between bouts of rain, wind and sirens.

This morning I arrived at work just in time for the entire building to lose power. Back up generators had been working since 8 PM last night. They over heated and shut down. I work for a large Mid western insurance company, American Family. We provide Tedchnical Computer Services to the entire company nationwide. So things were a litle hairy. We got back up by 11 AM, so disaster was averted. Cause? Water reach power souces outside the building.

Good luck to all others experiencing "Nature's Wrath"!! :twisted:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
To EVERYONE: for those of you being HIT i am glad to hear you're safe and sound and pray no one has any damage.

here: other night the severe storm w/60mph+winds died out just before it hit my area (whew)

today at 1pm the temp is 94degrees and sunny
last night we only had a 10min downpour and again storm died out
Saturday downed power lines near water source left us without power only for short while.
(as 5 years ago we had 120mph winds hit with 1000's of trees down,
no one hurt but OMG!)

PLEASE stay safe !!and if winds pick up or sky turns fast, run inside
OR if your doodle starts acting totally nuts, barking like mad and antsy
THEY do here before we get bad storms so i take notice bigtime now.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We're kind of getting used to the every other day storm warnings. It's not a good thing to get too complacent though. I have family still living in Indiana and they are all safe, so I'm thankful for that.

Storms don't bother Cinnamon in the least. She's like Marley, she likes the light show, if she pays attention to it at all.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We found out that Bogart is okay with thunder..........he barks at it! :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts